Unprovoked firing by Indian forces across the Line of Control (LoC) has taken 832 lives lives while 3,000 have been injured and 3,300 houses been damaged, the director general (DG) of the Disaster Management Authority (DMA) informed the National Assembly's Standing Committee on Kashmir Affairs Monday.
Presided over by PML-N MNA Khalil George, the standing committee had discussed Indian ceasefire violations on the LoC.
DMA DG Zaheeruddin Qureshi informed the committee that about 425,000 civilians residing in areas around the LoC were under threat because of Indian firing.
Incidences of firing have so far caused 832 deaths while 3,000 people have been injured. 3,300 houses have also been damaged as a result, Qureshi said.
The spokesperson for the AJK government also appeared before the committee. He complained of the Pakistan government not assisting them in providing financial assistance to the families of the deceased and injured. Rs300,000 are given to families of the deceased while Rs100,000 go to the injured, Qureshi said.
Members of the committee insisted on visiting the LoC to determine the accurate situation on the border, but were discouraged to do so by Dr. Syed Asif Hussain, Azad Jammu Kashmir's (AJK) additional chief secretary of planning and development.
"Indian behaviour has been inappropriate of late, which is why security agencies are recommending that the members of the committee postpone their visit to the LoC," Hussain informed the committee.
A date for the visit will be decided after clearance is received from security agencies, Hussain said, adding that the members of the committee would be potential Indian targets.