Migrant death ship to be shown at Venice art fair

Published May 8, 2019
Venice: Barca Nostra, a fishing vessel that sank on April 18, 2015, is being installed in Venice’s former shipyards as part of the centrepiece of an art project by Swiss-Icelandic artist Christoph Buechel at the International Art Exhibition of the Venice Biennale.—AFP
Venice: Barca Nostra, a fishing vessel that sank on April 18, 2015, is being installed in Venice’s former shipyards as part of the centrepiece of an art project by Swiss-Icelandic artist Christoph Buechel at the International Art Exhibition of the Venice Biennale.—AFP

VENICE: The remains of the worst known Mediterranean migrant shipwreck, in which up to 900 people died, will be exhibited at the prestigious Venice Biennale art fair this week.

The blue and red fishing boat was carrying almost 1,000 migrants when it struck a Portuguese cargo ship that was coming to its aid off the coast of Libya during the night of April 18-19, 2015.

The boat sank quickly as the cargo ship’s horrified crew raced to save 28 people.

Swiss artist Christoph Buchel obtained permission from Italian authorities and a group that represents the victims to transport the hull to Venice as part of a project called “Barca Nostra” (Our Boat).

It will be shown in a shipyard by itself, without any explanation. “It is a quiet site, sheltered from noise, an invitation to silence and meditation,” said Paolo Baratta, the head of the Venice Biennale which opens on Saturday.

Italy spent around 10 million euros ($12 million) to raise the wreck from a depth of 370 metres (1,200 feet) and transport it to Sicily so the victims could be identified and given a proper burial.

A large rectangular opening was cut in the hull to allow workers to recover hundreds of bodies, with dozens of medical examiners called in to examine the remains of 800-900 people.

Travel documents from Bangladesh, Erit­rea, Ethiopia, Gambia, Guinea-Bissau, Ivory Coast, Mali, Senegal, Somalia and Sudan, were found, along with small packets of earth from some migrants homelands and a school report that a teenager had sewn into their clothes. “It seems we are looking at the worst massacre ever seen in the Mediterranean,” UNHCR spokeswoman Carlotta Sami said at the time.

Published in Dawn, May 8th, 2019

Opinion

Editorial

Border clashes
19 May, 2024

Border clashes

THE Pakistan-Afghanistan frontier has witnessed another series of flare-ups, this time in the Kurram tribal district...
Penalising the dutiful
19 May, 2024

Penalising the dutiful

DOES the government feel no remorse in burdening honest citizens with the cost of its own ineptitude? With the ...
Students in Kyrgyzstan
Updated 19 May, 2024

Students in Kyrgyzstan

The govt ought to take a direct approach comprising convincing communication with the students and Kyrgyz authorities.
Ominous demands
Updated 18 May, 2024

Ominous demands

The federal government needs to boost its revenues to reduce future borrowing and pay back its existing debt.
Property leaks
18 May, 2024

Property leaks

THE leaked Dubai property data reported on by media organisations around the world earlier this week seems to have...
Heat warnings
18 May, 2024

Heat warnings

STARTING next week, the country must brace for brutal heatwaves. The NDMA warns of severe conditions with...