KARACHI, Oct 21: Investigators have concluded that Thursday’s blasts in Benazir Bhutto’s homecoming procession were caused by twin sui-

cide bombings of varying intensities, sources close to a top police investigation team told Dawn.

The Sindh police chief had on Thursday night told the me-

dia that the first blast was caused by a hand-grenade and the second was of a suicide bombing.

However, during the course of investigation police have reached an opinion that the first blast was also result of a suicide bombing, although it was of less intensity compared with the second blast.

On Friday morning, during the evidence gathering from the blasts site, police found a severed head, with its one side intact. Police with the help doctors planned to carry out a reconstruction surgery of the face so that it could become identifiable, a senior police officer told Dawn on condition of anonymity.

Since the provincial police chief had stated that the first blast was caused by the hand-grenade, no police officer was wiling to contradict his statement by coming on record, he added.

Opinion

Editorial

External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...
Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...