Summoning of CMs by NAB not decent, says Murad

Updated 08 Aug 2020

Email

Sindh CM Murad Ali Shah says people are appreciating work done by Sindh govt. — DawnNewsTV/File
Sindh CM Murad Ali Shah says people are appreciating work done by Sindh govt. — DawnNewsTV/File

KARACHI: Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah on Friday said that the NAB authorities frequently summoned him in “baseless inquiries”, which was not decent.

“Instead of summoning the chief executive/chief minister of any province, NAB authorities should visit the CM to get his answers to their questions.”

This he said while talking to the media just after his visit to three districts of the city at Shaheed-i-Millat underpass near Tariq Road.

Replying to a question, Mr Shah said that NAB had been summoning him off and on in such inquiries which had nothing to do with him. “Anyhow, they have the mandate to conduct inquiries but it is not a decent way to summon an elected and sitting chief minister of any province to NAB office where public servant start him questioning,” he said and added “the NAB officers, assigned to conduct an inquiry against any chief minister, should visit him to inquire into the matter and when the inquiry is matured action should be taken accordingly.”

The CM said that he had been called to NAB office off and on at the initial stage of an inquiry and added “I am sure at the end of the day these inquiries would not substantiate against me but every summon has proved to be my character assassination.”

Says people are appreciating work done by Sindh govt

Encroachments

To a question, the CM said that the names of businessmen and builders who had established petrol pumps, filling stations and apartments illegally on storm-water drains would be made public through national media just after the ongoing monsoon spell.

He said that various builders and businessmen had constructed apartments, houses, petrol pumps and other such establishments on nullahs. “I have directed the local government department to prepare a list of builders/owners along with their name and name of their establishments constructed on the [nullahs] and I would make their names public,” he vowed.

Mr Shah said that due to their illegal construction the entire water disposal system got choked and inundated various roads, therefore they must be exposed for “enmity” with this city.

He also said that he had already ordered removal of such illegal structures.

The CM said that he returned from Islamabad on Friday morning and found the entire Sharea Faisal clear from rainwater. “I would request the media to show our performance to the people through photos and footage as it [media] had been showing submerged roads during the last spells of downpour,” he said.

The CM said: “I don’t care what our opponents say about the performance of the Sindh government but I am quite satisfied with the work we have been doing and people ... are appreciating us.”

He added that all the provincial ministers, advisors, special assistants and MPAs were on the roads to monitor relief work.

To a question, the chief minister said that it was the responsibility of the federal government to extend a helping hand to provinces at the time of need. “I appreciate the NDMA has started cleaning of three [nullahs] to support the Sindh government,” he said and hoped a similar support would continue in completion and launching of megaprojects.

Earlier, the chief minister along with provincial ministers Saeed Ghani, Syed Nasir Shah and advisor Murtaza Wahab visited three districts — South, Korangi and Central — and personally viewed removal of sludge from nullahs and disposal of rainwater accumulated in low-lying areas.

Published in Dawn, August 8th, 2020