QUETTA: A senior ‘commander’ and spokesman for a banned militant organisation and seven other militants have been killed in a gunbattle with security forces in Sibi district.

Addressing a press conference here on Wednesday evening, the Balochistan government’s spokesman, Anwar-ul-Haq Kakar, said two security personnel were also killed in heavy fighting which continued for several hours in Sangan area of the district.

“I confirm the killing of a high-profile commander of the banned Baloch Liberation Army, Aslam Achou alias Merick Baloch, in the gunbattle.

“He was an Afghan Tajik and his body is now in the custody of security forces,” he said.


Heavy fighting continued for several hours in Sangan area, says Balochistan govt spokesman


He said that about seven more suspected militants were killed in the operation.

Mr Kakar claimed that Aslam alias Merick Baloch belonged to Afghanistan and he came to Balochistan in 1992, joined BLA and became its very important commander.

He worked in the mineral department as a clerk because he possessed a Pakistani National Identity Card.

His family was living in Afghanistan, he added.

“Aslam alias Merick Baloch was also in charge of several camps set up in the area by his organisation,” the spokesman said, adding that he had links with the Afghan intelligence agency.

He was involved in killing hundreds of people, including high-profile security and other officials.

Head money

The government had announced Rs600,000 as his head money.

Around two dozen FIRs had been registered against him in different police stations of Sibi and Bolan districts.

He was wanted in cases of kidnapping for ransom and receiving extortion from coalmine owners of Margat and other areas of Bolan district, Mr Kakar said.

In reply to a question, the spokesman said that personnel of FC and an intelligence agency conducted a search operation on information about the presence of suspected militants. A heavy gunbattle took place in Sangan area of Sibi district between security forces and armed militants.

Mr Kakar said bodies of the two soldiers were brought to Quetta. Their funeral payers were attended among others by Balochistan Chief Minister Sanaullah Zehri, Com­mander Southern Command Lt Gen Aamir Riaz, GOC Maj Gen Abid and Chief Secretary Saifullah Chattah.

Published in Dawn, March 10th, 2016

Opinion

Editorial

The whole truth
28 Sep, 2022

The whole truth

THE war on truth has never been more relentless than it is today. Authoritarianism is on the rise and purveyors of...
Real-world trolls
Updated 28 Sep, 2022

Real-world trolls

It's reprehensible how PTI supporters now seem convinced that politicians from opposing camps aren't entitled to basic dignity.
Islamabad wildlife
28 Sep, 2022

Islamabad wildlife

PRESERVING biodiversity is low on the list of priorities of both state and society. However, successful attempts at...
Noon leaks
Updated 27 Sep, 2022

Noon leaks

PMO audio leaks are a national security emergency that ought to be investigated at the highest level.
Cipher probe offer
27 Sep, 2022

Cipher probe offer

CONSIDERING the toxic political polarisation in the country, former prime minister Imran Khan’s suggestion that ...
Delaying Doha plans
27 Sep, 2022

Delaying Doha plans

WHEN Doha announced its intention to spend $3bn in different commercial and investment sectors of Pakistan around a...