Symposium on ‘safety and protection’ of journalists held in Karachi

Published December 12, 2022
Panelists attend a symposium on the safety and protection of journalists at the IBA Centre of Excellence in Journalism in Karachi. — Photo by author
Panelists attend a symposium on the safety and protection of journalists at the IBA Centre of Excellence in Journalism in Karachi. — Photo by author

A collapsing criminal justice system, a state that is routinely accused of complicity and political and social instability means that those who murder journalists continue to get away scot-free. This culture of impunity has flourished and pervaded across tiers of society but can be combatted through unconventional solutions like a people’s tribunal.

This was among the opinions expressed by journalists at a symposium on the safety and protection of journalists in Karachi on Monday.

It was organised by the Centre of Excellence in Journalism at IBA, Karachi, in collaboration with press freedom bodies Free Press Unlimited, Committee to Protect Journalists and Reporters Without Borders (RSF) as part of their global ‘A Safer World For The Truth’ project.

The panelists at the symposium included journalists Owais Tohid, Nazeer Laghari, and Mehmal Sarfaraz with Amber Rahim Shamsi moderating.

Journalist Hamid Mir, one of the panelists who joined the discussion virtually, cited the example of the people’s tribunal that was held at The Hauge earlier this year which investigated unsolved murder cases of journalists from around the world.

It included the case of Zubair Ahmed Mujahid, a Pakistani journalist who was murdered in Mirpurkhas in 2007.

Lawyer Faisal Siddiqi, another panelist who recently filed a plea for a fresh murder investigation on behalf of Mujahid’s family, said that the formation of judicial commissions and joint investigation teams in such matters is often an eyewash, with the perpetrators unlikely to be identified.

He cited Mujahid’s case, in which investigators had failed to identify a single suspect despite the passage of 15 years and multiple reinvestigations.

Jos Bartman — a research coordinator for ‘A Safer World for The Truth’ — who joined the discussion virtually from Amsterdam, said that the FPU-led investigation found major deficiencies in the investigation with the police not considering his journalistic work as a motive for murder.

The symposium also included a documentary on Mujahid’s murder.

Separately, the panelists paid tribute to journalist Arshad Sharif, who was brutally murdered in Kenya two months ago.

Journalist Munizae Jahangir, who also runs a digital platform, said it was important to ask questions about the murder of journalists.

She added that her platform documents those who file sedition cases against journalists and how it showed state complicity. “Everyone knows the nameless, faceless people behind the intimidation of journalists.”

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...