Indians prefer arranged marriages: survey

Published Aug 29, 2012 12:50pm

hindu-reut670
Indian brides and grooms. — File Photo

NEW DELHI: An overwhelming majority of Indians prefer marriages arranged by family members instead of “love matches”, a survey showed on Wednesday, despite rapid social change in the country over recent decades.

A total of 74 per cent of respondents from across India voted in favour of traditional “arranged” marriages, according to the poll by private television channel NDTV.

The channel commissioned Ipsos, a market research agency, to conduct a field survey of 30,000 people of all ages across 18 states.

Parents in India often choose husbands or wives for their children, although the trend for “love marriages” has grown during India's economic transformation.

The survey also found 89 per cent of Indians preferred living in an extended family set-up rather than a “nuclear” family comprising only parents and children.

DS
Aug 30, 2012 08:51am
Did you ask your parents?
gaurav
Aug 30, 2012 03:46pm
And what is wrong in publishing about Tribals? They are very much a part of our diversity !!!!! and probably predated all the invaders who came subsequently and stole which was only theirs! George is probably a pakistani....but you being an indian saying something this callous about your fellow citizens?
Intrepid
Aug 30, 2012 03:20pm
Frankly, there is hardly any difference between the way things are done in India and the way things are done in Pakistan, including "arranged marriages", food, language, culture, clothing, etc. So why exactly did y'all split up? In fact, this is the case throughout most, if not all of South Asia...India, Pakistan, Bangla Desh(completely under Indian dominance)!!! Indian hegemony seesm to have engulfed the entire South Asian landscape. I have found the excisting racial prejudice to most interesting, something expressed in many different ways, ranging from street language expressions to preferences for "fair skinned" marriage partners. Please read George's question about "picture from Ghana", clearly is a reference to the skin color of the people in the picture. Perhaps y'all need to conduct some self examination, before you pass judgement on others!!
Agha Ata
Aug 29, 2012 01:58pm
A new trend, and very desirable also, is that a boy and girl choose each other, tell their parents and they arrange the marriage.
Karachi Wala
Aug 29, 2012 01:52pm
Very interesting findings. Is it good, bad or what ?
Saadia
Aug 29, 2012 02:59pm
Because its easy to get a partner from right caste or an equal caste.
PeopleInGlassHouses
Aug 29, 2012 03:53pm
Arranged marriage outlast love marriages, love marriage has high divorce rate in both west and east,regular Indians know that contrary to Bollywood insistence.Arrange marriage is marriage of two families together the ideally would provided emotional and material support to the new couple, abuse and neglect happens regardless of arrange or love marriage or boy/girlfriends.
Indian hindu
Aug 29, 2012 05:17pm
Ndtv will not publish it. Am sure they would have loved if the result would have the other way around. Am sure they will not even hesitate to manipulate this report and will say, some think like "all Hindus would only love to marry a Muslim", then all over India they will conduct heated debate about that nonsense. Please distance your self from NDTV. You're far better than that.Sincerely DAWN you are one of the best media house in the world. You are always well balanced . In India "The Hindu" and "The times of the India" are also comparable to you. As i always request. Please start your Indian edition without any any farther dely .Most of the Indian news channels are corrupt and affiliated to one party or the other. Most of the reporting in India are biased and one sided. Dear Dawn please always maintain your un-biased reporting.
Rakesh
Aug 31, 2012 12:16am
Arranged marriage makes sure that the bride and the groom are not related. That way inbreeding is avoided.
Anand
Aug 30, 2012 09:05am
really a good social trend. i think other countries should also follow suit
ran
Aug 30, 2012 03:13pm
george ur totaly correct some time i feel dawn also published biased reports against india as the dawn publish a one off tribes marriage ceramany photos just to correlate with indian marriage
george
Aug 29, 2012 06:01pm
Why you have picture from Ghana on an article on India?
Cindy
Aug 30, 2012 06:39am
But what percentage were women who said they preferred this?
LailaC
Aug 30, 2012 10:47pm
I'm sorry to read your life story. Many tragedies happens both in arraned and love marriages. May good people, encounter good life partners, regardless ethnic or religious background, Humanity first.
LailaC
Aug 30, 2012 10:44pm
It's an old tactic, known as love arranged marriage. People have married by own choice but instead of dating, they involved families right away and full acceptance. And why be transparent about it, when majority of desi ppl look down upon love marriage? Love marriage, the pre stage is nothing but on going tests. Desi male only treat their bloodrelative with respect, espcially cousins! Mothers always find their own brother or sister's daughter to their prize gold mummy daddy boy, though there is no compatibility at all. Why should some none relative enjoy the frutis of great income of their golden boy?
Deendayal Lulla
Aug 30, 2012 11:17am
My marriage was also an arranged one,yet it resulted indivorce. I had to fight an eight-year Botter divorce battle - seven years in the family court,and one year in the high court. This was for the first time in my life that I witnessed courts' proceedings,and this has made me an ardent supporter of judicial reforms. I never went on dating,as I was an alien to the concept of dating. The marriage was with much fanfare. Can anyone imagine it was my wife who took me to Shanishingarpur temple near Shirdi ,Maharashtra ,in India. She told me that Lord Saturn was heavy on me. And who gave me trouble - not a third person,but my dearest wife. What can I say - quirk of fate. I was to go for right eye cataract surgery, (I was already blind in the left eye) and my wife deserted me just 17 days prior to my surgery,and also took our only child ,my toddler daughter along. On top of it,she filed a divorce case on the ground of cruelty . Who was cruel,a wife leaving her husband or the husband? Yet,the family court granted her divorce on theground of cruelty. Later,I came to know that the judge was bribed,and the judge was transferred from the Sessions Court to the Family Court - a demotion. Marriage is the most dangerous institution in the world - it not only takes one to thebedroom,but also to jail. Marital laws are loaded in favour of women. A wife can make the life of husband and her in-laws a living hell,by filing false police complaints ,and court cases. Myself being a journalist,my wife's lawyer threatened to go the press council,but he never went. Her lawyer also filed a complaint with the Bar Council against my advocate. My wife was not even present in the family court, on the day of the judgement,yet in the court's Roznama ,it was written she was present in the court.
Sue Sturgess
Sep 05, 2012 03:34am
Marrying relatives can lead to many genetic problems, and should not be encouraged.
Sal
Aug 30, 2012 02:05pm
That is funny.
Sue Sturgess
Sep 05, 2012 03:27am
What one person considers to be good, another person might consider to be bad - different people have different perspectives.