“It seems like time has stopped. I never thought I would bury my grandson, the same child who held my fingers as a toddler and learnt to walk,” said Nizam*.

An elderly gentleman, Nizam survived one of the deadliest attacks on minorities in Pakistan three years ago.

The attack, carried out in Lahore’s Model Town and Garhi Shahu localities simultaneously on May 28, 2010 against a group of unarmed Pakistanis, left 86 dead and over 150 men and children injured. The Punjabi Taliban took responsibility for the attacks.

And what exactly was the fault of the dead? They were Ahmadis.

Having been deemed ‘wajib-ul-qatl’ (deserving of death) by many in the country, Ahmadis are the only minority in Pakistan who have been hounded for their faith, with the laws of the land strengthening this discrimination.

“It was my grandson who held my hand and walked me through the gates that Friday. He got me water and then sat beside me praying,” Nizam recalled.

An elderly man, his frail hands shook heavily, more due to anxiety than old age, as he shared details of the day when all hell broke loose.

“Everything seemed peaceful and serene. Then I heard a loud bang and people screaming around me. I woke up in the hospital, only to find out that my grandson was killed along with many others,” he recalled.

Lost cause

As the nation celebrates the 15th Yaum-i-Takbir (Day of Greatness) and hails Pakistan’s nuclear assets, the contrasts are clear.

The same prime minister who gave Pakistan a nuclear bomb, the Oxford-educated Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, also bowed to the whims of hardliners by declaring Ahmadis as non-Muslims during his premiership in 1974.

Not one to be left far behind, General Ziaul Haq made sure that he proved to be a worthy guard of this legislation.

His infamous anti-Ahmadiyya Ordinance XX in 1984 added Sections 298-B and 298-C to the Pakistan Penal Code. The Ordinance prohibits Ahmadis from proselytising and explicitly forbids them from certain religious practices and usage of Islamic terminology.

Given this scenario, the notion of ‘justice’ seems far fetched, at least to those who have been at the receiving end.

Blanking out for a while, Nizam composed himself and went on add: “I have lost all hope. I grew up being taunted by kids in my village near Narowal. “Mirzai”, “Qadiani”, “Kafir” “Murtad”, I have heard it all. ‘Grin and bear it’ is what I told my children and grandchildren. But I can’t anymore.”

When asked if he expects justice, he says: “Is dunya to mein to bilkul bhi nahi, akhrat mein zaroor!” (Not in this life time but surely in the afterlife).

Gone and forgotten

Though the 2010 Lahore massacre made headlines all over the world, it failed to mobilise people to speak up for Ahmadis.

Given the culture of impunity, no one seems to be bothered about delivering justice.

“The 2010 Lahore incident is the only terrorist attack where the attackers were apprehended by the worshippers and handed over to the police,” said Saleemuddin, spokesperson for the Ahmadiyya Jamaat Pakistan.

In a polite but jaded tone he said the attackers were presented in an anti-terrorism court but nothing came of it.

The hopelessness of Nizam, Saleem and others is not unfounded.

Over the years, case after case has come out where religious minorities have been put on trial or targeted for their beliefs. Adding to this bleak outlook are the blasphemy laws.

On its part, the state has made little effort to ensure the safety of the persecuted. During the five year tenure of the previous government, a surge in human rights violations, including religious and sectarian violence, was observed. The cases of Asiya Bibi and Rimsha Masih, Joseph Colony attack and targeted killings of Hazara Shias are just a few examples. Not satisfied with harming the living, even the dead have not been spared, with over 100 Ahmadi graves vandalised in Lahore, with the local administration playing the role of silent spectator.

However, the National Report submitted by Pakistan for the 14th Universal Periodic Review (UPR) downplayed violence on minorities and made no mention of the persecution of Ahmadis.

At the UPR session of Pakistan in Geneva last year, the then foreign minister Hina Rabbani Khar gave an impressive speech on the situation of human rights in the country. Sadly, on the subject of minorities, she too failed to mention the word ‘Ahmadi’ throughout the discussion on religious minorities in the country.

‘We don’t exist’

“I don’t expect justice,” says Kanwal*, a young Ahmadi woman.

She lost her brother in the Lahore attacks.

“If he had been given timely medical attention he would have been alive. So would be many others. The attackers did their job but the medical staff on its part delayed treatment,” she alleged.

Narrating how the 2010 incident shattered her family and others in the community, she says she is waiting for the day when Pakistanis will stand up for Ahmadis.

“At times I feel suicidal. Maybe ending my life would end this pain and misery but then I think about my parents, my bhabi and the kids. They have been through a lot,” she says.

Her voice filled with desperation, she aptly sums up the ordeal of minorities in Pakistan: “Maybe I won’t get to see that day. We don’t count because we don’t exist. Neither as Muslims, nor as humans!”

• Names have been changed to protect the identity of persons involved.

jajja.sumaira@gmail.com

Govt, TTP negotiating committees meeting in Islamabad

The progress of the peace process was being reviewed during the meeting.

SHC adjourns Musharraf's ECL application until May 7

The SHC adjourned a hearing on the retired general's application to have his name excluded from the ECL.

Pemra forms committee to review govt application against Geo TV

The committee, comprising Syed Ismail Shah, Pervez Rathore and Israr Abbasi, will review the application against GEO.

Round five of 3G spectrum licenses auction ends without change

The fifth round of auction concluded at $902.82 million without any change from the end of the previous round.

Comments are closed.

Comments (106)

skeptic
May 28, 2013 4:52 pm

what we do is who we are

syed baqar ahsan
May 28, 2013 4:54 pm

JUDGES AND THE TERRORIST ARE BRAVE,BOTH ARE KILLING BY GUNS AND PENS.

Blazer_UK
May 28, 2013 4:59 pm

Such hateful people, but then what do you expect from a jihadist country. No wonder the world doesnt take you seriously.

hope
May 28, 2013 5:14 pm

how very sad. this community has fought and died for pakistan. they deserve justice and equal rights. religion and politics should be dissociated. the value system in pakistan is now upside down.

Dr. Boodhun/Canada
May 28, 2013 5:57 pm

To expect justice from the so called Islamic republic is to expect too much. Hazrat Bilal, Hazrat Hamza and even the last three Khalifa-e-Rashedeen were not spared by the ennemies of change. The question is which community today is following the practice of the Holy Prophet(PBUH) and that of his companions. The answer is not too difficult to find. Recently there has ben a change in the faces that will occupy the seats in the National Assembly but there does not appear to have been a change in mindset. So long as discriminatory laws prevail in the statute books against some, don't expect anything good to happen for the rest of the country.

Imran
May 28, 2013 6:00 pm

and what about thousands of non-ahmadis who have lost their lives in drone attacks, I have never need Dawn felt so much sympathy for them. Ahmadis should start living as a minority in the MUSLIM majority country and should be given all rights enjoyed by a minority. They are a minority and will always be a minority

Agha Ata
May 28, 2013 6:04 pm

These people are tears of the history of Pakistan!

Abr_e_Gurezaan
May 28, 2013 6:11 pm

The writer does well to bring out the sad situation with the Ahmadis. It is bad enough when there is discrimination in society, but embedding that discrimination in the country's laws in the name of religion further takes away the chances of ensuring justice. However, she is way off the mark in saying "Ahmadis are the only minority in Pakistan who have been hounded for their faith, with the laws of the land strengthening this discrimination." What about the Hindus and Sikhs who just a few decades ago made up 25% of the population in this part of the subcontinent, and now are under 2%.. and also subject to same rules of discrimination?

R Singh
May 28, 2013 6:23 pm

"Ahmadis are the only minority in Pakistan who have been hounded for their faith", really then what about the Christians, Hindus, Sikhs??????

Dr.Emile Unjom
May 28, 2013 6:27 pm

WHO IS A VOICE OF THE VOICELESS IN POST Jinnah Pakistan, for the minorities suffering ever since.

Imtiaz
May 28, 2013 6:28 pm

This incident happened under the watchful eyes of Mr. Shahbaz Sharif, who was, and will be, the CM of Punjab. His law minister Rana Sanauallah is/was the mentor of the TTP - they get directions from him and operate with impunity (under the auspices of Gen. (R) Hameed Gul). There is no justice expected but as Nizam rightly said there will be justice in the hereafter and that will be the true justice, question is are these people ready for that? Rememebr one thing only extend as much torment as you can bear yourselves when the time comes, what goes around - comes around.

areluctantpakistani
May 28, 2013 6:44 pm

By now I doubt there is any minority person in Pakistan who has not tried to or at least thought of fleeing from Pakistan. Unfortunately not everyone will be able to do so but if anyone can they should.

To all minorities: Pakistan will never give you the basic respect that is the right of all citizens, it will never accept you as its own, long as you may cling to the notion of belonging to it. You need to accept the fact that you are not considered Pakistani and Pakistan is not yours. Leave if you can.

Rizwan
May 28, 2013 7:08 pm

Truly, I didn't read that article, why. Just because minorities always took advantage of being less in number. How many Muslims in Pakistan are killed in bomb blasts, target killing etc without any crime. But, this cult never show even concern on humanitarian ground, but when same thing happen to them rarely, I think once, they cried with loud. And you who is raising the question, are you blind what's the situation prevailing in Pakistan. I feel sorrow, when even an innocent person, don't care to whom religion and country he belongs killed, but mostly Muslims are dying, no one care. That's my complaint. Hopefully you got my view. regards

Faizan Abdul Khaliq
May 28, 2013 7:11 pm

On a sad note no one takes notice of this. After all our judiciary is free but they are free to pursue their own will and dispense selective justice they don't have time for ahmadis they got more pressing matters like contempt of court to deal with terrorism is not a priority! Ahmadis qualified and educated are leaving pakistan which is a huge loss for this country but blinded but the crap taught by the mullahs against them we just dont care! we dont even made use of a noble laureate belonging to this community and the whole muslim world is yet to produce a man of Dr. Abdus Salam's potential!

Atif
May 28, 2013 7:15 pm

Thank you for writing this article. It is very necessary that the issue of Ahmedi (and other minorities) persecution in Pakistan is written about every day. Wish you could translate it and send it to Urdu newspapers too.

Abbasi
May 28, 2013 7:25 pm

Despite terrorist being arrested red handed on May 28, 2010, by the unarmed worshipers. Weak administrative and judicial system is unable to dispense justice.

Zafar Malik
May 28, 2013 7:36 pm

Thanks Sumaira for this nice article. I don,t think there will ever be justice in Pakistan for minorities, particularly Ahmadis. Unless common citizens standup for justice, leaders alone will never have the courage to change any thing on their own,, and common people will never ask for justice and fairness and equal rights for Ahmadis or other minorites, as they have been thoroughly brainwashed by open and relentless negative preachings of the religious bigots. Message of hate being spread is very powerful and effective as people are being told that this hate is sanctioned by Islam, and who has the wisdom and courage to ask " does Islam really teach this?"

Expat (usa)
May 28, 2013 7:42 pm

May 28th,2010, 3 years have passed 86 of a minority community massacred and no action has been taken, Mr. Shahbaz Sharif chief minister of Punjab who prides himself as an excellent administrator, evidently for political reasons stayed untouched by this heinous crime, for that matter the whole nation. Pakistan has shown the whole world that minorities are dispensable, sacrificial lambs at the altar of religious fanatics. So much for equal rights & security of citizens in a country ironically created so that rights of Muslim minority could be protected !!

Nasiroski
May 28, 2013 7:58 pm

The silent majority of Pakistani muslims especially Sunni's (Being one of them) do not realize, that they are also responsible for supression and injustice by being silent. STaying silent is not an option, we need to speak up against this brutality, If this is not Islam than what is??

Tahira
May 28, 2013 8:02 pm

The character of Pakistani nation has changed. To speak up against injustice by any one has become a death knell, as is seen in the murder of Salman Taseer. So all are quiet to save themselves and their families. It should be realised that silence against injustice is just like connivance in the injustice. Hope and pray for more courage to prevail in Pakistan.

Capt C M Khan
May 28, 2013 8:30 pm

Not a single comment for this CRIME. I am not an Ahmadi but Sunni. My heart bleeds at this sort of inhuman acts. I am ashamed of being from Pakistan where the UNARMED/MINORITIES are their to kill and the ELITE/EDUCATED/MIDDLE class looks the other side. sad very sad indded.

Muhammad
May 28, 2013 8:44 pm

Don't single out only this incident. in our country, no one is getting justice. Is there any incident where culprits are cought and got punishment?. Even the Ranger guy who killed a young guy in karachi, video and every thing is presenet, still waiting for justice. Every second day a bomb blast but no law in our country. So don't make this incident as special as there is no justice at all in our country.

KHK
May 28, 2013 8:45 pm

Shame

TKhan
May 28, 2013 8:53 pm

It all happened under the watch of PML-N and yet the People of Punjab voted them in with a huge majority.

Last I noticed that the blood gushing in my Sunni Body is the same color as in the followers of any other religion. I trust Ahmedi's blood is red too. Blood should only be spilled when there is a need to write to spread peace but not to spread hatred.

darr
May 28, 2013 8:52 pm

ChiraGh-e-tur jalao baRa andhera hai. Zara naqab uthao baRa andhera hai. Mujhe Khud apni nigahon pe aitmad nahien; Mere kareeb na aao baRa andhera hai. Vo jin ke hote hai Khurshid aasteenon mein; Unhein kahien se bulao baRa andhera hai. Abhi to subh ke maathe ka rang kala hai; Abhi fareb na khao, baRa andhera hai. ?

Imran
May 28, 2013 9:03 pm

Brutal, barbaric, inhumane - I clearly remember the day this incident took place and it shook me to the core.

The saddest thing for me, being an ahmadi, was that no one came forward with a word of condemnation against this horrific act of terrorism. My classmates whom I went to university with and shared many laughs and tears were actively praising the 'courage' of the attackers on social media and seemed quite happy about loss of innocent life.

I feel far safer to follow and practise my religious beliefs in Europe than I do in my own homeland. And then we wonder why Pakistan is so far behind developed nations!

I priase the author for the bravery she has shown in writing on this issue but I feel that she is a 'fatwa' away from a hate campaign. May Allah protect her.

aminahyaquin
May 28, 2013 10:06 pm

May Allah heal the hearts of us all and help us to walk in Beauty
Peace be Upon the murdered and their families; May Allah open the hearts and minds of the murderers that they never hurt again

Burhan
May 28, 2013 10:17 pm

A tough day it was indeed !

Tahir Khan
May 28, 2013 10:20 pm

When God orders Ibless to bestow in front of Adam he refused, initaiting a choice for evil and good.God nominated human his succesor on earth,the first and foremost is HUMANITY, if there is no humanity there is no need for religion, the purpose of all religions are to provide you the guidelines to become good human beings. I would request my Pakistani brethren to see the suuferings of all humans, not from a narrow prespective, otherwise as per commandment of Allah the society who don't care for humans, ultimately vanishes,history bears to that.

Agha Ata
May 28, 2013 10:25 pm

Ahmadies, please keep your evidence safe. Time will come when you would be able to reopen the cases, and get justice. Pakistan was never supposed to be what it is. But, when you get justice, that would be the real Pakistan. And take my words, If that doesn't happen, Pakistan would cease to exist! (A non-Ahmadi)

Prafullbhai
May 28, 2013 10:27 pm

Shame To Sunni dominated Pakistan. Day is not far, Sunnis are going to follow same way by outside forces.

Abbasi
May 28, 2013 10:41 pm

28th May 2010 is another nail in the coffin of Quaid's Pakistan.

Naeem
May 28, 2013 10:45 pm

Pakistan is a nation of bigoted and unedcuated people. To expect justice in Pakistan for the Ahmedis will be a miracle. The only justice Ahmedis can expect is from Allah. The whole world is aware of the bigotry practised by Pakistanis and the whole world is paying back Pakistanis with the same bigotry - from Europe to USA. The likes of Hina Rabbani , etc may make sweet speeches but they cannot fool anyone. Look at Imran Khan- the so called playboy leader who has becme what I call "a born again Muslim". If an educated man like him can be bigoted , what hope do Pakistani Ahmedis have with the rest of their follow countrymen? Allah is the only one who can come to the aid of Ahmedis in Pakistan. I also have a firm belief that unless the State of Pakistan does not adhere to justice , this nation will never progress. Unless they amnend all the draconian laws against Ahmedis and other religous minorities, they will keep suffering as they are today!!! Allah has his own way of delivering justice.

ABDUL KHAN
May 28, 2013 10:51 pm

As a human, I feel ashamed and I feel broken. As a muslim, I feel accountable to this incident. Our nation is burning. We have infused ourselves into petty issues, that bring death. What a path we chose? They are humans, what they choose to do, is their business. Prophet stated, " that from my umma, they will rise, but they will be false". The talibans are just puppets of bigger scheme. Everyone is playing the cards well, and public is and will pay further.

Intisar Malhi
May 28, 2013 10:51 pm

Yes, the government machinery that cannot defend its own governor, former prime minster, and their families could not be expected to do much in terms of bringing accountability to the culprits of terrible crimes against a discriminated community.

But by making several laws against a small minority community, the government is condoning violence targeting the community if not encouraging it.

For the new government to start to earn some trust and respect of the Pakistani nation, it is essential that discrimination coded into the laws of the country be removed. The government should be a protector of all Pakistanis irrespective of their faith, language, and clan.

pathanoo
May 28, 2013 11:03 pm

My heart breaks for Kanwal and the grandfather and several other Ahamadias and the minorities in Pakistan. Don't the defenders of GREAT PEACEFUL ISLAM HAVE ANY SHAME? I know they have no brains as they are living in the barberic 7th century and it's ethos. Is the what "THE LAND OF THE PAK" was created for?

Ahmee
May 28, 2013 11:13 pm

The nation is waiting for the time when it comes to them, their sect, their family and their loved ones. We have lost ours we don't wish the same agony and pain upon you, we have been taught differently. The land does not offer Justice but the sky shall deliver it soon for Allah SubhanatAllah is the best of Judges.

THINK: What happened to all the opponents, ranging from Bhutto to Zia, Maudodi's to Molvi's? Contrary, where the Ahmadiyya Jamat stands today? Let me tell you we organize Peace conferences here, we present Muhammad SAW as the messenger SAW of Peace here, We propagate Islam with the message of live for all hatred for none where as you even hate your brothers and sisters. Alas

Lesson: Those who joined hands against Ahmadis are suffering today and the misery will persist until sense prevails and the nation seeks forgiveness from Allah SubahantAllah...We were killed wrongly but now Allah SubahantAllah has brought this on you. Sadly you are adamant and not learning. May Peace, Love and Humanity Prevails in my Motherland…Amen

Sam
May 28, 2013 11:31 pm

As long as Pakistani discourse on human rights begins with "Islam gave people more rights 1500 years ago than anyone else", this kind of bigortry will continue to happen.

YA
May 28, 2013 11:42 pm

Ahmadis are like a canary in the coal mine, and the canary has been dead for a while. This is one issue where the majority of Pakistanis stand united. This is indicative of what is in store for Pakistan's future.

aamir khan
May 28, 2013 11:47 pm

I wonder what the Prophet SAW would do about this. Would he declare them unfit to receive justice? or would he stand up for their rights and see that justice was done.

kdspirited
May 28, 2013 11:54 pm

Shameful mark on the nation and its people. There is no justice in our country for the wronged. The recent election are a proof. There is no azad adliya and no accountability. Even after proof after proof of dhandli in the elections not one person has been apprehended on prosecuted or barred. This is apathy. We are dead

Azmat
May 29, 2013 12:29 am

A unjust society is a weak society and she needs " Youm e Takbeer" to make herself feel secure and strong.

S.A. Afaqi ,
May 29, 2013 12:50 am

May God Almighty bless the souls of the 86 Ahmadiyya and may the heavy-heart, members of the grieved families surely become the torch-bearing example of 'sabr-e-jameel', patience and tolerance and through the Courts, they get justice and the culprits are punished under the law so that the interests of society are saved, secured and strengthened. Let this 'killing spree' of Friday-prayer-gathering of Ahmadiyya citizens be accepted as a test case by the new rulers of Lahore.

rish
May 29, 2013 12:56 am

What r the "moderate" and "liberal" pakistanis saying? Like Musharraf and Imran Khan... not a word Genocide is an international crime. In Pakistan, killing non muslims or " NOT REALLY MUSLIMS" has no consequence

najam
May 29, 2013 2:29 am

Sumaira,

Khuda apko jizza de. You remind us of horrific act that no one wants to remember.

regards, Najam

Saeed
May 29, 2013 2:51 am

Everyone loudly mentioning Pakistan , but no one talking about religion. Even someone make religion responsible, than whole ummah will defend the religion.

Cynic
May 29, 2013 2:56 am

" you become what you hate".

Chaudhry
May 29, 2013 3:12 am

Today is the third anniversary of martyrs of Lahore. No justice has been done. We love Pakistan and its stability, we pray for its success and survival. Its not only Jama'at Ahmadiyya, rather the whole nation is a hostage in the hands of international bandits. But, its the land of pure and one day it will be cleaned for the pure. That day the expelled and tortured pure will be invited back and humbly requested to hold the responsibility. Only that will be the day of revival and way of survival, that day is bound to come. Sooner it comes better it is, delay will create more chaos. I hope bottom line is not far if not yet arrived.

Khalid
May 29, 2013 3:16 am

I feel for my sister Kanwal and wish I could give her hope. I am a Sunni Muslim but I can assure you I am ashamed to be a Sunni. Ashamed to be a Muslim and ashamed to be a a Pakistani. I want to convert to a Shia, Hindu, Christian and Sikh just to see how it feels to be a minority in Pakistan. I know I won't like it.

NAK
May 29, 2013 3:19 am

This make it sound like all the other incidents of tens-of-thousands of murders of innocent Pakistanis (in past 5 years) through bombs and gunshots have been solved and only cases of religious "minority" murders are unresolved.

Akil AKhtar
May 29, 2013 4:09 am

Where is the justice for the 30000 non ahmedis, non christian, non hindus killed (ie.e the majority). To single out minoroties only as if the rest are living in paradise is dishonest and deceptive. It may serve the purpose of demonising Pakistan....The condition of minorities in pakistan is no worse than that in india but you don't see hindus writing articles and demonising india...

Dr.Emile Unjom
May 29, 2013 5:37 am

Thank you for being a friend of the voiceless-the minorities of Pakistan. In post Jinnah Pakistan they are suffering ever since as if they do not matter with NO HOPE ON THE HORIZON. Still we do not abandon hope, as someday someone will see the light of day in the 11th of Aug, 1947 speech of Jinnah and painfully realize the deliberate, intentional and selfish pursuits of those in power who toyed with this country to bring it closer to our present state. Hopefully someone will try to clean the slate, even keeping the minorities in mind as did Jinnah. Who, knows what sufferings still lie in the lot of the suffering minorities. May God bless Jinnah's Pakistan, which definitely is not what he envisioned. Dr. Emile Unjom (A Christian brother)

Akbar
May 29, 2013 6:27 am

Why do these journalists keep making a repeating this story ? Maybe they want to increase sales creating contovesery.

khan
May 29, 2013 6:29 am

Actually minority is ruling in Pakistan.Those who are doing these crimes are in minority.And the majority is coward and scared of these criminals.We should create a country for these kind of criminals,and let them do whatever they want.We have to free Pakistan from these criminals.In fact Pakistan does not exist now.All right minded people should stand united and create Pakistan again.A country where everybody can live freely without fear.No discrimination.No sunni,no shia,no ahmadi,no hindu ,no christian but only Pakistani.The dream of Jinah and Iqbal

Qaiser Bakhtiari
May 29, 2013 7:06 am

What is more despicable than this is that somehow Pakistanis have the guts to protest against countries the killing of Palestinians, Kashmiris and God knows who, when in their own backyard there are innocents that are being killed without impunity. There is a reason why Quran speaks in volumes against munafiqeen (hypocrites)

mohammad
May 29, 2013 7:53 am

WE, WE THE PEOPLE OF PAKISTAN NEED MORE TOLERANCE AND WE SHOULD TRY TO LEARN TOLERANCE FROM THE LIFE OF OUR LEARNED LEADER KHAATIM UN NABEYEEN ,LAST PROPHET MOHAMMAD(SALLALAHU ALAI WASSALAAM=PEACE BE UPON HIM).

Rabia
May 29, 2013 7:53 am

how absolutely shameful this situation is.

Irfan
May 29, 2013 8:15 am

Misleading Article trying to to give a spin to the whole situation.. Who has got justice..?? Did the people who were slain during Juma Prayer in the mosque in Westridge get any justice...??? Injustice is every where.. Its not a minority issue.. Please do not spread hatred by singling out a community where everyone else is feeling the same pain..!!!

Agnikul
May 29, 2013 8:43 am

@R Singh: Try reading the sentence again, this time the whole sentence, a full stop marks the finish. Got it?Pakistan's law supports discrimination only against this minority.

Agnikul
May 29, 2013 8:48 am

Shameless, cruel, unjust people make up the majority of Pakistanis.

Arif
May 29, 2013 9:19 am

I would like to tell Kanwal, that its a lost cause. Unfortunately, i have no high hopes from this nation, although i belong to Pakistan as well. My advise to the ahmadis is to gradually migrate to foreign lands where theres more tolerance. I am not an Ahmadi, but i would never kill one, nor label them as non-muslims. This is the upbringing my parents gave me. Quran clearly says that theres no compulsion in judgement (2:256), theres free will to accept or reject (18:29), Everyone has the right to practice what they want (109:6), Allah will tell people in the end of what they believed (6:159). God didn't ask Musa(as) to go kill the Firon, nor did God ask Ibraheem(as) to go kill his own father. God clearly says that in the episodes of the messengers is a learning for us (12:111). This hatred will go on and on for centuries until we dont reform ourselves. Good luck till then.

omer farooq
May 29, 2013 10:17 am

Its unfair for anyone to take law into their own hands. However their declaration of being non muslims and the prohibition for them to use Islamic terminologies stands as they are truely non muslims. Lets strike the right balance here.

Valerie Ward
May 29, 2013 10:32 am

I look forward to the day when the 'land of the pure'(Pakistan) will live up to it's name and allow the goodness that does exist in its people to rise above the sectarian hatred which is allowed to dominate the country.

Faiza
May 29, 2013 10:55 am

Ironically, the same people who do not feel an ounce of shame in persecuting minorities in Pakistan, are out on the roads the moment any little incident happens to a muslim in a non-muslim country

Fawad
May 29, 2013 10:59 am

Horrible situation. Where we are going? Come on people this is not Islam, killing other minorities....

Syed S
May 29, 2013 11:59 am

Justice must be done for all regardless of race, religion and color. It is important that justice is available for all and for all the time. regardless of any cost.

Thayyib Ahmed
May 29, 2013 12:32 pm

Three years on, no justice for 86 dead Ahmadies unfortunately it is still counting… as one of the survivor said, “Is dunya mein to bilkul bhi nahi, (the Justice) akhrat mein zaroor!.. Yet another community member says that asking for justice only means ‘more deaths’. she says she is waiting for the day when Pakistanis will stand up for Ahmadis… considering the current situation I think that day is still a long distance dream… If Ahmadies are wrong in their believes, and the killers are the true followers of Islam and Prophets Muhammad (peace and blessings Allah be upon him) this is absolutely shame and injustices to the Muslims and to the humanity as a whole.

MS AbdulRahman
May 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Barbarous ! I have been very close to some men from the main 'Ahmadi' family. We used to study in the same institution and even stayed for many years in the same dormitory in a boarding school. So much so that sometimes I was mistaken to be one of them. I was even confronted by other students when going around with my 'Ahmadi' room-mate. This boy used to read Holy Quran in the morning and offer five times prayer with us. I sometimes visited their home in Islamabad too. But never it came to my mind that he was 'Mirzai' or I was Sunni Muslim . We mingled with each other well, even to this day, when he has become an American citizen and I am somewhere in a Gulf country. We are in constant touch with each other via Facebook. Opinions could differ even among blood brothers, so why this ferocious animosity? Who are these self-made protectors of religion who have come out to set the things 'right' ? For God's sake stop this insanity, stop killing grandsons and grandpas. Live and let the world live in peace !!

Afaqi ,
May 29, 2013 1:23 pm

One of the attackers was caught alive and handed over to the police of Model Town but then nothing was heard of him or his whereabouts. This horrible episode reminds an Urdu verse:- Dekha jo khha ke teer Kameengah ki taraf, Apney hi doostoon say mulaqat ho gai. To say for Ahmadiyya community that they will get justice, it is simply an impossible thing to hope in the negative, unbearable social conditions created in Pakistan.

sarwat
May 29, 2013 1:29 pm

not only ahmadis, everyone is suffering in pak... shia/sunni... and other ppl from different religion are facing deaths of their loved ones.. no one can claim that a single community is suffering... secondly about ahmedi acceptance in PAk... ???? if i focus which pakistani is truely accpeted by any government.. we all are pupits,,,, another fact about the following attack.... we faced another attack on data darbar.. many ppl also faced deaths over there too.. on the other side why not to hightlight daily deaths, rape issues, etc in which ppl are worsely survivng?????.try to focus all the issues... even i have faced deaths in my family too... ... but talking just about one religious party is not right....

Ahmad
May 29, 2013 1:31 pm

Pakistan of Talebans Where Leaders are afraid of Mullas.

fawad aslam muhammad aslam
May 29, 2013 1:32 pm

Such kind of terrorist activities hab took place in last decade , terrorism was at their extreme in 2010, therefore no one could save from terrorism, neither minority nor majority. and gravencs of Ahmidies are true and , we as a nation must condemn such activities and, government should meet them timely, so lot of sympathies they deserve. As ahmidies ware not only targeted by terrorist and government had been condemn o lot on such kind of minorities attacks, .BUT writer should not support their ideas , their teaching and, their ideology. AS no one could be more harmful to Islam as ahmidies did and , still trying to defame the picture of Islamic ideology. And in this regard zulfikar ali bhutto and zia ul haq did great job and, we should not condemn their achievements for the Islamic republic of Pakistan. Minorities are free live , free to workship their own ideology, BUT they are not allow to demolish and defame the other religion.

M Afzal Qamar
May 29, 2013 1:47 pm

Justice? no hope from anyone.

Naveed
May 29, 2013 2:07 pm

August 11, 1947 address of Quaid-e-Azam Muhammad Ali Jinnah, to the members of the Pakistan Constituent Assembly.

“You are free; you are free to go to your temples, you are free to go to your mosques or to any other place of worship in this State of Pakistan. You may belong to any religion or caste or creed — that has nothing to do with the business of the State... We are starting with this fundamental principle that we are all citizens and equal citizens of one State... I think we should keep that in front of us as our ideal and you will find that in due course Hindus would cease to be Hindus and Muslims would cease to be Muslims, not in the religious sense, because that is the personal faith of each individual, but in the political sense as citizens of the State.”

Khalil
May 29, 2013 2:38 pm

I cant forget that day...I have lost my brother in mosque........

pramod
May 29, 2013 3:10 pm

Really time stops when something happens like this with your kid . I just imagined me and my son in the shoes of Nizam and i was restless, tears rolling down from my eyes.

Mishaal
May 29, 2013 4:18 pm

@R Singh: I think the writer meant "with the laws of the state strengthing this discrimination" ie violence against them is defended by the constituion. Obviously they are not the only minorities under abuse.

shakoor alam
May 29, 2013 5:59 pm

@Khalid: I am also a sunni and feel exactly the same sorry/shame/helpiessness for Ahmadis.

Tahir
May 29, 2013 6:19 pm

Assalamoalikum, The Islam which is known as a symbole of peace and tolorance has become now with so called pakistani Muslim symbole of violance terrorism. All this pathatic situation in pakistan is because of Pakistani Mullah who is misleading the innocent Pakistanis in all domaine. May Allah change the hipocratic attitude of nation.

Iqbal Khan
May 29, 2013 7:18 pm

They are not minority to start with.They are respectable citizen of this country like any other firqa and those who consider themselves majority should look into their own Greyban before declare others minority.By the way I am not Ahmadi.

Iqbal Khan
May 29, 2013 7:21 pm

@Valerie Ward: Land of pure you must be joking....

Ata
May 29, 2013 7:35 pm

I don't know how long one has to wait to see justice being done for heinous crime like this. I don't find minorities to get justice in near future either. Only Almighty Allah can punish those who are doing these things. It is not about the PMLN support for those elements even the most prosecuted minority of current time "SHIA" is not far away from maligning and cursing Ahmediya community all the time. When religion becomes the toy in hands of people societies are bound to see things like this all the time. Until or unless we don't get rid of these blood thirsty radical elements we can't be path of Muhammad peace be upon him.

Shahzad Akhund
May 29, 2013 7:54 pm

Shame on these mullahs, the so-called muslims, who are responsible for creating this false image of Islam. If we are to follow the Holy Prophet(pbuh), then we all must educate the illiterates so that they can understand the meaning of the Suras as well as read and understand Hadees. The Holy Prophet (pbuh) did not just give sermons, he practiced what he said to set a clear example that you cannot claim to be a true muslim simply by reciting kalima. One has to follow the life of the Holy Prophet(pbuh). One of his greatest qualities was tolerance, and that's what brought so many non-muslims into the fold of Islam. Unfortunately, the ancestors of these shameless mullahs went to the extent of writing their own versions of hadees. Luckily, we still have authentic copies of Hadees available. May Allah bless us all to follow in the footsteps of Holy Prophet(pbuh).

Amit-Atlanta-USA
May 30, 2013 12:38 am

Sumaira Jajja - DID WE HEAR THAT RIGHT?????????????

Have you ever heard of Pakistani Christians, Hindus, Hazara and other Shia Muslims?

Khan
May 30, 2013 12:46 am

@R Singh: Dude worry about India

Khan
May 30, 2013 12:50 am

Punjab has become the epic centre of local and global terrorism most of the banned organizations are based in Punjab e.g. Lashkar e Toiba, Lashkar e jhangvi, Sipah e sahaba, punjabi Taliban and no action is taken against them. These terrorist are terrorising Pakistanis in Sindh, Balochistan and NWFP and exporting terror abroad. It's time UN and NATO launch operations against them as Pakistani army will not do anything against their own relatives.

Bharat
May 30, 2013 1:43 am

@Amit-Atlanta-USA: You heard right, Amit. The journalist is using the Taquiya regulation in making that claim.

Pendoo
May 30, 2013 2:00 am

@Amit-Atlanta-USA: With all due respect, I would like to suggest that you should have read the whole article before commenting. In addition to your quoted comments, the article further states that Zulfikar Ali Bhutto had introduced a legislation to officially declare Ahmadis non-Muslims, and Ziaul Haq decided to add more clauses to it to further demonize Ahmadis. Please note that Ahmadis are the only group who are officially and legally declared non-Muslims in Pakistan. Thanks for your understanding.

Waheed
May 30, 2013 2:21 am

The day Pakistan will stand for Ahmadi, Shia, Christians or any citizen will never come. Did you hear that, that day will 'never' come. In fact the day Pakistan will stand for any civility or sensibility will never come either. However the day is coming closer for Pakistan to disintegrate under in-equality, injustice, poverty. Rich and resourceful will be the first to flee this sinking ship, be it Ahmadi, Shia, Christian or any other citizen.

KP
May 30, 2013 2:26 am

@TKhan: Because its a reflection of the true Pak Society. What u see is what u r!

Naureen
May 30, 2013 4:38 am

Thank you Sumaira for writing this piece reminding us of the atrocities that people in Pakistan are being subjected to. Extremely disappointing to read the article that there is no justice after 3 years and no hope for it in the future either, as the results of the recent elections are quite shocking. Just as the government was unable to rectify the justice system in the past, the new government will do little, if at all, and again, Ahmadis will probably come in the bottom of the list anyways, so they can just forget about it. I can see why people are frustrated - it must be a very claustrophobic feeling to realize that there is no light at the end of the tunnel. We have become such a complacant society, where we twist our tongues and shed a few tears and move on way too easily! It bothers me to think about what kind of world we are leaving behind for our future generations. However, when it comes to taking action, there is little even I have done myself. I live in Australia and discussed teh plight of the Ahmadiyya community with our state and federal MPs, but that was the extent of my practical actions. I think prayers are the only answer at this point.

Reader
May 30, 2013 5:29 am

@Amit-Atlanta-USA: read carefully. Ahmadis are the only minority in Pakistan who have been hounded for their faith, with the laws of the land strengthening this discrimination. strong text

KTShamim
May 30, 2013 6:20 am

Can you protect victim by putting victim in jail? Shouldn't the killers be in jail? What sort of justice is this?

[Qur'an 5:9] "O ye who believe! be steadfast in the cause of Allah, bearing witness in equity; and let not a people’s enmity incite you to act otherwise than with justice. Be always just, that is nearer to righteousness. And fear Allah. Surely, Allah is aware of what you do."

[Qur'an 4:136] "O ye who believe! be strict in observing justice, and be witnesses for Allah, even though it be against yourselves or against parents and kindred. Whether he be rich or poor, ..."

Kausik
May 30, 2013 6:59 am

What Bhutto and zia did by passing laws and declaring these Ahmadias as non Muslims has negated what Mr Jinnah wanted to avoid in Pakistan.If Muslims other than Sunnis killed mercilessly and no judicial inquiry so far encourages extremists to continue attacks un abated.I wonder when the silent majority wake up and change laws as predictions of maulana Azad proving to be true as intolerance is at worst.

asrar
May 30, 2013 7:34 am

@shakoor alam: If belive you are not Muslim

Sehr
May 30, 2013 8:15 am

@NAK yes many killings arent solved but the difference here is that some of those who committed the crime were overpowered and handed over to the police and yet no accountability. This was mass murder not just a shootout of a single individual

waqaralam
May 30, 2013 9:44 am

@Khalil: May ALLAH keep your brother RIP.

H. Basharat
May 30, 2013 9:57 am

After three years still my heart is bleeding. I still feel the bullets gone in my skin and stuck somewhere in my legs, in my liver and brain. They never ever taken out from my body. It hurts me and makes me miserable every night. If I ever sees any pic. of this Lahore incident, the tears start shedding continuously.

Jari
May 30, 2013 10:01 am

Hope some day will be a bright day for all minorities in Pakistan. We used to hear our elders telling us while growing up in Pakistan that khuda II lathhi bey awaz hoti hey. I don't know where are those elders gone in Pakistan.

Ali Syed
May 30, 2013 12:04 pm

Such a gruesome situation in Pakistan. And I wonder, why only the English newspapers publish such blogs/articles? Never seen any Urdu Newspaper dare to publish on these 'controversial' topics..

O J Deen
May 30, 2013 4:20 pm

Swords can win territories but not hearts !!!

Forces can bend heads but not minds !!!

Love for All, Hatred for None !!!

UMAIR AHMAD
May 30, 2013 7:55 pm

@M Afzal Qamar:

UR OK

Quds
May 31, 2013 12:35 am

Thank you for bringing attention to this matter. This issue is no longer an Ahmadi issue. Since extremists were allowed to have their way with Ahmadis, they have slowly become so powerful, they have taken over the country. They kill at will and with no repercussions.

This has also become a matter of national security because the world will not take the risk of seeing Pakistani nuclear arsenal fall into the hands of these suicide promoting extremists who are bent upon taking over the country and claim to kill anyone in the world who disagrees with them. So either Pakistan stops this menace, or the world will.

Abdul Waheed Zafar Rana
May 31, 2013 1:45 pm

I am at a loss to understand as to why have the Ahmadiyya Jamaat forgotten their "Shuhada of Lahore". Why they do Not remember them every Year on May the 28th, as They do for Example on Khilafat or yaume Masih Maud or Musleh Maud.

Khalid
May 31, 2013 2:10 pm

@shakoor alam: Dear Shakoor, I have lived in the UK for 30 years and miss my Pakistan and my birth city Karachi every day. Not todays Pakistan but the Pakistan I left behind more than quarter of a century ago when we all lived happily Muslims (not shias and sunnis, deobandis and so on), Hindus, Christians and Sikhs and let us not forget about Parsis. I used to go to Majlis and loved the sharbat they use to offer. No one said anything. We all tolerated each other. Sounds like a dream in todays Pakistan.

Hammad Siddiqui
May 31, 2013 2:16 pm

When a human is killed, its shameful for the whole humanity!

Explore: Indian elections 2014
Explore: Indian elections 2014
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
How much do you know about Indian Elections?
Poll