Rs820m fine imposed on over 55,000 ‘unfit’ vehicles, Sindh Assembly told

Published January 31, 2026
Vehicles giving out too much smoke are unfit for the roads. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star/File
Vehicles giving out too much smoke are unfit for the roads. / Photos by Fahim Siddiqi / White Star/File

KARACHI: The Sindh Assembly was informed on Friday that the provincial government was cracking down on unfit vehicles, with 56,200 heavy vehicles being proceeded against and fines amounting to Rs820 million imposed last year.

Furnishing a statement and replies to the lawmakers’ written and verbal queries during Question Hour, Senior Minister Sharjeel Memon, who also holds the portfolio of the transport department, said that as many as 2,935 dumpers, 2,138 oil tankers, 183 tractors, 13,918 trailers, 30,917 trucks, and 6,109 water tankers were issued challans in the last year.

He said that fitness certificates for the vehicles were previously issued manually, with no proper record. Even the vehicles from KP and Balochistan obtained certificates from Sindh.

“The entire system has now been computerised, and no vehicle can operate on the roads without computerised fitness certification,” he added.

System to issue vehicles’ fitness certificates fully computerised, Sharjeel tells house

To a question, he said that the process of purchasing additional new buses was underway, while some buses were currently at the port. “The Sindh government has approved 500 more buses,” he added.

The minister said that around 200,000 people travel daily on Sindh government buses, while daily ridership on the Green Line has increased from 50,000 to around 85,000 passengers.

“The Orange Line and Green Line have been integrated to eliminate double fares and pink buses are operating for women on BRT routes,” he added.

Mr Memon stated that no new route permits were being issued, and expired permits are not being renewed on routes where government buses are operating.

In response to a verbal question by Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan’s member Najam Mirza, he said that the DIG Traffic issued instructions to the transport department and traffic officials regarding the operation of the traffic signals.

The minister said that 12 new traffic signals had been installed across the city, including Model Colony, Gulberg, Tahir Villas, Comprehensive School, Tipu Sultan Road, Guru Mandir, Mochi Mor, Kamran Chowrangi, Munawar Chowrangi, Steel Town, Township Crossing, and Madrasah Chowk Sparko.

He said that work was also underway on the traffic smart system and smart city project. “Some signals are automatic, while others are manual, depending on requirements,” he said.

In response to a verbal query by MQM-P’s Dr Fauzia Hameed, the transport minister said that signal contracts were awarded through transparent bidding under the existing rules.

To another question, he said that a free shuttle service had been introduced for passengers after the relocation of the bus terminal outside the city.

Mr Memon said that the Sindh government has launched a free EV Scooty scheme for women. “Previously, only 150 women in Sindh held motorcycle driving licenses, while 15,000 women have now applied,” he informed.

The transport minister said that clear instructions had been issued to the health department ambulances on using sirens and lights. “Sirens are only used when picking up a patient and taking them to the hospital, as per the instructions given,” he added.

Third-party insurance bill sent to standing committee

The assembly referred the Provincial Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill to the standing committee, proposing compulsory third-party liability motor insurance for registering or transferring vehicle ownership, excluding two-wheelers.

Once the bill is approved, Sindh motorists will need to buy third-party liability insurance, covering damages to others in accidents, not their own vehicles.

The Sindh cabinet had in December last year decided to roll out the initiative from the next financial year to provide compensation for accident victims and insurance coverage for drivers of private and commercial vehicles

The bill, presented by Law Minister Zia-ul-Hasan Lanjar, proposes two key amendments, one making third-party liability motor insurance compulsory and the other setting compensation amounts for accident victims.

Speaker Syed Awais Qadir Shah directed the standing committee on The Excise and Taxation Department to review the bill and submit its report within two weeks.

Resolution passed unanimously

The house unanimously passed a resolution for the 7th Commonwealth Parliamentary Association (CPA) Asia Regional Conference and 2nd Joint CPA Asia & South-East Asia Regional Conference 2026 in the Sindh Assembly.

The resolution was presented by Senior Minister Sharjeel Memon.

Later, the house was adjourned to Feb 9.

Published in Dawn, January 31st, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

Some progress
Updated 24 May, 2026

Some progress

Pakistan deserves credit for helping preserve diplomatic space, but also must avoid appearing aligned with coercive pressure from any side.
Chinese market
24 May, 2026

Chinese market

PRIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s trip to China presents an opportunity to rebalance Pakistan’s economic...
Harvesting humans
24 May, 2026

Harvesting humans

ORGAN brokers have for too long preyed on desperation to rake it in. The odious trade — among the most harmful...
More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...