QUETTA: Balochistan Health Minister Rehmat Saleh Baloch said on Sunday that the ongoing campaign to administer measles vaccine to 3.5 million children across the province would continue despite an incident of firing in Surkhab area of Pishin district on a vaccination team.
“The ongoing anti-measles campaign will not be abandoned at any cost because we want to save our children from this fatal disease,” he told Dawn.
He said some quarters were trying to create hurdles in the way of the campaign but all such attempts would be foiled and maximum security would be provided to health teams engaged in it.
The minister said the health workers who came under attack had remained unhurt and security personnel guarding them had arrested eight people from an adjoining area.
He said two attackers were injured when Levies personnel returned fire.
The minister said a committee headed by the additional secretary for health was investigating the death of five children who had been brought to Quetta from Qila Saifullah after administration of measles vaccine.
“The committee comprising senior doctors and representatives of the World Health Organisation and other international organisations will soon submit its report,” Mr Baloch said, adding that its findings would be made public.
He said the campaign was successfully continuing in 30 districts of Balochistan, including Qila Saifullah and Quetta.
“Over 1.5m children were administered the vaccine between April 13 and April 19 and the target will be achieved by April 25.”
Published in Dawn, April 20th, 2015