Govt rejects Musharraf's petition to strike name off ECL
ISLAMABAD: The government has rejected former military ruler General (retd) Pervez Musharraf’s application seeking removal of his name from the Exit Control List (ECL), DawnNews reported.
The Interior Ministry has also formally notified Musharraf in this regard.
Sources said the former president will approach the High Court in order to seek removal of his name from the ECL. It is also expected that an application will be submitted in the Sindh High Court.
Earlier on Monday, the special court which indicted Musharraf for high treason charges had put the ball in the government's court in relation to the request put forward by the former president to be allowed to travel abroad.
The court had also granted Musharraf exemption from appearing in the case's hearings saying the accused could be ordered to appear in court whenever required.
The decision had said that as long as the accused was not in custody, he could seek medical treatment at any place of his choice, adding that an accused could not be restrained from travelling nor could his/her rights as a human being be curtailed for any reason.
However, the court had added that removal of Musharraf's name from ECL was not the prerogative of the special court as it had not ordered for the inclusion of his name in the list in the first place.