TTAP condemns spate of terrorist attacks in Balochistan, labels it ‘security failure’

Published February 2, 2026
TTAP chief Mehmood Khan Achakzai, accompanied by other leaders, addresses a multiparty conference at the Karachi Press Club.—Shakil Adil/White Star/File
TTAP chief Mehmood Khan Achakzai, accompanied by other leaders, addresses a multiparty conference at the Karachi Press Club.—Shakil Adil/White Star/File

The opposition alliance Tehreek Tahafuz Ayeen-i-Pakistan (TTAP) on Monday condemned the spate of attacks in Balochistan last week, and called it “a security failure on the part of the provincial government and law enforcement agencies”.

On Saturday, the military’s media affairs wing said terrorists of Fitna-al-Hindustan carried out a spate of attacks across Balochistan. 18 civilians and 15 personnel of security forces were martyred in the attacks on Saturday.

In a statement, posted on X, the TTAP condemned the attacks and expressed sorrow with the martyrs. It noted that “a terrorist attack in the province on such a large scale was a failure on the part of the provincial government and LEAs”.

The opposition alliance stated that the series of attacks showed the “extent to which the rule of law has become limited in the province and the lack of concern for the lives and property of citizens.”

“For how long will we turn a blind eye to the fact that the provincial government — which does not have the public’s support — is only interested in prolonging its time in power,” TTAP said.

The opposition alliance maintained that “only governments whose own moral standing was not under question were capable of combating terrorism”.

TTAP reiterated its demand for “free and fair elections” in reference to the 2024 General Elections.

It further stressed that “representative governments were the only solution to the problems, not rulers and systems imposed against the will of the public”.

During the early morning hours on Saturday, multiple terrorist cells attacked more than 10 cities and towns in Balochistan. The targets were primarily security and government installations.

Suicide bombers, including female attackers, were part of the assault force. Security forces engaged the terrorists in gun battles across the province.

During the skirmishes, 15 security personnel were martyred and 18 civilians lost their lives. As the attacks subsided, security forces launched a series of cordon-and-sweep operations to clear towns, cities, and the countryside of terrorist presence.

Opinion

Editorial

More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...
Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...