ISLAMABAD: Out of 1,169 parliamentarians, only 1,040 have filed tax returns for the Fiscal Year (FY) 2013-2014.
In the Parliamentarians Tax Directory issued on Friday by the Federal Board of Revenue (FBR) for the year ending June 30, 2014, a note by Finance Minister Ishaq Dar says “for the remaining parliamentarians, due process is being undertaken."
The "remaining" 129 parliamentarians' names have not been included in the PTD.
Five prominent parliamentarians missing from the PTD
- Murad Saeed
- Ghulam Rabbani Khar
- Makhdoom Amin Fahim
- Arif Alvi
- Sharmila Farooqui
According to the FBR, the Parliamentarians Tax Directory (PTD) is meant to provide tax details of members of the senate, National Assembly (NA) and the provincial assemblies (PAs).
As of April 10, 2015 of this year, the total tax filed by parliamentarians in the FY2013-2014 is Rs553,202,514. This figure consists of personal income tax returns and tax filed by parliamentarians as members of an Association of Persons (AOP).
The FBR defines an AOP as follows:
“Association of persons” includes a firm (the relation between persons who have agreed to share the profits of a business carried on by all or any of them acting for all), a Hindu undivided family, any artificial juridical person and any body of persons formed under a foreign law, but does not include a company.
The PTD documents tax filed by 96 members of the Senate, 305 members of the NA, and 639 members of the PAs.
- Senate: 96 members, 22.2pc of the total tax filed
- National Assembly: 305 members, 23.5pc of the total tax filed
- Provincial assemblies: 639 members, 54.3pc of the total tax filed
Which provincial assembly pays the highest taxes?
The Punjab Assembly pays the highest taxes in comparison to those of Sindh, Balochistan and Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, at approximately Rs185 million. However, nearly 55pc of this amount is AOP taxes.
- Punjab Assembly: Rs185m, with Rs84m in income tax and Rs101m in AOP tax
- Sindh Assembly: Rs70.6m, with Rs31.1m in income tax and Rs39.5m in AOP tax
- KP Assembly: Rs36.3m, with Rs26.5m in income tax and Rs9.8m in AOP tax
- Balochistan Assembly: Rs8.9m, with Rs8.8m in income tax and Rs0.1m in AOP tax
Highest and lowest tax filings
The highest personal income tax was filed by Punjab Assembly member Chaudhry Arshad Javaid Warraich.
The highest AOP tax was filed by Chaudhry M Asadullah, a Punjab Assembly member, while the lowest AOP tax was filed by Abdul Qahar Wadan, a member of the NA.
Only 98 members of the parliament were required to file AOP tax returns.
Of the 1,040 parliamentarians who have filed tax returns, 95 members of parliament paid no income tax. Of this group, five members paid AOP taxes, while 90 members paid absolutely no taxes at all.
Prominent parliamentarians featured in the PTD
- Nawaz Sharif: Rs2,611,037 in income tax
- Shahbaz Sharif: Rs5,125,545 in income tax
- Hamza Shahbaz Sharif: Rs4,888,122 in income tax
- Capt (Retd) M Safdar: Rs39,900 in income tax
- Ishaq Dar: Rs2,286,702 in income tax
- Pervaiz Rasheed: Rs313,681 in income tax
- Chaudhry Nisar: Rs641,284 in income tax
- Khawaja Saad Rafique: Rs2,041,936 in income tax
- Khawaja Asif: Rs311,638 in income tax, Rs4,410,491 in AOP tax
- Ayaz Sadiq: Rs327,895 in income tax
- Raja Zafarul Haq: Rs99,446 in income tax
- Rehman Malik: Rs17,379 in income tax
- Khursheed Shah: Rs100,054 in income tax
- Qaim Ali Shah: Rs111,772 in income tax
- Raza Rabbani: Rs685,707 in income tax and Rs420,865 in AOP tax
- Aitzaz Ahsan: Rs12,474,875 in income tax
- Sharjeel Memon: Rs1,589,564 in income tax
- Faryal Talpur: Rs 4,823,739 in income tax
Pakistan Tehkreek-i-Insaf (PTI)
- Imran Khan: Rs218,237 in income tax
- Shah Mehmood Qureshi: Rs1,533,731 in income tax
- Asad Umar: Rs489,457 in income tax
- Pervez Khattak: Rs660,619 in income tax
- Shireen Mazari: Rs1,121,005 in income tax
Muttahida Qaumi Movement (MQM)
- Farooq Sattar: Rs89,935 in income tax
- Abdul Rashid Godil: Rs31,377 in income tax
- Syed Ali Raza Abidi: Rs493,890 in income tax
- Babar Ghauri: No tax return filed
- Maulana Fazlur Rehman: Rs15,688 in income tax
- Sheikh Rasheed: Rs303,893 in income tax
- Aftab Ahmed Khan Sherpao: Rs1,688,917 in income tax
- Hasil Bizenjo: Rs29,818 in income tax
- Mehmood Khan Achakzai: Rs15,688 in income tax
- Ahmad Bilour: Rs835,893 in income tax
- Maulana Abdul Ghafoor Haideri: Rs30,169 in income tax
Tax filed for FY2012-2013 was Rs258,630,039 ─ less than half the tax amount filed for FY2013-2014.
- Senate: Rs80,589,963 of which Rs76,734,892 was income tax, and Rs3,855,071 was AOP and/or income support levy
- National Assembly: Rs51,087,920 of which 49,839,574 was income tax, and Rs1,248,346 was AOP and/or income support levy
- Provincial assemblies: Rs126,952,156 of which Rs125,264,601 was income tax, and Rs1,687,555 was AOP and/or income support levy
The complete Parliamentarians Tax Directory can be found here.
Know more: Parliamentarian Tax Directory FY2012-2013