KARACHI: Another case of Naegleria fowleri, commonly known as brain-eating amoeba, was reported in a private hospital in the city on Friday where 11 people have already died from this deadly infection in Karachi so far this year.
A 16-year old youngster, Mohammad Shoaib, is under treatment in the National Medical Centre (NMC), Karachi. Shoaib is a resident of Mehmoodabad area.
According to the directorate of general health services, the 11 deaths were reported from both private and public sector hospitals of Karachi from April 14 to July 27.
The brain infection occurs when contaminated water from sources such as inadequately chlorinated water of swimming pools or contaminated tap water enters the nose when people submerge their heads in water or cleanse their noses. The amoeba enters through a person’s nose and starts consuming brain tissues.
The amoeba thrives in warm water and can survive in high temperatures. The freshwater bodies such as ponds, lakes, swimming pools, as well as underground and overhead tanks are the most common points where it is found.
Published in Dawn, August 24th, 2019