KARACHI, Sept 30: A Sri Lankan woman has been admitted to the JPMC after she consumed some poisonous substance, reportedly at the residence of a senior police official in DHA.
The woman, identified as Ms Sheshala, is in her late 30s and had been brought to the hospital by some police officials first on Sept 21, sources in the JPMC said.
“She was provided medical treatment but taken away by the policemen. Next day, she was brought to the hospital again when her condition deteriorated.
“Accordingly, she was admitted and sent to the National Poison Control Centre of JPMC’s Medical Ward 5,” the sources said.
The woman is believed to have consumed some insecticide. A police official requesting anonymity revealed that incident had occurred at the residence of a senior police official.
Ms Sheshala had started her job as governess only on Sept 19 and requested her employers to allow her to go to her home country after receiving a call from her sister about their mother being in a serious condition. However, she was not obliged and she resorted to consuming some poisonous substance, according to the sources.
Meanwhile, an official of the Sri Lankan consulate, after learning about the incident, visited Ms Sheshala at the JPMC.
No legal proceedings in the case have been initiated so far, a police official stated.