PESHAWAR: The National Education Council (NEC), an association of the countrywide private schools, on Monday complained about non-provision of funds to the security of privately-owned educational institutions and urged the provincial government to end disparity in allocation of funds for the security of local schools and colleges.
It also demanded the immediate withdrawal of cases against owners of private schools over insufficient security on campus.
NEC deputy chairman Nazar Hussain told a news conference at the Peshawar Press Club that the government had provided funds to its educational institutions only for security checks ignoring private ones.
He said such a disparity should end without delay.
Demand Rs0.1m each to hire guards, procure arms, equipment
Flanked by the NEC regional office-bearers, Nazar Hussain said private educational institutions had been playing important role in the promotion of education sector and contributed a lot to the exchequer through taxes.
He demanded payment of Rs0.1 million to every private school for the hiring of guards and procurement of weapons and other equipment.
The NEC deputy chairman asked the government to provide equal share in the funds allocated for the security of its educational institutions in the province and said they played a key role in increase of literacy rate.
He said preliminarily, the education department directed the private educational institutions to increase their security and they were quick to comply with the directions despite having meagre financial resources but the government schools had yet to follow the directions.
“We demand allocation of Rs100,000 for each private educational institution for security,” he said. He warned that if the demand was not met, the council would move the court besides launching a protest campaign.
Nazar Hussain expressed concern over the cancellation of registration and non-provision of no objection certificate to several private educational institutions.
He said owners of private schools had been warned about dire consequences if they didn’t take appropriate security steps.
The NEC deputy chairman said all private educational institutions had fully supported and implemented the security plan outlined by the provincial government.
He, however, said the government schools and colleges didn’t take quick measures for the implementation of security plan.
Nazar Hussain flayed the registration of cases against owners of private schools over inadequate security steps and demanded their early withdrawal.
About the increase in tuition fee in the name of security, he said fee would be refunded to students if any school had so far charged in the country.
The NEC deputy chairman said the money would be refunded to parents if schools charged security fee.
He said the charging of security fee was a violation of the NEC decision taken recently in a nationwide conference in Islamabad.
Published in Dawn, March 3rd, 2015