KARACHI: Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah on Thursday directed authorities to act swiftly on consumer complaints and ensure strict enforcement of official price lists in Ramazan, warning that profiteering would not be tolerated.
During an extensive visit to key commercial areas of the city, including Burns Road and Empress Market, he said that the provincial government would not tolerate profiteering or exploitation of consumers in Ramazan and directed the administration to remain vigilant and responsive to public complaints.
The chief minister personally reviewed prices of essential food items to ensure implementation of official rate lists during the holy month.
Accompanied by Local Government Minister Nasir Shah, special assistant Usman Hangoro, City Mayor Murtaza Wahab, Parliamentary Secretary Dr Bahadur Dahri, and commissioner Hassan Naqvi, the CM inspected prices of cooked food, fruit, and daily-use items, checked displayed rate lists, and interacted with shopkeepers and customers.
Asks officials to ensure observance of official rates in Ramazan, warns against profiteering
On Burns Road, he purchased Dahi Baray at Rs600 per kilogramme and expressed surprise at jalebi being sold for Rs1,200 per kilo, noting it was not under the notified price category.
He also spoke with traders, who posed for selfies with him, and helped a differently-abled person by giving him Rs5,000 for Iftar purchases.
At the Empress Market, he checked fruit and vegetable prices. The CM also inspected the KMC Price Complaint Cell and reviewed progress on the under-construction meat market.
Meeting on Sukkur Barrage Rehabilitation
Earlier, Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah on Thursday also presided over a meeting to review the third-year progress of the Sukkur Barrage Rehabilitation and Modernisation Project (SBIP), describing it as critical to Sindh’s irrigation security and agricultural economy, the APP adds.
The meeting, held at CM House, was attended by Irrigation Minister Jam Khan Shoro and Secretary of Irrigation Zarif Khero, and others.
The meeting participants focused on major civil, structural and mechanical upgrades, particularly the large-scale replacement of the barrage’s historic gates.
Irrigation Secretary Zareef Khero briefed the chief minister on ongoing inspections and progress at the site, including work on the cofferdam, barrage pavement and allied structural components.
The CM was informed that the cofferdam (phases II & III) has successfully enabled heavy construction activities across three major zones of the barrage.
Mechanical overhaul gains pace
During the briefing on mechanical works, the CM noted substantial progress in gate replacement.
Of the 27 new gates planned in the current phase (gates 15 to 43), 25 have been fully fabricated, achieving over 96 per cent completion.
Painting and sandblasting for corrosion protection have been completed on 19 gates, while dismantling of old hoisting systems and cutting of existing gates in the targeted sections have also been finalised.
Rehabilitation of the Left Bank Canal has reached 100 per cent completion, except for the Nara Canal, which remains under execution. At this, the CM directed the irrigation department to speed up Nara Canal rehabilitation works.
On the civil side, the chief minister was told that dredging at the Right Pocket had been completed, while dredging at the “Approach Channel” was underway to ensure uninterrupted water flow.
Zone-wise progress showed that in Zone-1, dewatering, desilting and GPR surveys of floors and piers have been completed, with concrete overlay work in progress.
In Zones 2 and 3, sheet piling and backfilling have largely been completed and dewatering and desilting activities are underway to prepare for further structural repairs.
Emphasising the strategic importance of Sukkur Barrage, the chief minister directed the irrigation department to maintain the momentum of Year-Three activities and ensure strict adherence to time-line.
“This barrage is the backbone of Sindh’s irrigation system. Precision in installing the new gates is vital for smooth irrigation flows and the long-term safety of this century-old structure,” Murad Ali Shah said.
He further instructed the irrigation department to resolve all remaining punch-list items from Phase-I, including minor rectification works on gates 44 to 59, without delay.
The meeting concluded with the chief minister reiterating that timely and quality completion of the modernisation project is essential to safeguard Sindh’s water security, agriculture and livelihoods.
Published in Dawn, February 27th, 2026


































