FBI searches Washington Post journalist’s home in security probe

Published January 15, 2026
The newspaper’s banner logo is seen during the grand opening of the Washington Post newsroom in Washington, January 28, 2016. — Reuters/ File
The newspaper’s banner logo is seen during the grand opening of the Washington Post newsroom in Washington, January 28, 2016. — Reuters/ File

WASHINGTON: Agents of the Federal Bureau of Investigation searched a Washington Post reporter’s home on Wednesday as part of an investigation into sharing secret government information, in a move that advocates said threatened press freedom.

The reporter, Hannah Natanson, has covered President Donald Trump’s campaign to fire hundreds of thousands of federal workers and shift remaining workers to implementing his agenda.

Attorney General Pam Bondi said federal agents had executed the search at the request of the Defence Department. The Justice Department last year reversed a policy that had barred prosecutors from seizing records from reporters in most circumstances.

Natanson wrote a story last month about her personal experience covering the effort titled “I am The Post’s ‘federal government whisperer’. It’s been brutal.” In it, Natanson related the relentless pace of calls and messages she received from former and current federal employees frustrated by the changes.

The newspaper reported that Natanson was present for the search of her Virginia home. It reported that the search was linked to the case against Aurelio Perez-Lugones, a technology specialist for a US government contractor who was charged last week with unlawful retention of national defence information.

Prosecutors alleged that Perez-Lugones took screenshots of classified intelligence reports and printed those documents, according to a criminal complaint.

Investigators also found documents marked “secret” in a lunchbox in Perez-Lugones’s car and in his basement, according to an FBI affidavit. “The Trump administration will not tolerate illegal leaks of classified information that, when reported, pose a grave risk to our Nations national security,” Bondi said on X.

Advocates of press freedom said the search was a dramatic escalation in the administration’s ongoing attacks on news media.

“Searches of newsrooms and journalists are hallmarks of illiberal regimes, and we must ensure that these practices are not normalised here,” said Jameel Jaffer, executive director of the Knight First Amendment Institute.

Published in Dawn, January 15th, 2026

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...