Trump unveils first TV campaign ad, urges ban on Muslims

Published January 5, 2016
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump addresses a gathering during a campaign stop at the Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass., Monday, Jan. 4, 2016. -AP
Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump addresses a gathering during a campaign stop at the Tsongas Center in Lowell, Mass., Monday, Jan. 4, 2016. -AP

NEW YORK: Republican frontrunner Donald Trump on Monday unveiled his first TV ad of the presidential election campaign, demanding a ban on Muslims entering the United States and vowing to decapitate the militant Islamic State (IS) group.

The 30-second ad will be broadcast in Iowa and New Hampshire from Tuesday, costing $2 million a week ahead of the state’s first-in-the-nation voting contests, his campaign said.

“The politicians can pretend it’s something else but Donald Trump calls it radical Islamic terrorism — that’s why he’s calling for a temporary shutdown of Muslims entering the United States,” says the voiceover on the ad.

The commercial opens with footage of the billionaire candidate addressing a rally before segueing into an image of President Barack Obama and Democratic frontrunner Hillary Clinton, and then mug shots of the couple responsible for the San Bernardino killings last month.

“He’ll quickly cut off the head of ISIS and take their oil,” added the male speaker, referring to the IS extremist group based in Iraq and Syria that allegedly inspired the couple. “And he’ll stop illegal immigration by building a wall on our southern border that Mexico will pay for,” the commercial added.

Iowa votes first in the nation in the nomination race, on Feb 1, followed by New Hampshire eight days later.

“I am very proud of this ad. I don’t know if I need it, but I don’t want to take any chances,” Trump said on Monday.

The real estate tycoon, who is funding his own campaign, has boasted of spending no money on political television ads until this one.

He has led the polls for months, using his bombastic and provocative style to dominate the media spotlight, without spending any of the $35 million he said he had expected to use on ads by Jan 1.

Published in Dawn, January 5th, 2016

Opinion

Editorial

Royal tantrum
Updated 20 Jul, 2024

Royal tantrum

The PML-N's confrontational stance and overt refusal to respect courts orders on arguably flimsy pretexts is a dangerous sign.
Bangladesh chaos
Updated 20 Jul, 2024

Bangladesh chaos

The unfortunate events playing out in Bangladesh should serve as a warning sign for other South Asian states.
Fitch’s estimate
20 Jul, 2024

Fitch’s estimate

FITCH seems to be more optimistic about Pakistan accelerating its economic growth rate to 3.2pc during this fiscal...
Misplaced priorities
Updated 19 Jul, 2024

Misplaced priorities

The government must call its APC at the earliest and invite all stakeholders to take part; this matter cannot be delayed further.
Oman terror attack
19 Jul, 2024

Oman terror attack

THE normally peaceful sultanate of Oman was shaken by sectarian terrorism on Monday when militants belonging to the...
Urban flooding
19 Jul, 2024

Urban flooding

THE provincial authorities have been taking precautionary measures, or so we have been told, to cope with emergency...