Second FIR registered against Mumbai attacks mastermind

Updated December 30, 2014

Email

Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi is being taken to a local court in Islamabad.  - DawnNews screengrab
Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi is being taken to a local court in Islamabad. - DawnNews screengrab

ISLAMABAD: Barely hours after the Islamabad High Court ordered his conditional release, another case has been registered against Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi — the alleged mastermind of the Mumbai attacks case — at the Golra Police Station in Islamabad.

According to the First Information Report (FIR), Lakhvi was said to be involved in the abduction of a man named Anwar six and a half years ago.

Following the registration of the case last night, Lakhvi was arrested by police and taken into protective custody at the Shalimar police station as there was no suitable place to accommodate him at the Golra police station.

Lakhvi remanded in police custody for two days

He was produced in a local court in Islamabad today amid tight security.

Inspector Mohammad Arshad told the court Lakhvi was accused of kidnapping a man six and a half years ago.

During the hearing, police requested the court for a two-day physical remand of Lakhvi, which was granted.

Earlier on Monday, the IHC had ordered the conditional release of Lakhvi.

The court suspended his detention orders, which were issued by the Islamabad district administration soon after an anti-terrorism court granted him bail on Dec 18.

Take a look: IHC orders conditional release of Mumbai attacks mastermind

The decision drew a sharp reaction from India and it summoned Pakistan’s High Com­missioner to lodge protest. An Indian foreign ministry official said Delhi wanted “to register our protest over the court order”.

Seven Pakistani suspects have been charged with planning and financing the attacks but the failure to advance their trial has been a major obstacle to better ties between the two countries.