‘Nasla Tower is being pulled down despite problems,’ SC told

Published December 6, 2021
The ill-fated Nasla Tower is seen in this file photo. — Fahim Siddiqi/White Star
The ill-fated Nasla Tower is seen in this file photo. — Fahim Siddiqi/White Star

KARACHI: The city administration is learnt to have informed the Supreme Court of Pakistan that despite certain ‘unavoidable challenges’ on a daily basis, especially public protests and threats to contractor, the demolition work on illegally-constructed Nasla Tower was under way without any interruption as side walls of all floors had been demolished.

Informed sources said that Commissioner Muhammad Iqbal Memon on Friday submitted a detailed report to the apex court regarding the progress and challenges of the demolition work, which was going in ‘full swing’ with the help of heavy machinery and manual labour round-the-clock despite the ‘worst case scenario’.

Stating the current status of demolition, the report said that sidewalls of all floors had been demolished and de-rooting of all floors had been completed from centre, leaving some area for walking of labourers.

Also read: SC orders demolition of Karachi's Nasla Tower within a week

It said that both the lifts had been removed and the last step i.e. structural columns had been started top-down.

The apex court was informed that over 400 labourers, seven excavators, 25 demolition hammer machines a heavy machinery excavator with jackhammer were employed in the demolition of Nasla Tower, built over 1,121 square yards on Plot No193-A in the Sindhi Muslim Cooperative Housing Society at Sharea Faisal.

The Supreme Court on Nov 28 had ordered the commissioner to double the number of labourers from 200 to 400 to demolish the tower within a week.

The commissioner in his report stated that certain measures were also taken for the safety of the public and property.

The safety measures included the hanging of safety nets around the four sides of the building, installation of barriers, establishment of traffic police picket to facilitate the public movement to adopt the alternative route and deployment of police and Rangers.

Published in Dawn, December 6th, 2021

Opinion

Editorial

1971 in retrospect
Updated 28 Nov, 2022

1971 in retrospect

The point of no return came when the military launched Operation Searchlight in March 1971.
Gender-based violence
28 Nov, 2022

Gender-based violence

IT is a war without boundaries and seemingly without end. A UN report on femicide released on Nov 25, the...
Battle against dacoits
28 Nov, 2022

Battle against dacoits

THE Punjab police is clearly fighting a formidable, and so far losing, battle against the criminal gangs based in ...
Policy rate hike
Updated 27 Nov, 2022

Policy rate hike

The decision to hike the policy rate by 100bps is a step in the right direction, even if intended to appease the IMF.
Vawda’s reprieve
27 Nov, 2022

Vawda’s reprieve

FAISAL Vawda should be relieved. After years of running from a reckoning for submitting a false declaration in his...
Gujarat’s ghosts
27 Nov, 2022

Gujarat’s ghosts

TWO decades have passed since the bloody Gujarat riots, one of the worst spasms of anti-Muslim violence witnessed in...