• Announces conclusion of ‘Operation Raddul Fitna-1’
• Military says 36 civilians, 22 security personnel martyred
• Train service resumes; internet likely to be restored today
• Officials say 100 suspects held
• Bugti links BLA to India

KARACHI: Security forces have concluded “Operation Raddul Fitna-1” in Balochistan, killing 216 terrorists in days-long clearance actions against “Indian-sponsored terrorist elements”, the Inter-Services Public Relations (ISPR) said on Thursday.

In a statement, ISPR said the operation comprised “coordina­ted, swift and intelligence-driven” actions against terrorists seeking to disrupt peace and development by targeting civilians, including women and children.

The operation followed a spate of attacks across Balochistan on Jan 31, which brought parts of the province to a standstill for several days.

“As a result of these well-coordinated engagements and subsequent clearance operations, 216 terrorists have been sent to hell, significantly degrading the leadership, command-and-control structures and operational capabilities of terrorist networks,” the military’s media affairs wing said.

The ISPR said 36 civilians, including women and children, and 22 personnel from the security forces and law enforcement agencies (LEAs) lost their lives.

“Their courage, professionalism and unwavering commitment reflect the highest traditions of service. The nation honours their sacrifice and stands in solidarity with the families of all martyrs,” the military said.

Detailing the sequence of events, the ISPR said operations were initiated on Jan 29 in Panjgur and on the outskirts of Harnai district after “credible and verified intelligence” about an imminent threat to the local public. It said 41 terrorists linked to “Indian proxy networks” were killed in that phase.

It said subsequent attacks by “Fitna al-Hindustan” were repelled and a broader series of intelligence-based operations were launched in multiple areas to dismantle “sleeper cells” through combing and sanitisation.

The state has designated Balo­chistan-based terrorist groups as Fitna al Hindustan to highlight Ind­ia’s alleged role in terrorism and destabilisation across Pakistan.

The ISPR said a “substantial cache” of foreign-origin weapons, ammunition, explosives and equipment had been recovered. It said preliminary analysis indicated “systematic external facilitation and logistical support to these extremist proxies”.

Reaffirming its commitment to counterterrorism operations under the National Action Plan, the military said operations would continue “until the complete elimination of terrorist threats”.

Following the Jan 31 attacks, security forces and LEAs continued mop-up operations in Nushki and other parts of the province earlier this week.

Accoding to the authorities, mobile internet services remained suspended in many parts of Balochistan, though Quetta was expected to be back online on Friday. They said Class VIII and IX exams would proceed as scheduled, while polio campaign was already underway in all districts, except Nushki.

Praise for forces

President Asif Ali Zardari commended security forces and LEAs for the operation’s completion, while PM Shehbaz Sharif also paid tribute to the officers and personnel involved, praising their “professional capabilities”.

Balochistan Chief Minister Sarfaraz Bugti, in a post on X, said the operation sent a “clear message to those committing acts of bloodshed in Balochistan”.

He described the banned Baloch Liberation Army (BLA) as a “fitna” targeting civilians and labourers and insisted that it was acting “at the behest of India”.

Search continue; 100 picked up

Meanwhile, Balochistan government spokesperson Shahid Rind said on Thursday that most areas had been cleared, search and combing operations were still underway in Quetta where at least 100 suspects were arrested. “The situation across the province is normal, including in Nushki and Quetta,”

he said.

He said illegal weapons, including recoilless rifles, anti-aircraft guns and rocket-propelled grenade launchers, had been recovered from some areas.

Mr Rind said the terrorists’ apparent target had been Quetta’s red zone, and that police and FC personnel engaged and forced them to leave their position. He said one challenge was that terrorists had blended in among civilians, raising the risk of “collateral damage”.

He said those who attacked police stations had been identified. He also said two female terrorists were killed during the operations, while three civilian women died in the attacks in Gwadar.

Asked about prison attacks, Additional Chief Secretary (Interior) Hamza Shafqaat said the Nushki jail superintendent was in stable condition and receiving medical care.

He said two prisons were attacked that led to the escape of inmates. “There is a hot pursuit and combing and sanitisation operations are ongoing,” he said, adding that updates from Nushki and Mastung would be shared within 24 hours.

Train service resumes

Also, Pakistan Railways resumed the service of Jaffar Express, which operates between Quetta and Peshawar, and the Quetta-Chaman train after a five-day suspension due to the security situation. The officials said both the trains departed for their destinations.

However, they added, the Bolan Mail service would remain suspended till Feb 12. Bolan Mail operates between Quetta and Karachi.

Meanwhile, Health Minister Bakht Muhammad Kakar said the health department had declared an emergency after the attacks and thanked medical staff for treating the injured.

Saleem Shahid in Quetta also contributed to this report

Published in Dawn, February 6th, 2026

Opinion

Editorial

Some progress
Updated 24 May, 2026

Some progress

Pakistan deserves credit for helping preserve diplomatic space, but also must avoid appearing aligned with coercive pressure from any side.
Chinese market
24 May, 2026

Chinese market

PRIME Minister Shehbaz Sharif’s trip to China presents an opportunity to rebalance Pakistan’s economic...
Harvesting humans
24 May, 2026

Harvesting humans

ORGAN brokers have for too long preyed on desperation to rake it in. The odious trade — among the most harmful...
More stabilisation
Updated 23 May, 2026

More stabilisation

The stabilisation achieved through painful growth compression steps could have been used as a platform for structural reforms.
Appalling tactics
23 May, 2026

Appalling tactics

IN Punjab, an encounter with the law can quickly turn deadly. Encouraged by a culture of ‘shoot first, ask...
Failed experiment
23 May, 2026

Failed experiment

IT is going from bad to worse for Shan Masood and Pakistan. It is now seven successive Test defeats away from home;...