Yaumi-i-Ishq-i-Rasool day, pakistan protests, karachi protests, hasaan haider, hasaan haider dawn.com, innocence of muslims, anti-islam

Can this be called the innocence of Muslims? - Photo by AFP

A Dawn.com staff member narrates his journey from a mosque in Karachi’s DHA locality towards the office during the “Yaum-i-Ishq-i-Rasool” protests on Friday.

2:30 PM: The purpose of standing side by side with your Muslim brothers in congregation during Friday prayers, be it anywhere in the world, is to achieve unison, a peace of mind, and social as well as spiritual contentment. Unfortunately, as I made my way out of one of the largest mosque’s located in the DHA area of Karachi, I saw countless children leading a contingent of ‘namaazis’ (prayer attendees) outside the main gate without even attending the post prayer ‘dua.’

I heard some of them say, “We are late. Hurry! Hurry!” As I wondered why they were happily running outside, I saw a huge American flag painted on the road right outside the mosque where the children began assembling in a circular group with flags, banners, effigies and loud speakers they unloaded from a pickup van.

As I made my way out of this before things got out of hand I saw helpless DHA police just standing outside their vans telling each other to only standby.

2:45 PM: I made my way into the narrow streets and back alleys of DHA Phase II, trying to find a car mechanic due to an emergency, avoiding the main roads as I had rightly assumed that after their ‘spiritual attainment in congregation’ the namaazis would begin ‘terrorising’ the citizens of Karachi.

To my amazement, every nook and corner had small groups of protestors (mostly children, who had enough confidence in them to scare away passersby with facial expressions, hand signals and often verbal taunts) assembling into larger contingents chanting with effigies, with tyres in hand (ready to be burnt) and sticks carved out of any material possible.

Alas, I gave up my search for a mechanic and began my quest to return home which was mathematically just 120 seconds away from where I was. Obviously this was no situation for any math, just like there is never any place for any education. It took me a whole 20 minutes to get home after trying four different possible routes including the main ‘Kaala Pul,’ which had been blocked by an extremely large hoard of protestors burning whatever they could get their hands on.

4:30 PM: To make my way to the Dawn.com office located on Dr Zia-ud-din Ahmed Road, I was told that only one route was open. As I made my way to the routes leading to that ‘specific route’ I felt danger creeping up on me slowly but surely since the anger and resentment within the protestors only grew as time went by.

Funnily, the previously heavily-guarded road which used to house the US consulate, was completely open and ‘protest-free.’

At the end of the road, at Hotel Metropole, was another large gathering of protestors, with ambulances, police, and rangers standing by. I found my way through them and took a left onto ‘Club Road’ where one ‘blocking container’ had been forcefully removed. However, upon reaching the end, I found the road was blocked again by rising fumes and smoke along with a gathering in the middle of both the giant five-star hotels opposite the PIDC bridge.

5:30 PM: What surprised me the most was the literal ‘state of anarchy’ as I tried to make my way through, watching any and every boy or man on the street, some wearing a robber-like scarf, wielding bandanas and sticks, on motor-bikes or bus tops, some looking like educated middle-class citizens with all the time in the world on their hands, plunder/bulldoze whatever came in their way. I saw no ‘force’ or ‘authority’ trying to put a stop or even trying to quell any of this, it seemed that they had simply evaporated.

Those who were able to confidently make their way around were heavily guarded with protocols in tinted cars and jeeps.

After making a third round of the Saddar area, which looked like the only possible way through, I pushed my way, sometimes u-turning, sometimes praying and sometimes trying to be like one of them, through fires, chants, smoke, sticks, and in other words ‘ultimate chaos.’ I had luckily found a way which I would consider ‘a peaceful way through’, but then came another thud…just a few minutes away from my destination. I nearly crashed my car head-on into a three-protestor motorbike, escaping by a few inches, which who was obviously coming the wrong way. Upon telling them to move, the main rider gave me an angry stare and told me to reverse, and so I did.

6:00 PM: Inching towards the office, I faced a final self-created hurdle. Frustration and tiredness grew upon me and as I swerved my car left and right amongst the protestors, who I had seemingly become a part of, I ran over an angry and bearded protestor’s foot. As I looked at him through my rear-view mirror, I could see him staring at me with all the fury in the world maybe striking my car with a big stick or stone. I hurriedly waved a sign of apology (through my mirror) and finally reached the safe point, my office.

PM orders judicial probe into attack on Hamid Mir

The government also announced a reward of Rs10 million for any information leading to the arrest of culprits.

UN officials confirm staff members go missing in Pakistan

Two local employees working for the Unicef were suspected to have been kidnapped from Karachi.

Punjab govt accused of being soft on militants

Senior officials say the govt has been “sleeping over” regular intelligence reports on militants' presence in Punjab.

Slain ANP leader’s house attacked; Police foil terror bid

Unknown gunmen attacked the house of the late Mian Mushtaq late last night and abducted three of his relatives.

Comments are closed.

Comments (105)

Amir
September 22, 2012 9:37 pm
Under what law? This is not a theocracy. People are free to voice their opinions, just as they were free during the time of the Prophet (SAW) and the Sahaba (RZ).
Saad
September 23, 2012 7:12 am
Karachi is no more the place to live in. what a wonderful city and look what they have done to it. it was the most vibrant of all Pakistani cities. We have tried all our politicians and their ancestors political parties specially PPP & PML . I have no other option to trust and support Mr. Imran Khan of his party Pakistan Tehrik-e-Insaaf .
September 21, 2012 9:13 pm
Kaash hum masalman hotay... Har Lehza Hai Momin Ki Nai Shan, Nai Aan Guftar Mein, Kirdar Mein, Allah Ki Burhan.! Qahhari-O-Guffari-O-Quddusi-O-Jabroot Ye Char Anasir Hon To Banta Hai Musalman.. Allama Iqbal
NutShell
September 22, 2012 2:36 am
The problem with the youth of this country I see is that they do not have any venues to vent out their hostilities, games and sports,like,hicking,mountaneering,deep sea diving,bungee,all activities that require force and stamina'For the youth,going on rampage and violence is a sport,like hunting.I note many youth doing it cheerfully and happily. The element of loot is an attraction for the protestors.I guess the idea is that since they have worked hard at arson and yelling they deserve some reward to carry home at the end of the day. When the govt announced the holiday and allowed people to take out rallies,clearing the fields for them, it gave the trouble makers a licence to go on a mad spree..
ROHIT PANDEY
September 21, 2012 6:00 pm
Uneduated,immature mobs...all these bodes very bad for Pakistan.
luqman
September 21, 2012 6:21 pm
Dont take it seriously its happining each and every day. But what we can do our best is to spend our lives to educate people .
Ifty Saeed
September 22, 2012 3:19 am
When Rahman Malik is the leading one man think tank these thing are to happen.
kaffir3
September 21, 2012 8:57 pm
Testing the hypothesis - "Is Islam a religion of Peace?'. So far the results are not very encouraging. All the stories of peace are rubbish. These guys are coming directly from attending the speeches in the Mosque from the people who truly are knowledgeable in the teachings of Islam.
Asif
September 21, 2012 10:36 pm
Less than 1% but violent population keeps everyone else hostage. By the way, nice way of showing your love for our prophet (pbuh) by doing everything against his teaching. Displaying anger –Haraam!, destruction, killing other people & making kids orphan. You think this will be your salvation, your Jannah! DON’T THINK SO. It will be a rude awakening!
Pervez
September 22, 2012 6:00 am
Too true !!! Shame on Zardari and his gang of crooks masquerading as a democratic , secular government .
Khan
September 22, 2012 2:32 pm
I totally agree with u. This what they wanted from us. We should have acted in some reasonable way.
Suresh
September 21, 2012 10:33 pm
This govt is pathetic..how come govt declare a holiday to protest .. The Mob message is clear...Pakistan enemies don't need a Nuclear Bomb or any other weapons to destroy Pakistan....just a movie(made of few hunderds $) is enough to kill its citizens...Pathetic..Only solution is to educate people
Concerned Citizen
September 21, 2012 10:28 pm
It is true that because of lack of entertainment facilities for men this is how most of the Pakistanis like to party! These are all misguided childrena and adults who in their anger lose their senses and burn or destroy everything in their way. Its important to note that the preparations must have begun the night before as the writer describes and therefore the religious leaders must have made long angry speeches to hypnotise the crowds and get them ready for the destruction. Inka to khuda hi hafiz haye!
Neutral Man
September 21, 2012 6:13 pm
And Pakistani Govt gave holiday for this violence. What did Pakistan gain out of it?
Saad
September 21, 2012 6:05 pm
It was an extremely thoughtless decision to announce a holiday for the purpose of wrecking the whole country!
SIDRA
September 21, 2012 8:21 pm
assalamo alaikum in my point of view no doubt issue raised out by padri is to enrage the muslims emotions,but being as a muslim fine and organized way of protest is not to harm our own country ,the right way is to keep ban at ourselve by use of products made in USA,like KFC, MCDONALD,PIZZA HUT ,pepsi, coca cola and all the branded items to tell them what we r giving them economical lose which they deserve rather to burn our own banks and important areas of the city .It is the time to think who we r and do we have real love and affections for our Prophet Hazrat Muhammed (pbuh). We should recall the love and affections of our companions for the Holy Prophet (SAW) by reading history of battle of Badr, uhad and so many other which was the right way to support the Prophet (SAW).Violence is not the show our emotion we should behave like an educated people.
B R Chawla
September 22, 2012 3:12 am
Strenghth of a religions lies in tolerance and forbearance and not getting ignited over trivial instigations. I did not quite know how brittle the values of Islam were and how insecure and vulnerable the Prophet was until I saw this little spark ravaging the entire Muslim world. Can you compell others to respect the Prophet or the values prophessed by him by force. By such a behavior at best you can drive away the people from respecting the religion. Chawla
Muhammad K
September 22, 2012 9:46 am
It is a great success of US expert's plan. We are blowing our own property and killing our own country man without any DRONE attack. GOOD work H. Clinton and Net. Yahoo. Every Muslim as individual think with their own brain except Pakistani because they are slaves of religious gangs like, JI, JU Islam, JU Pakistan and so on. All these gang leaders are share holder in power with PPP since 1971. The sons and leaders of these parties are living in Europe and America.
Sal
September 21, 2012 8:15 pm
Political mileage - elections are coming. bravo to the people of Pakistan for destroying their own property and killed 19 people during protest including police officer.
ROHIT PANDEY
September 22, 2012 2:04 am
If the Pakistan Army was a guardian of secularism like the Turkish Army one can safely hand over the country for a spell of martial law and resurgent economic growth. But,as the Pakistan Army has very unsavory friends,the ":cure" of martial law would be worse than the disease! Does'nt Pakistan have good spiritual leaders of sound standing? i really don't know much of Pakistan domestic politics outside of what I read here?
Abdul
September 21, 2012 5:28 pm
NON-MOSLEM strategists have faltered on understanding Islam as like one of other contemporary religions recognized by bunch of rituals, tender-stories and volumes of scriptures. Islam is instead a way of life at individual, family, group, state, national and international levels which digs deep into a Moslem's heart, soul, above anything. When Moslems are instigated in such ways they MUST NOT REACT BY VIOLENCE damaging life & property, they should rather introspect themselves whether they are OBEYING SUCH LOVABLE PROPHET or not. Start with the simple unity& brotherhood, why is one Muslim after the blood of another Moslem? GIVE ME ANSWER why are Sunnis, Shias, Ahmadies calling each other Kafirs? Why killing each other? Is it OBEDIENCE? I agree THESE PROTESTS ARE JUST HYPOCRISY OF WE MOSLEMS when we are disunited and inhuman against the advice of the Holy Prophet. BIGGEST TRIBUTE TO PROPHET WOULD BE TO FORGET DIFFERENCES unite, put our house in order. You will be a formidable power, none dare ridicule your values. Enemy laughs at this seemingly impossible idea. But mind you, the advent of Imam mehdi (awaited, disappeared, or already come) must be seriously researched with positive attitude among all these sects Sunnis Shias and Ahmadies, God knows who has got a hidden treasure to offer the suffering ummat. That will be the peaceful end of Satan in our enemies and within us too. Make this tragedy an opportunity of UNITING. No violence, obey prophet, unite and love humanity- should be OUR REACTION.
Irfan
September 22, 2012 2:25 pm
I assume you call yourself part of other 99% , what have you done so far to stop this so called 1%? Pakistan is dying a slow death at the hand of zealots, and majority will realize a bit too late that they were courting their demise by supporting this 1% behavior.
khan
September 21, 2012 5:00 pm
majority of the muslims specially in pakistan are uneducated about the islam however they think since they born as born muslim they do understand, It's the ignorance which caused the trouble. I pray that May Allah(swt) guide them. Majority of muslims not follow the sunnah, if they do really love the Quran and sunnah then why not to follow them? This is not the teaching of our dear prophet to burn flags and creates this kind of reaction. Even when our prohet were thrown stones in the city of Taif and he was all in blood then his daughter fatimah start cleaning the blood from the foot and face of our prophet but she was not burning the city or harming anybody else. If we really love our prophet then we should learn from his seerah.
Amir
September 22, 2012 9:34 pm
Its not the less than 1% that keeps the rest of the population hostage, its the 99% that just stands by and does nothing. Remember that all it takes for evil to triumph is for good people to do nothing. Look what happened in Libya, the general masses gathered and attacked the HQs of the militants and threw them out. That's what we need to do, when we see the 1% attacking the 99% should attack them. Then they will learn. Laatun Kay bhoot baatun say nahin mantay.
Mr.T
September 22, 2012 1:11 pm
If you understand the control of media you wouldn't say that. Media power to play with the mind of people, you just have to fire the match, they burn the whole country. I live outside pakistan and here not a single person protest, only govt protest. Media only shows the country like 3rd world where violent protest is done, not peaceful. Those who protest does know that this pathetic video is 6 month old, why media show now, did anyone know that after protest that guy was arrest and take for interrogation, does any one knows that those who work in that film sue the film make for fraud and cheat. Did media tells you that... ???
layman
September 21, 2012 9:35 pm
What kind of govt in Paki land. Gave a holiday to do atrocities? This is what you see when you have a state based on religion and the govt is scared of fatwas. Sorry for the overseas pakistanis. Already some of them don't acknoledge that they hail from pakistan.
abbas ali
September 23, 2012 3:11 pm
This protest in Karachi only reiterates the fact that they just need to torch something or the other, so what if it's their own home.
nadsc
September 21, 2012 8:02 pm
Good one!
Vgp
September 22, 2012 2:12 pm
Pakistan is one of the leading donor nation, Ha Donor in what may I know. State sponsored terrorism is what ur indicating I guess
Khan
September 22, 2012 2:25 pm
It is sorry state in the country which we observed for last two days. By destroying our own self we demonstrated and registered our protest. What happened then? Did it impressed the concerned authorities to take action against the culprits? OR will it stop future happenings? I m not wrong in saying that this act on our part did paved the way for others to follow the suit as that will not harm them but will affect us a lot. We need to open our eyes and should behave in a reasonable and responsible way. Majority of people rejected the indecent way of agitation then why few people be allowed to conduct such acts. We must stop watching TAMASHA.
Gerry D'Cunha
September 22, 2012 10:38 am
pakistan does not need any enemies to destroy the country - its own enemies within are enough to destroy, the reality we all seen yesterday - destruction and killings by its own people.
MAHENDRA DEV
September 21, 2012 11:04 pm
I HAVE PERSONALY KNOW MANY MUSLIMS AND PAKISTANIS . I HAVE GREAT REGARDS FOR THEIR QUALITY OF HEAD AND HEART WHERE THE THINGS HAVE GONE WRONG I AM TOTALY CLUELESS. WILL SOMEONE ELUCIDATE
Kashif
September 22, 2012 6:06 am
Dear All - We have to change ourselves. Kindly tell me one thing that what have you given to our beloved country. Have we make or taken the responsibility of anyone to make him literate?? Have we go to make our Pakistanis realize about the principle of a good citizen?? Have we told anyone about the teaching of Islam?? Nowadays we are a Muslim by luck or by birth and not by choice.. sorry to say.. I apologize (in advance) to everyone those who are criticizing and those who have done aggressive protest.. tell me one thing that do we know the complete fundamentals of Islam, we even don’t know the principle of Prayers / Namaz, All six Qalmay, principle of trading and spending of life.. So, I humbly request to everyone (either you are a local or oversees) that please go through the teaching of Islam.. I sure you will find yourself too good, pleasant, relax and calm. All these type of violence are also happen in west too, there are countless record. It is a natural expression. There will be nothing happened or change from our comments. If you are really love our beloved Islam & country then now from onwards try to make other nurture / literate (voluntary). Then you’ll find a good & responsible nation.
asif
September 21, 2012 7:47 pm
Thumbs up... Dude
sam
September 21, 2012 7:25 pm
achieved as the best street protester in the world. kudos upon maintaining as the best in the world
Amir
September 21, 2012 7:59 pm
I remember something from my childhood. There was a woman who would throw garbage on the Prophet (SAW) every day when passed by her house. One day he was walking by and she wasn't there to throw garbage. Concerned he (SAW) inquired about her and learnt that she was ill. So he (SAW) went to visit her. It was later reported (i am not sure of its veracity) that she was so impressed by his (SAW) action that she became a Muslima. In Surat Al Furqan Allah gives us the difference between believers and kafirs - Ayat 63. "And the servants of the Most Merciful are those who walk upon the earth easily, and when the ignorant address them [harshly], they say [words of] peace." So who believes and who doesn't is very clear.
Magister
September 21, 2012 6:06 pm
There is no use in talking about anything now. Let all the poisons that lurk in the mud hatch out.
ROHIT PANDEY
September 22, 2012 1:58 am
A very bad reputation?
JI-Bangladesh
September 22, 2012 4:03 pm
we are trying to change that in Bangladesh (Jamaat Chief)....oh by the way, state religion is still ISLAM in here and we dare you to change that?
muneer
September 22, 2012 2:43 am
I was of the understanding Islam preaches peace and tolerance...
Azmat
September 23, 2012 4:11 am
The Tamasha goes on because of our spineless leadership, they are too scared of the violent minority. Then there are the bigots & fanatics themselves who seem to be on the payroll of some unseen hands. These are the cheapest instruments of distruction the country has seen over the past few decades. For the conspiracy theorists,... our enemies dont have to lift a finger anymore, they just taunt us & watch the fun unfold......
One of Us
September 21, 2012 5:08 pm
this is the begning of the end of pakistan as we know
ad
September 22, 2012 3:13 am
you are not a "true" muslim then .lol.
shahid
September 21, 2012 4:51 pm
In the fight for the survival of fittest the weakest and lowest quality of species is slowly wiped out. It is nature's process to preserve the quality
Ash Mirza
September 22, 2012 5:55 am
Dear Hasaan Hyder, thanks for writting a great article. All I can say is government must provide education to all citizen atleast till metric. (FREE OF CHARGE) ..People dont have education, so they dont even know what the ISLAM is , all they know is they are BORN MUSLIM....But the dont know what the teaching of ISLAM....they windup with uneducated fanatic mullas, so they dont get proper knowldege of ISLAM....VERY SAD.......May Allah guide them. Sincerely, Ash Mirza (USA)
Kashif
September 22, 2012 9:11 am
Agree..well said..Our media doesn't see the good characteristics of Pakistan. for instance; Pakistan is one of the leading donor naiton, many great doctors and engineers working for the country and that is y pakistan is surviving... please be hopefull yourself first and then spread hope around. Pakistan Zinda bad, Pakistan naiton payendabad. We need to change ourselves & literate our society too.
suneel
September 22, 2012 4:06 pm
they have learned this through experience during "direct action day-1946"...
Amjed Ahmed
September 22, 2012 5:51 am
Excellent, I appreciate.
Wes
September 21, 2012 6:19 pm
Wow....Did anyone try to educate the ppl around the world protesting that the director who made this documentary/film was an arab Egyptian? They have nothing going on and they are hitting the streets. What's even more suprising is that they don't know why they are protesting cause i'm sure most of the folks haven't see the film. Question: What's the point of burning flags? I'm really not proud of being a Pakistani, for ppl like these who have no clue what they are doing? I guess that's a way for them to party, maybe we should have clubs and lounges in Karachi.
jssidhoo
September 22, 2012 5:05 am
I feel God and his messengers are GREAT. We pray (beg)to the ALMIGHTY for his blessings. Whether we pray or we abuse him it will not make an IOTA of difference in his GREATNESS the loss or gain is ours. Ignore these IDIOTS they only seek publicity. Who knew Salman Rushdie before the fatwa was given to kill him. Ignore these FOOLS they do not deserve your attention. By giving them so much importance and publicity we are playing into their hands.
Fayyaz Laghari
September 22, 2012 6:31 am
Well Sir if you were in some civilised society you would have found yoursefl in lot of trouble by confessing that you ran over someone's foot. In that sense you are lucky to go scot free
suresh
September 22, 2012 4:38 am
shame - when the nation is run by corrupt politicians and educated by mullahs, what else can you expect. The day is not far when the army steps in and take over again. It is a pity that 'lato ke booth batho se nahin mante' and I guess that is the destiny of Pakistan that it wants dictatorial rule only just like the Arab Countries - as 75% of the population has been brain washed by these mullahs who cannot read and write and wants to teach only violence as a way of survival.
aziahmed63
September 21, 2012 10:09 pm
wow what a feeling of love for the prophet by killing your own & burning your country...you people are really smart I must add.....what difference did all that looting, killing, burning and mayhem made in America or to the guy who posted that film....ANSWER; NOTHING ......so who suffered our own people . QUESTION: IS Pakistan becoming another Ethiopia or Sudan ANSWER; its even worse then that......????
Saeed
September 22, 2012 5:42 am
Ok it government fault again and all religious people and religious political parties are innocent again.
Mr.T
September 22, 2012 5:32 am
Those who die and lost their lives and their assets is only because of Media, Media & Media only...
ariz
September 22, 2012 5:11 am
i think the idea of the pakistani government to gain in on the hatred against the "movie" has backfired , they announce a day for protests which turns out to be a ' free for all' damaging public property and loss of life . May allah have mercy on innocent people (If there are any left)
MKB
September 22, 2012 4:32 am
In real time
sali
September 22, 2012 4:31 am
Senseless. If you want to show love for Prohet (PBUH), you should sit down and do drood-e-sharif or listen to his teachings. This is not going to hurt the guy who made the movie but it's hurting the people who have nothing to do with the movie. Beyond belief.
Rajagopal
September 21, 2012 7:35 pm
Good luck!
MKB
September 22, 2012 4:30 am
You contradict your own views. You first acused other contemporary religion which are based on purely some rituals & bunches of books. Than you asked question. In your own word " GIVE ME ANSWER why are Sunnis, Shias, Ahmadies calling each other Kafirs? Why killing each other? Is it OBEDIENCE?" Brother, all other religions are not contemporay, but very older than Islam, Some are 2000 years some are even 2500 years older than Islam. Those religion are time tested and transfored , evoulved, norished time to time for the betterment of the humanity. Islam is relatively very young religion and had to transformed, learn many thing to adjust & to be a time tested religion.
A. Nabi Baloch
September 21, 2012 7:33 pm
Rohit We Pakistanis are mobs, not a nation. We cannot act any other way. It is the rule of the law in the US, otherwise you will see same here.
Syed
September 22, 2012 7:53 am
Shame on you both President Zardari and PM Ashraf playing your role as chief executives of PAKISTAN .You both did a good job by doing nothing (before & after) this unfortune and sad day of violance .Wow what a great a way of showing your failed leadeship to this country called Pakistan. You have shown again that how much you don’t care about this country except for own self interest . If you have a little dignity left in you RESIGN NOW .
MKB
September 22, 2012 4:14 am
Yes, and the rule is violence & anarchism not peace & justice
Dhanus Menon
September 22, 2012 4:10 am
There is no enemies, It is freedom of speech. I can also say that praying to God by people of different religions is insulting to atheists like me...... Do a bit of introspection, on Islam, the prophet and even god.
Noor
September 21, 2012 8:41 pm
Thank God i am a previelaged citizen of Canada and x- citizen of Bangla Desh. Both secular in their very essence. If you want to join civilized nations make religion a personal choice.Outward show of piety and faith is not Islam. Islam is persons individual relation with Allah/
Mansoor
September 21, 2012 4:56 pm
This is beyond ridiculous!! ?? ???? ?? ?? ???? ??? ?? ?? ?? ???? ?? ??? ?? ?? ??? ??? ? ?? ??? ?? ????? ?? ????? ???? ?? ??? ??? ???? ?? ????? ?? ??? ???? ???? ?? ??. ??? ????? ??? ??? ??????!
Asif
September 22, 2012 8:19 am
http://quran.com/28/55 Sahih International And when they hear ill speech, they turn away from it and say, "For us are our deeds, and for you are your deeds. Peace will be upon you; we seek not the ignorant."
Adil Jadoon
September 22, 2012 3:57 am
What does Pakistan ever get out of anything the government does.
Khurram
September 21, 2012 5:56 pm
Today we showed our true feelings towards the teachings of Holy Prophet Muhammad PBUH.
Adil Jadoon
September 22, 2012 3:55 am
What a ridiculous statement. This is how things have been for quite some time. Unless the police can enforce the law this is exactly what will happen.
Aftab Burni
September 22, 2012 8:18 am
yes media wielded the sticks, the stones and the bullets. Organized the mobs, equipped and fed them. taught them the tactics.
Dhanus Menon
September 22, 2012 3:54 am
The worst part they they say they are from India. Nice tactic though. U guys split from India and now claim to be Indians. A visit to most Indian restaurants in European cities will have sign boards of Indians restaurants and staffed by Pakistanis and Bangladeshis.
Adil Jadoon
September 22, 2012 3:53 am
Why not?
Rattan(Sydney0
September 21, 2012 7:11 pm
What enemies are you talking about?with a situation like this you dont need any enemies - Pakistan society is in self destruct mode.tick tock
Mutti Ur Rehman
September 22, 2012 8:14 am
For God sake sort of these people are not even one percent of population of this country. I would say to the writer to have some courage and come out of phobias to write positives of this country if you need help contact me. Our media always in search of bad news to make good for themselves instead fulfilling their moral duties.
Aman
September 22, 2012 3:35 am
We are so "innocent" that we burn our national properties....In the name of respect to Prophet we burn, destroy cities !!....Innocence is in our culture.....we spread hate, burn & kill our fellow country men...just because we love our Prophet !! For jannat we making this world Hell...just because we are Innocent Muslims and love our Prophet and Islam!!! What a agony we don't understand Islam although we claim that we Muslim.....!!
manghirmalani
September 22, 2012 1:37 am
I am a Muslim and I condemn the rampant and widespread violent protests over a badly made anti-Islamic film. I believe one needs to have a very high bar when it comes to getting offended. If everything is offensive to you, then it is perceived that something is wrong with you. The Indian government proved it recently with its tantrum against cartoonist Aseem Trivedi’s mediocre caricatures. Now a section of radical Muslims is proving it over an insignificant film. I saw “Innocence of Muslims” a couple of days ago on YouTube. It is a laughable attempt at insulting Muslims and sooner rather than later would have met its fate at the hands of a Ricky Gervais or a Jay Leno. It is therefore worrying when such trash goes viral simply because a rabid bunch of Muslims sulked and how. Getting hurt at intelligent lampooning (to some extent), à la Rushdie, is pardonable as long as the hurt does not translate into killing people. But if trashy lampooning by a convicted fraudster cannot be ignored, who cares if we shout from rooftops that ours is a “religion of peace.” More dangerously, such behaviour is fodder for all the critics of Muslims around the world. For example, in Gujarat where I live and work, many continue to absurdly justify the anti-Muslim violence in 2002 as a “reaction” to what the Muslims did to Kashmiri pandits thousands of miles away! The mistake of reviving the memories of another place, another time need not be repeated, especially in this digital age where offence can be manufactured at the click of a button (I’ve just read about the French cartoons today). It doesn’t take much intelligence to understand that you cannot punish an entire community or country for the acts of a few. But perhaps it does take a cogent leadership to condemn such universalisation of punishment. This the Muslims don’t have. Above all, my biggest concern is that this has just pushed the moderate Muslim inside me deeper into solitary confinement.
Arshad Patel,Ohio,USA
September 22, 2012 1:32 am
Does the PAKISTAN ( The pure/clean land ) really exist ?
Rasheed
September 22, 2012 1:37 am
Totally illeterate nation... Innocent Muslim and they are!!!
skylark
September 22, 2012 12:51 am
The SYSTEM is training youngsters for hooliganism ; its machinery stemmed out of religious HIJACKERS ,THE CUTODIAN OF RELIGION who consider these anarchy and violence to given vent their control on civic society. these are ruffians who have taken reffuge of religion to shield their ugly face. THEY GAIN CONFIDENCE OF VOTEBANKS MEDIATOR , THEY ARE THE RELIGIOUS BUREAUCRATS WHO NEGOTIATES WITH POLITICIANS TO CONTROL THE MASSES. PAKISTAN IS A HOSTAGE OF THIS SYSTEM OF THESE THUGS. THEY HAVE NO UNDERSTANDING HOW MUCH DAMAGE THEY ARE DOING TO THE NATION.
chaman
September 21, 2012 11:49 pm
blame it as a conspiracy of western world, jews, Indians.....
Mulla of Pakistan
September 21, 2012 11:36 pm
Son, who will educate us? We command the most precious resource in the world and collectively we have less universities than half of the number in China. Through petro dollars we can build a wahabi mosque every 10 kms along GT road, but we can't get decent religious education in our curriculum. Our politicians defend 'scum' like dogs would, but can't be your voice.
qazi
September 21, 2012 11:26 pm
astghfirullah
Mulla of Pakistan
September 21, 2012 11:24 pm
Oh my goodness! sure not a proud moment, but quite convinient for you to forget how Babri mosque was razed, gujrat, ....... And Nabi Baloch, 'its the rule of law in US' that is responsible for this. You need to grow up to realise that we indeed are a nation, whether good or bad.
Mulla of Pakistan
September 21, 2012 11:19 pm
Son, this is what happens when there is no leadership. A Christian is charged for blasphemy and Vatican goes bonkers, where are those Salafi Saudis?
Mulla of Pakistan
September 21, 2012 11:14 pm
Civilized hey? Goverment in your adopted country can't even teach citizens something as simple as 'respect'. All these lives could be saved if one person was charged for being disrespecful.
sf
September 21, 2012 11:11 pm
I play golf and when they ask where am I from. I hesitate, then I say from Asia or from Midlle East. Hoping they won"t probe. Few years before I was proud to say that I was Pakistani.
B R Chawla
September 22, 2012 2:58 am
Strenght of any religion lies in tolerance and forbearance. I did not quite understand how br the values of Islam were, how I insecure and vulenarablr the prophet ( was until I saw a little spart ravaging the Islamic World. Please please do not repeat pbuh again and again after the name of the Great Prophet if you are out to create lawlessness of trivial matters such as this film ar a few pages of the book being scattered. Peace lies within and not out on the streets burning the national property.
MAHENDRA DEV
September 21, 2012 10:56 pm
VANDALISM AND ROWDYISM IS IN THE DNA OF PEOPLE OF PAKISTAN , INDIA THIS IS NO WAY TO PROJECT AN HEALTHY RELIGION LIKE ISLAM TO THE WORLD. IT PURE AND SIMPLE SENSELESS WAY TO EXPRESS DISPLEASURE ABOUT A VULGAR GOOD AND CRUDE FILM WHICH I BELIEVE NONE OF THE MOBESTER HAS SEEN SO MUCH TRASH IS FLOATING ON YOU TUBE AND BLOGS BETTER TO IGNORE AS A GOOD PERSON SHUNS PORN
guest
September 22, 2012 2:18 am
sure , you did by taking live of innocent people, burning business, cars, acting like saveges.
guest
September 22, 2012 2:21 am
A short film is made in US, but innocent human beings are killed in Pakistan, who had NO THING to do with it.
Irfan
September 21, 2012 10:51 pm
It was calculated decision by government to be on the side of mullahs and general public with eye towards coming elections. If you can not show progress for the common man at least you can show the government is sympthizes with the mass and support you emotionally by allowing a day to let loose. Incompetence and shortsightedness at its best!
Irfan
September 21, 2012 10:54 pm
Loss of lives, property, productivity and above all, dignity and self respect. Shall I continue?
naseem
September 22, 2012 2:42 am
New York is no different Remember when power went out, the mob broke the stores and carried what they could, Remember New Orleans. You Indians you think you are better. Same things happen in yr country.
Kris
September 21, 2012 10:16 pm
Why talk about following prophet or anyone of high stature when your own mind is full of hatred against each other and government is enjoying every minute of it. There is no such thing as perfect or good muslim. Good Human and Perfect human is another story. First of all you were born as a human, not animal, so start with the first thing first; Behave Like a Human.
efaz
September 21, 2012 10:04 pm
Their was another protest and MQM leading it and it went peace fully. Folks join MQM and support them, otherwise these Mullas will destroy our country.
Tahir Rao
September 21, 2012 4:29 pm
Ignorance.
aanjana
September 21, 2012 5:57 pm
Yours comments points to Darwins Evolution theory as it also says the same
Neutral
September 21, 2012 5:20 pm
people of Pakistan killing each other, burning their own property... hmm... what was the name of that movie again.. "innocence of Muslims" ?
Rajesh
September 22, 2012 1:41 am
I told my muslim friend that even other religions have some good things to show such as hinduism although not holding a patent, has the founding members of the world renowned Yoga exercises. To that he replied that maybe Yoga has its origins in Islam. Do you call this a strong foundation. If you have to prove your upmanship in all fields to prove your point, you are a very group
raza
September 22, 2012 12:16 am
Nice and easy way to destroy Pakistan. Just publish some silly cartton or make silly home made video Every month
Shamsoo
September 21, 2012 4:58 pm
We are Finished as a NATION. We are doomed and things will get uglier and uglier and chaos will is our future. I can not believe that PEOPLE are going crazy for One person or Group making a movie and disgraced our Prophet Muhammad (PBUH). So What? WOuld it diminish his GREATNESS, Piety? Did his companions went crazy like US when he was stoned by people of Taif? What did they do when Woman was throwing animal guts on him when he passed by? All Muslims who are rioting, killing, burning are doing work of the enemies of NOT only ISLAM but Humanity.....Muslims Fell into the TRAP set up by the enemies...... We must think how to turn TABLE on those who want to harm MUSLIMS without any violence and even protest. They are only in Hundreds and are well known. We must deal with them legally and keep dragging them in courts 24/7/365 for any reason or no reason. Save energy, our resources, Make prophet Muhammad Happy by following his footsteps....Excel in education, Stop receiving handouts from other countries.....BUT First we must make sure that we elect right people as our leader, pick our leaders on the basis of their piety......not tribe or money rich.
Vidyesh
September 21, 2012 9:55 pm
This will never happen. Muslims (or for that any other religious group) was never united. please read history books (not pakistani text books). Almost all muslim invaders/sultans have been fighting among each other. (and it is applicable for all other religious groups as well). muslims needs to become sular. thats the only way ahead.
Vidyesh
September 21, 2012 9:48 pm
I can not agree more with you. God bless you.
Khan Mohammad
September 22, 2012 8:50 pm
By announcing a holiday on Friday Rahman Malik created the chaos in the country.
Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll