KARACHI: Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon resigned from the provincial cabinet on Friday after meeting President Asif Ali Zardari.
A day earlier, the Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM) had objected to Mr Memon’s journey to London along with former home minister Dr Zulfikar Mirza.
Although the outgoing minister termed his move voluntary, sources close to the Sindh government saw it as the result of a recent meeting held by MQM’s leaders with President Zardari after Dr Mirza took off for London to meet Scotland Yard officials investigating the murder of Dr Imran Farooq.
“My ministry belongs to the party,” Mr Memon told Dawn in a brief response. “I have voluntarily offered to resign and forwarded my resignation to President Zardari because I believe that I should no more hold the office if I have been a source of embarrassment to the party. Ministries have never been a charm for a true political worker.”
Mr Memon denied that he had been asked to resign, adding he had been summoned to meet President Zardari only to explain the ‘situation that emerged’ during the past few days.
Only on Monday, a provincial minister said to be close to Dr Mirza lost his portfolio when the chief minister allocated the jail department to Law Minister Ayaz Soomro.
A senior PPP leader said the recent moves were in line with Mr Zardari’s ‘reconciliation policy’, refusing to rule out Mr Memon having resigned to fulfill MQM’s demand.
“A message has been conveyed well to every member of the cabinet and parliament from the party. If someone deviates from the policy of reconciliation or becomes a source of tension between the two parties, he may face the same fate,” he added.