FIVE children, from 18-month-old to 10 years, besides their aunt, died in Karachi on Friday because they ate restaurant food which was toxic.
Their father who had brought the food from a Saddar restaurant and gave it to his family didn’t know that he was giving them poison.
They were taken to hospital, but to no avaial. Their mother too fell ill but survived.
This is not the first tragedy of its kind in Karachi – or in Pakistan. Some two months back, two young boys died from food poisoning in Karachi.
It is time Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah and the Sindh food authority acted firmly to punish those responsible for selling toxic food to stop such tragedies in future.
Published in Dawn, February 26th, 2019