DERA ISMAIL KHAN: The official security detail provided to former Khyber Pakhtunkhwa chief minister Ali Amin Gandapur has been withdrawn, it was learnt here on Tuesday.
While the withdrawn police squad belonged to Peshawar, Mr Gandapur still has a security detail from his native Dera Ismail Khan district, according to sources close to the ex-chief minister. It was not immediately clear who ordered the official security personnel’s withdrawal.
However, the press secretary to Chief Minister Sohail Afridi denied the issuance of any such orders.
According to sources, a 16-member security squad assigned to Mr Gandapur was recalled late Monday night. The contingent comprised two jammer operators, eight gunmen and six drivers, who worked in shifts. All personnel belonged to the police department.
Of them, 14 officials were deployed for the ex-CM’s security, while two were assigned to his brother and MNA, Faisal Amin Gandapur.
Chief Minister Afridi’s press secretary denies issuance of any such orders
Sources close to the ex-chief minister said that one jammer and one pickup carrier had been returned to the provincial government. The sources said that Gandapur and his brother had personally spoken to the officer who had conveyed CM Afridi’s orders to confirm and authenticate the withdrawal of the police escort.
In a statement, Mr Gandapur said that at 11pm last night, Afridi’s deputy chief security officer (CSO) called his security personnel, saying that it was the CSO’s orders to withdraw the security detail.
“I had one jammer and one double-cabin vehicle provided by the provincial government. There were 14 personnel deployed with that vehicle,” he said.
The ex-CM said when those personnel informed him about the orders, I told them to pack up everything. This is the actual truth,” he said. Mr Gandapur said that even if that security detail was restored, he wouldn’t accept it.
“I want to tell the chief minister that there is no need to return this security to me, now. I do not need it,” he declared.
The spokesman for Gandapur, Faraz Ahmed Mughal, insisted that the withdrawal was initiated on the instructions of CM Afridi.
He said the Chief Minister’s Office contacted the security in charge and ordered withdrawal of the security detail, adding that Gandapur followed the directives within minutes.
Meanwhile, in a statement, the KP chief minister’s press secretary said that there was no truth in reports about Mr Gandapur’s security detail being withdrawn by Afridi.
“No such decision has been taken, nor have any instructions been issued to the relevant authorities in this regard,” he said.
Further, an official at the Chief Minister’s Secretariat said that Mr Gandapur was asked to return two jammers and the associated personnel, as they’re required to be used by CM Afridi.
“Under the rules, the former CM was not entitled to retain jammers. He was supposed to return them as well as the vehicle,” he said.
The official claimed that the security detail hadn’t been withdrawn from Mr Gandapur, who continued to have police escort.
Mr Gandapur had previously faced multiple security threats, with a hand grenade attack taking place at his residence.
Official sources said that the decisions regarding security personnel’s deployment and withdrawal were made in accordance with threat assessments and administrative requirements.
Political observers said that the development was also significant in the context of the recent differences between Mr Gandapur and CM Afridi.
Published in Dawn, February 25th, 2026




























