Punjab launches third phase of deporting Afghans

Published October 12, 2025
A Taliban security personnel stands guard as Afghans deported from Pakistan arrive at a registration centre at Takhta Pul in Kandahar province on October 9, 2025. — AFP
A Taliban security personnel stands guard as Afghans deported from Pakistan arrive at a registration centre at Takhta Pul in Kandahar province on October 9, 2025. — AFP

LAHORE: The Punjab government has launched the third phase of deporting illegal Afghan residents as it identified some 123 more such Afghans and brought them to holding centres for their deportation.

The Punjab government claims to have already repatriated some 42,913 Afghan nationals since April 1, 2025, as part of Pakistan’s Illegal Foreigner Repatriation Plan (IFRP).

The government is identifying the Afghan nationals, who have no legal documents to be in Pakistan or have overstayed for more than a year.

The government is still having 46 functional holding centres in the province, including five in Lahore, and holds illegally staying Afghan nationals until they are transported to the Torkham Border for crossing over to Afghanistan.

Punjab IGP Dr Usman Anwar says the police are on high alert across the province and ensuring picking up of illegally residing Afghan nationals for their repatriation as per international laws. He says the government is making its utmost effort to ensure human dignity and rights in the process of Afghans’ repatriation.

Dr Anwar says the Punjab Police has so far deported some 21,805 illegally staying Afghans and other foreigners.

It may be mentioned that the federal government had last month denotified the last Afghan Refugee Camp in Mianwali as well as four such camps in Khyber Pakhtunkhwa and 10 camps in Balochistan.

Since the bulk of Afghan nationals, lacking valid documents, has been repatriated, Punjab Home Secretary Dr Ahmad Javed Qazi said now there was no operational Afghan Refugee Camp in the province after the closure of Mianwali’s “Kot Chandna” camp.

He said the Afghans, who came across the law enforcement agencies, were being taken to the holding centres at the district level where their boarding, lodging and food was taken care of by the Punjab government through respective deputy commissioners. Then, he said, they were transported to the Torkham Border at the expense of the Punjab government.

“All Afghans residing in Pakistan shall have to leave except those having valid visas,” he asserted.

The UN’s refugee agency had reported that more than 3.5 million Afghans had been living in Pakistan, including around 700,000 people who came after the Taliban takeover in 2021. The UN estimated that half of them were undocumented.

Though Pakistan had taken care of Afghans during the past decades of war, the government is now compelled to say that the high number of refugees is eventually posing risks to national security and causing pressure on public services.

Published in Dawn, October 12th, 2025

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...