ISLAMABAD: Balochistan government spokesperson Liaquat Shahwani has claimed that the number of people affected by coronavirus has decreased in the province by up to 50 per cent over the past two months.
Speaking at a news conference at the National Press Club here on Sunday, he said it was good news that due to the efforts of the provincial authorities the Covid-19 cases were declining, but warned that the number could surge again if the people violated standard operating procedures (SOPs) during the Eidul Azha days.
Mr Shahwani said the country had witnessed 450 per cent increase in the Covid-19 cases due to violations of SOPs during Eidul Fitr.
He said 11,344 tests were conducted in the province from July 1 to 11 and only 681 people were tested positive. Out of 323 tests conducted on Saturday, there were only 29 positive cases, he added.
The spokesperson said the situation was improving in Balochistan, but the people were required to observe more cautions during the Eid days.
He said when the pandemic hit the country some three months ago, there was shortage of laboratories and testing kits, but now centres had been set up in all the districts and the people were being asked to give samples for tests.
Mr Shahwani said so far 126 people had died due to Covid-19 in the province and 90 of them were those who had not undergone the test. He said the provincial government had chalked out a strategy for Eidul Azha and the magistrates would be given the task to ensure observance of the SOPs. He said elder people and children would not be allowed to enter cattle markets, which would be disinfected through sprays.
Published in Dawn, July 13th, 2020