QUETTA: A miner died after inhaling poisonous gas accumulated in a mine in the Duki area of Loralai district on Tuesday.
The victim was working deep inside the mine when the incident occurred, Levies officials said.
His fellow workers took him to a nearby health facility, where the doctors declared him dead. “The inhaling of poisonous gas caused the death,” an official said.
Last week, eight coal miners lost their lives in three similar incidents in the Sorrange coalfield, some 30 kilometres east of Quetta.
Balochistan’s coal mines are said to be among the world’s deadliest, claiming the lives of several workers every year amid lack of regulatory framework and safety arrangements.
Published in Dawn, September 13th, 2017