ISLAMABAD: The Islamabad High Court (IHC) on Monday ordered the conditional release of Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi — the alleged mastermind of Mumbai attacks — on the condition that the accused submits a security bond worth Rs1 million.

The court has issued a two-page judgement on Lakhvi's release.

Earlier today, Justice Noorul Haq Qureshi had presided over the hearing of a petition filed by Lakhvi, seeking an end to his detention.

Lakhvi was granted post-arrest bail by an anti-terrorism court (ATC) in Islamabad on Dec 18. However, the federal government had extended his detention in the Adiala Jail under the Maintenance of Public Order ordinance.

Read more: Mumbai attack 'mastermind' Lakhvi detained under MPO

On Dec 26, Lakhvi had challenged his detention in the IHC.

During today's hearing, Lakhvi's counsel Rizwan Abbasi had said that the court had previously accepted his client's bail, but it was the administration that had detained him which was unlawful. He said that granting of bail was an issue of fundamental rights.

Take a look at: Mumbai trial delays

After hearing the counsel's arguments, the court had suspended Lakhvi's detention.

Lakhvi is among the seven persons charged with planning and helping carry out the 2008 Mumbai attacks. The six other men facing trial in Adiala Jail for their alleged involvement in Mumbai attacks are Hammad Amin Sadiq, Shahid Jamil Riaz, Younas Anjum, Jamil Ahmed, Mazhar Iqbal and Abdul Majid.

At the time of the attacks, Lakhvi was believed to be the operational head of the banned Laskhar-i-Taiba (LT) that has been accused by India of carrying out the attacks in India's financial capital.

Lakhvi along with Zarar Shah was allegedly the key planner of the attack that killed 166 people.

Pakistan's High Commissioner to India summoned over Lakhvi's release

The Indian Ministry of External Affairs summoned Pakistan's High Commissioner to India Mr Abdul Basit in New Delhi, and conveyed its concerns over Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi's conditional release.

Diplomatic sources confirmed that Mr Basit was summoned and that he told the ministry that Lakhvi's release was a judicial matter.

The Indian government also expressed concern over the slow pace of progress being made in the Mumbai attacks trial.

Basit assured the Indian Foreign Ministry that the trial of those accused of carrying out the Mumbai attacks is purely a judicial matter and that it is in progress.

Opinion

Editorial

24 Jan, 2022

Anti-extremism policy

HAD there been more far-sighted policymaking on the part of the state and an understanding of how religious ...
Government’s silence
Updated 24 Jan, 2022

Government’s silence

A MAJOR trial is underway in London during which Pakistan has repeatedly been mentioned as the place where payment...
24 Jan, 2022

Cutting mangroves

FOR Karachi, the mangrove cover along its coastline is a thin line of defence against potential oceanic and climatic...
Yemen atrocity
Updated 23 Jan, 2022

Yemen atrocity

The sooner this war is ended, the better, to halt the suffering of Yemen's people and ensure security of all regional states.
23 Jan, 2022

Regressive taxation

THE FBR appears to have kicked up a new and unnecessary controversy by serving notices on currency dealers to ...
23 Jan, 2022

Medico-legal flaws

ON Friday, a 13-page verdict authored by Justice Ali Zia Bajwa of the Lahore High Court revealed a shocking fact...