One policeman was martyred while two were injured during an anti-bandit operation carried out in the riverine areas of Sindh, according to a statement from the Rangers spokesperson on Thursday.

Organised criminal gangs have been active in the riverine border areas of southern Sindh and central Punjab for decades, often making money through kidnap-for-ransom assaults. The military had launched a full-scale operation against criminal gangs in Sindh in the early 1990s but they resurfaced after successive governments failed to maintain law and order in the province.

The Sindh police and Pakistan Rangers (Sindh) had decided earlier this month to intensify ongoing joint operations against bandits in the province’s riverine areas.

According to a statement issued by the Sindh Rangers spokesperson today, the bandits opened fire on the police, martyring Police Constable Lashari and injuring two others. It added that the martyr hailed from Kandhkot.

The statement added that a “most wanted bandit” was killed in retaliatory firing while two bandits escaped with injuries.

It added that the slain criminal was named in several first information reports and was the brother of another notorious bandit who had a bounty on his head from the Sindh government.

The statement said the “Rangers surrounded the area and six more suspects were detained”, adding that the targeted operation against the escaped bandits was still under way while their hideout was destroyed.

The operation came in the wake of a significant ramp up in criminal activities by riverine bandits of Sindh and Punjab.

A police van was attacked last week by bandits with rockets, resulting in the deaths of over 12 policemen and multiple injuries to others in Rahim Yar Khan.

The Sindh and Punjab governments had vowed decisive action against the outlaws in the inhospitable riverine area. On Saturday, Sindh Home Minister Ziaul Hassan Lanjar said a “massive clean-up operation” would be launched in the riverine area as soon as the flood water recedes.

Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah and Governor Kamran Tessori on Tuesday took notice of journalist Mohammed Bachal’s killing by dacoits in the katcha (riverine) area of Rounti in Sindh’s Ghotki district. Bachal, a reporter with Awaaz TV, was gunned down by unknown men in Ghotki’s Rounti area.

Opinion

Editorial

More than words
04 Apr, 2025

More than words

WITH Balochistan in tumult, the political class needs to heal the province’s wounds with sagacity and...
Poor publicity
04 Apr, 2025

Poor publicity

FORTUNE does not seem to be favouring the PTI — at least not yet. With the party’s founder confined from public...
Party pooper
04 Apr, 2025

Party pooper

INDIA’s role of a spoilsport is tiresome. From pulling books from shelves, such as Wendy Doniger’s The Hindus: ...
Canal unrest
Updated 03 Apr, 2025

Canal unrest

With rising water scarcity in Indus system, it is crucial to move towards a consensus-driven policymaking process.
Iran-US tension
03 Apr, 2025

Iran-US tension

THE Trump administration’s threats aimed at Iran do not bode well for global peace, and unless Washington changes...
Flights to history
03 Apr, 2025

Flights to history

MOHENJODARO could have been the forgotten gold we desperately need. Instead, this 5,000-year-old well of antiquity ...