SWAT: The tourists visiting Malam Jabba said here on Sunday they were disappointed by the closure of chairlift, skiing and other facilities in the ski resort.
They said that they visited Malam Jabba to enjoy rides in the chairlift and zipline and watch skiing but became disappointed when they found the ski resort closed.
“Every winter we visit Malam Jabba to enjoy the chairlift ride on the white snow and the scenes around. Last year, we enjoyed the zipline ride too but this year not only the chairlift is not functional but the zipline has been closed too,” said Rashid Khan, a tourist from Rawalpindi.
The tourists said that although they enjoyed snow in Malam Jabba yet they were deprived of the real fun to ski and skate.
Entertainment activities were closed four months ago after attack on staff, says ski resort spokesman
“Last year, we watched different snow-related activities including skiing, snow tubing, ice skating, and chairlift riding in news channels but we were shocked to see them closed when we arrived here. Riding zipline was my dream and I wanted to fulfill it here in Malam Jabba but it remained my dream as the ski resort management has closed it,” said Ayesha Ahmad, a tourist from Islamabad.
The tourists said that there were several other tourist resorts where heavy snow fell but they visited Malam Jabba for the snow-related entertainment activities.
“Majority of tourists come here to enjoy chairlift and zipline rides on the snow but this year all these activities are not available so we are going back heartbroken,” said Shafqat Ali, a tourist from Karachi. He added that they travelled from Karachi to have rides on chairlift and zipline during the snowfall season.
Some tourists said that every year Malam Jabba Ski Resort hosted national and international ski championships but this year there was no sign of skiing in the ski resort.
The spokesman for the ski resort, when contacted, said that all the entertainment activities in the resort were closed four months ago after some people, in presence of policemen, attacked the security officials of the resort and broke the entry checkpost.
“We will not open the entertainment activities and machinery until the district administration resolves the security issue of our resort and staff on a permanent basis,” he said.
Deputy Commissioner Junaid Khan did not respond to the telephone calls and messages by this scribe to get his version.
Published in Dawn, January 3rd, 2022