Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

.

ISLAMABAD, May 12: PML-Q secretary general Mushahid Hussain Sayed has termed the PML-N’s decision to quit the federal cabinet after 42 days in power a failure of the leadership of the PPP and the PML-N in their first test of political acumen to resolve the judges’ issue.

Talking to newsmen at the Parliament House on Monday, Mr Hussain rejected reports of disintegration of the PML-Q or a change of leadership at the behest of the presidency and said that the president’s office was non-partisan and it had no role in politics.

He said the PML-Q leadership had been elected by its 3500-strong general council and its tenure would be completed in 2009.

“This is not the Ghulam Muhammad-era when parties were made and torn apart overnight as we are living in the time of an active and vibrant media which is watching every move of every politician,” he said.

Mr Sayed claimed that his party was united and vibrant and it had polled eight million votes in the general elections under the leadership of Chaudhry Shujaat Hussain.

When asked if his party would join the PPP-led coalition government to fill the void created by PML-N’s decision, Mr Sayed said his party wished the coalition to succeed and keep its unity intact.

He expressed the hope that even after quitting the federal government, the PML-N would continue its political support for the PPP at the centre and run the Punjab government in cooperation with the PPP.

He said that all political parties wanted the issue to be resolved and his party also had set up a constitutional committee to prepare and table a resolution in the National Assembly if the coalition failed to reinstate the deposed judges.

Mr Sayed condemned reported attempts by the government to gag the media and threats hurled on a television channel anchor by the Adviser on Interior Rehman Malik.

He said he had submitted a call-attention notice on the issue of threats given to the media.

He said his party supported media’s freedom and would stand by it in its struggle to maintain freedom of expression.