Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

Surrounded by the hustle and bustle of the metropolitan city of Karachi, it is easy to forget to take a moment to appreciate it's unique charm.

In this collection of stunning images, Aliraza Khatri captures the elegance and beauty of Karachi that is rarely appreciated. With his unique eye, he captures the city in a serene yet powerful light, finding beauty in even the most average of settings.

PNSC Building at night. Shot taken from Beach luxury Hotel.  - Photo by Aliraza Khatri
PNSC Building at night. Shot taken from Beach luxury Hotel. - Photo by Aliraza Khatri
A view of Independence evening from UBL tower I I Chundrigar Road. - Photo by Aliraza Khatri
Karachi Municipal Corporation Building situated at M.A Jinnah Road and a sight of Downtown Karachi. - Photo by Aliraza Khatri
Karachi Port sight which is considered as a commercial hub of Pakistan. - Photo by Aliraza Khatri
After the death of approx 35 people on the first day of Eid, Sea view was closed for public. This is a view of  the empty beach after the closure. – Photo by Aliraza Khatri
After the death of approx 35 people on the first day of Eid, Sea view was closed for public. This is a view of the empty beach after the closure. – Photo by Aliraza Khatri
Dolmen City Mall and the empty beach - Sea view Karachi. - Photo by Aliraza Khatri
Port Sight Karachi. - Photo by Aliraza Khatri
Port Sight Karachi. - Photo by Aliraza Khatri

Your Name:

Recipient Email:

Daanish Aug 20, 2014 07:34pm

Love it !!!

Syed Azam Aug 20, 2014 07:57pm

Simply breathtaking...

Masood Aug 20, 2014 08:17pm

Very beautiful My Karachi, I love you Karachi. You are in my heart.

Tughril sabir Aug 20, 2014 08:29pm

Wonderfull. More should follow.

Elyas Aug 20, 2014 08:29pm

My beautiful city, even with all the turmoil, still looks great. Just imagine if there was peace here, it will be the greatest city in the world. Kudos to the photographer.

Asgher Ali Aug 20, 2014 08:58pm

I left Karachi 50 years ago, but I can still smell the sweet odor of early morning Karachi soil. Long live my Dear Karachi.

Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi Aug 20, 2014 08:58pm

I lived in Karachi at Martin Quarters from 1947 to 1967. Among my neighbors were Actor Mohammed Ali, Music Director Khalil Ahmed whose younger brother Kafil Ahmed was a friend, Qazi Vajid & singer Ahmed Rushdi. I went to BYJ high school where Anwer Maqsood was a classmate. The Karachi then was true to it's name, "the Jewel of the British Empire". The streets used to get washed every night. We used to travel by tramways, horse buggies & tangas before the traffic got too heavy to have them around.. Karachi kind of ended at Laloo Khet. The new Karachi University was so far away.The drama by Moinuddin, "Lal Qile Se Lalookhet " was a hit. I used to work part time at Radio Pakistan Karachi with producers Farooq Jehan Teymori & Agha Nasir. Studio #9 produced by Agha Nasir was a hit. We were so proud when UBL Building got completed & was open for public. It had a different name at that time. Until then Laximi Building was the tallest. The song, " Bunder Road Se Kemari. Meri Chali Re Ghora Gari. Baboo Ho Jana Footpath Par." was a hit. Noor Jehan's songs from Duppatta were hit. Mehdi Hasan sang his 1st big hit, "Guloon Me Rang Bhare Bade-No Bahar Chale" & Sohail Rana had his big hits, "Ko Ko Korina" & ," Akaile Na Jana". Watching Hanif Mohammed practice was a favorite past time. Now I live in California but miss my Martin Quarters very much. I cry pretty often!

Ayoub Alam Aug 20, 2014 09:08pm

You touched a raw nerve Dr. Sahib. I came to Karachi as a 17 year old. Had my professional accounting qualification completed from ICMAP. Got married and had kids. Then we moved to Canada in 2003. I still miss the people and food of Karachi.

MSD Aug 20, 2014 09:21pm

Very nice.

Shah Aug 20, 2014 09:26pm

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi - Best Comment ever!!!!

Lalan Aug 20, 2014 09:54pm

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi "I wish there was a way to know you're in the good old days before you've actually left them"

Imran Aug 20, 2014 10:06pm

Thank you Mr.Khatri for such stunning views of our beloved city.

Anjum Arshi Aug 20, 2014 10:59pm

Very beautiful. Great photography. I came back to Karachi last year and never regretted my decision. Bundar Road sey Kiamari is still fun! And these days there is soooo much more fun in Karachi! Cinemas, museums, recreation parks, malls, restaurants of a million types, of course the beaches and cruises.... If only there wasn't so much traffic...

For more (amateur) pics of Karachi, check this out http://defence.pk/threads/pictures-from-cities-karachi.3713/

Nasr Aug 21, 2014 12:11am

Oh My Karachi! Oh My Own City! Living abroad watching these beautiful photos, I loath for you. May you always be lively, glittery and Prosperous. I can see Neti Jeti, I can see Tower, Kharadar, Khada Market, PNSC Building and can still dream walking around these areas in my lunch time. May Allah protect you and save you from all the ills that we have seen, heard, and felt thousands of miles from you here in US

Afzal Hussain Aug 21, 2014 12:19am

Beautiful pictured.

Moiz Omar Aug 21, 2014 12:59am

I love my city. Proud Karachiite.

A shahid Aug 21, 2014 01:14am

Absolutely awesome... have pleasant memories with each of these locations...

Zubair Aug 21, 2014 01:21am

This is what I fell in love thirty or more years ago. Wish for eternal peace and prosperity.

Ali S Aug 21, 2014 02:39am

@Asgher Ali It seems like everyone who misses Karachi now lives abroad. Typical Pakistani behavior.

javed qamer Aug 21, 2014 02:50am

Thank you for sharing these pictures of Karachi. I wish there was a way to have cameras installed at different intersections of Karachi and beam the video to America etc Dr. Siddiqi wrote a great piece on his experience in Karachi. Yes Karachi was something else in those days. Streets washed every night.. People going to Clifton in the evening. Eating Paan at PiDC. Watching movies at Rex, Palace, Bambino, Capri. Those were the days.

Irfan Aug 21, 2014 07:24am

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi I grew up not too far from the Martin Quarters (PIB Colony to be exact). Had my SCC exam center at BYJ. In one second, I went back 25 years by reading your post. Now, I reside in a suburb of Chicago but my heart still aches for my Karachi. May the lights return to city of lights. My Karachi!

czar Aug 21, 2014 07:39am

@Ali S Not sure what do you mean by "typical Pakistani behavior". Every expat miss their hometown whether Pakistani or indian or any national for that matter. If you have not left your hometown then why would you be missing it?

Think before you post.

Tahir Amjad Aug 21, 2014 09:16am

Thank u Ali raza. ..u took me back to karachi.. Love it.

Zahid Aug 21, 2014 09:20am

On of the top city in the world. And truly a Capitol of Pakistan .

Syed Azam Aug 21, 2014 09:29am

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi

Dear Mr. Farhat. You are not alone, most of Karachites miss Karachi. While we all shed tear in private, you are brave enough to confess.

May Allah protect our country and this great city.

Syed Azam

Zahid Aug 21, 2014 09:31am

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi thank you for sharing such a Beautiful memory for our good old Karachi I have never miss Karachi so much before .

Mir Taqi Aug 21, 2014 09:33am

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi Thanks for sharing your story. I was born in the 80s, didn't witness Karachi of the era you mention. But it's always good to hear from people like about the glory days of Karachi and Pakistan. Regards.

Tahir Amjad Aug 21, 2014 09:36am

Mr khatri u brought me sadness and happiness together, smile and tears by remembering my days I spent in karachi. I came there sometime around 1968 or1969.studied in different schools.matriculated from KMA. GOVT BOYS HIGH SCHOOL KHARADAR. Higher secondary from Govt degree Sc.College Layari. Joined Tai's karate centre.Japan cultural centre.........and memory keeps on unfolding. Watched dozens of movies in almost every cinema on B under road, Sadar, and surroundings. Thank u for helping me revisit karachi.....though in imagination. love karachi. '

HS Aug 21, 2014 09:48am

love the pictures, you captured the true essence of my city :)

Sohraab Aug 21, 2014 09:56am

My Beautiful Karachi...I miss u so much!

Wajahat Hussain Aug 21, 2014 10:06am

Excellent work! My compliments to who ever took those snaps.

Ayaz Aug 21, 2014 10:21am

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi Sigh, sigh! this is exactly how my Taya says it was.... he cries often too may be, but alone. his eyes get watery when he is telling the stories. More then narrating them to me, I can see he is enjoying them himself more. Like a small child who is bewildered and amazed in a fairy land!

Khan Baba Aug 21, 2014 10:25am

But the reality bites

iMRAN rASHEED Aug 21, 2014 11:37am

WELL DONE i never been to karachi, but i have a strong will to visit any time.

Shahryar Shirazi Aug 21, 2014 12:31pm

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi Sir where in california do you live ?

Zafar Iqbal Aug 21, 2014 12:33pm

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi ,If you miss karachi then you can visit here time to time ,but now Karachi is not that as you mentioned in your post.Now Karachi is dominated by illiterate and uncivilized people,heavy traffic unbearable noise pollution load shedding water scarcity and shadow of fear around us.I want to leave karachi forever will you please help me ?

zafar aslam Aug 21, 2014 01:10pm

Ahh, those sweet memories of Karachi and going to my college, Sind Muslim Science College! I am eternally in love with my city and no amount of distance or time will lessen my love. Long live Karachi and my Pakistan!

Alam Aug 21, 2014 02:40pm

My heart and soul, love you PAK!

Iqbal Aug 21, 2014 03:14pm

Once you fall in love with Karachi, you never fall out of love with this city. The love is eternal.

Ali Aug 21, 2014 03:24pm

Great Karachi!!!!!!!!

With Love,

From Lahore :)

Dr.Sumeya Khan Asif Aug 21, 2014 03:34pm

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi .loads of respect for u n for those who love unconditionally...assalam u alaikum

Taz Aug 21, 2014 03:51pm

Home. In my heart always, no matter where I am. It has been stolen from me.

AHA Aug 21, 2014 05:42pm

Simply beautiful. Sweet memories.

A. Mirza Aug 21, 2014 06:49pm

People tell me you are so lucky you live in the US and all I can say is the price you pay is immense! I wish these corrupt political feudals would have spared my city I would have never moved. I really miss the sense of belonging....my father's grave...my streets...I miss you Karachi. Stay strong!

A. Mirza Aug 21, 2014 06:53pm

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi - Dr. Sahib, I live in Chicago and a bit younger (in my 30s) but would love to sit down with you and listen to your stories over a cup of tea! Stay blessed and stay healthy.

zameer Aug 21, 2014 07:07pm

Mind blowing

imran Aug 21, 2014 07:38pm

i am from Karachi, was born there. If you think these pictures are pretty you are sick and retarded. Karachi is rated as the ugliest and polluted city in the world. All the filthy sewer water is pumped in to the ocean. These pics were taken at night and do not show the extreme filth of this city.

Mr.T Aug 22, 2014 12:21am

this is the only place which can beat nyc...

Sabiha Aug 22, 2014 12:32am

O my God, these are such peaceful pictures...just love them! Love you and miss you Karachi, may you always be a bustling city...

Nasr Aug 22, 2014 01:51am

I am 52 came to Karachi after East Pakistan Fell. Now in US, I used to live near Cheel Wali Kothi in PECHS Karachi. Went to Corks Private located again in Cheel Wali Kothi. In those days PECHS and the surrounding areas From New Town Masjid to Bahadurabad to Hill Park to Sindhi Muslim all were prime living areas. Tariq Road Shopping was from Shaheed-e-Millat to Chawala center only. Unitl upto the late 70's PECHS was a gem of a place to live. It was the Defence or the Beverly Hill as we call here in Los Angeles. I am proud that living in PECHS I came across a so many of the very well known Pakistanis . TV & Film artists Waheed Murad, Shabnam, On main Tariq road near Rabi Center Shakeel (Uncle Urfi) behind Jheel park Sohail Rana where now is Paramount Book Store, Singer Alamgir, Zheer Abbas adjacent street to Dupatta Gali, Hockey Stars, Artist Jameel Naqsh and you keep on naming. PECHS was meant for 2000 people per square mile. Can you now just imagine how many people are there. On my last visit in 2008 I got a shudder of seeing the rapid transformation and seeing how populated these areas have become.The worst was Khalid Bin Waleed road fully devoid of the Lush Green Neem Trees. But I still love my city, My Country and Pray that May Peace & Prosperity come to it soon.

bin e ashfaque Aug 22, 2014 01:59am

Karachi was such a great place I landed in it on May 1971 worked hard and studied to become an engineer. Sadly the city has been taken over by mafias both in uniform and without. Karachi needs a messiah. May Allah have mercy over my Karachi.

Mohammad Aug 22, 2014 03:13am

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi May Allah bless you with an extended life, in order to see Karachi again - in a new glorious state, Inshallah!

Pakistani Aug 22, 2014 03:52am

The best city of Pakistan.

s turk Aug 22, 2014 05:33am

wow beautiful n amazing

Sare Jahan Se Achha Aug 22, 2014 06:02am

Wonderfully captured in the frame... I wonder if I will ever get to visit this part of the world (considering the instability that grips the country)! We wish Pakistan may prosper as a country free from terrorism, radicalism and communalism... Best regards from the largest democracy!

Tehsin Khan Aug 22, 2014 06:32am

We need the Lights back in our city.

salim Aug 22, 2014 07:19am

@A. Mirza Couldn't agree more born in Karachi graduated from Med school in 1987. Still when my plane lands I feel like my mother has wrapped me in her arms. We pay a heavy price by living abroad

GA Aug 22, 2014 08:26am

For Godsake the city is a real dump now. It's ugly and extremely violent where no one is safe from robberies, muggings and murder. Yes. It was a beautiful place a long time ago.

RHS Aug 22, 2014 09:26am

Thank you very much for sharing these pictures with us. My hope is that one day my old "City of Lights" will recover its former glory. There are many occasions when I look back at the days of my youth and my old city. California is home now but Karachi especially and Pakistan are never forgotten. My respects to Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi for sharing her sentiments. And Imran (poster here) it may just be a dirty place for you but sometime in life even the dirt of home is missed more than you might think possible.

Kausar karim Aug 22, 2014 09:33am

Being a Banglorean all my life ... Married to a person from Karachi ( originally from Chennai India) settled in USA..I have loved Bangalore to death because it's one awesome place to live... But as I have spent 2 yrs of my life in Karachi ... 1992/94 .. I loved this city too.. I have some memorable memories of Karachi.. Log yah an bhi wohi wah an bhi wahi.. Sirf sahard sey taqseem ho Gaya hai hai hum.. Log dono mulk kya aache hai.. Lekin Dillon mein nafrat kya beench bow Diya Gaye hai... Love u Karachi .. Miss ur food ur shopping and of course ur wagons, coaches , loud noise rickhaws!!! And awesome places to relax..

Raana Faiz Aug 22, 2014 10:22am

Beautiful, may God Almighty bless Karachi and Pakistan Ameen

Zeeshan Aug 22, 2014 10:58am

Karachi.....the life is simply uncomparable with any other city in the world...

Raana Faiz Aug 22, 2014 11:24am

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi I thought u moved back to Pakistan

Umair Aug 22, 2014 12:02pm

Nice work! Update it with more pictures please.

hamid shafiq Aug 22, 2014 12:17pm

very beautiful and loving, long life my Karachi we need only one thing peace and peace.

deendayal lulla Aug 22, 2014 01:04pm

Enchanting ;pictures,especially of Karachi port.

Tilikum Aug 22, 2014 04:20pm

"Karachi's Beauty" I could never believe these two words can come together and from the pictures I can see they don't deserve to be together. These pictures are NOT stunning. My visit to Karachi proved that it is in a league of its own when it comes to being an awful city, other contenders are: Rawalpindi and Peshawar. I am sure places like Faisalabad, Multan and Sailkot could be possibly worse...

Javed Aug 22, 2014 05:32pm

I miss my city.may Allah bring peace and good old days.

Raja Aug 22, 2014 05:52pm

Beautiful... Thanks

GM Aug 22, 2014 06:27pm

My beautiful country !!!! Hat offs to the photographer for this wonderful job. You really showed bright side of the Pakistan.

Talat Haque Aug 22, 2014 07:20pm

So vibrant !

narayan Aug 22, 2014 08:45pm

loved it my x city

Jaffar Aug 22, 2014 08:50pm

The pictures may be creating nostalgia in some but actually there is nothing stunning in them. Most ordinary pictures of a third world city.,

narayan Aug 22, 2014 08:51pm

miss u sindh

yasmin haqqi Aug 22, 2014 09:26pm

These enchanting photos were like a breadth of fresh air . It is very rare that we see anything positive about this beloved city. Thank you for sharing these beautiful photos that remind us of it's resilience and strength no matter how tough things may be. Looking forward to more such rare and beautiful moments in the life of this great city...

Syed Aug 23, 2014 12:48am

i am from Lahore but I used to enjoy my visits there. I hope sanity and peace returns there soon.

Nikhil Aug 23, 2014 02:33am

Looks beautiful. What's the local language of Karachi? Or in other words is there a local language there?

AR Aug 23, 2014 07:37am

@Nikhil , Urdu is the common language spoken in Karachi.

AR Aug 23, 2014 07:39am

@narayan You are welcomed to come to Karachi as a guest. Karachiites will be more than happy to be your hosts.

Dr. S. Khan Aug 23, 2014 09:50am

Simply marvelous! Indeed, Karachi the beautiful is a mini Pakistan!

I lived in Karachi from 1952 to 1972. Karachi used to be a place of peace and harmony where people cared for each other. People did not look at each other through the lens of ethnicity. Elders took care of young one and provided them an invisible training about being a human being. Unfortunately all those elders, the nucleus of a society are long gone, and the new elders are selfish and visionlessc, and not doing a good job of training the young generation.

Many governments have come and gone, but they did not pay any attention to developing an infrastructure for a growing mega city. In the meantime Karachi got hijacked by a gang who promised roses and yet delivered nothing. People of Karachi are great people and they are still suffering! The federal government should play a pivotal role in running Karachi and making the city free from various mafias and gangs.

Parveen Shakir in her beautiful poetry has very eloquently illustrated the dilemma of Karachi.

ahmed naeem Aug 23, 2014 10:52am

i live in laloo khet now the new name is liaquatabad ...

Murtaza kalair Aug 23, 2014 11:21am

Nice city with nice photography.

Murtaza kalair Aug 23, 2014 11:39am

Nice...

Nasser Aug 23, 2014 06:38pm

Thank you for reminding that Karachi is still beautiful. It used to be such a cultured city until the mid 70's but with Zia came the destruction of Karachi as drugs, violence, and uncultured behavious from outsiders took over.

Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi Aug 23, 2014 11:25pm

@Dr. S. Khan So you & I were both in Karachi between 1952 to 1967. That was the golden era of a great classy culture. Radio Pakistan Karachi had great dramas called Studio #9. Main Se Gharz-e-Nishat with S.M. Salim, & Rustum wo Sohrab with Abdul Majid were great hits. Agha Nasir who later became Chairman of Pakistan TV was the most popular producer. Hanif Mohammed was one of the best batsmen & Fazal Mahmood was among the best bowlers in the world. Maqsood Ahmed who was called Marry Max in England was a big hitter. One time he got out at 99. Two listeners of the commentary on radio died from heart attack. There is so much to remember.

anam Aug 24, 2014 12:31am

wow this is my karachi my homeland :) long live pakistan

asif Aug 24, 2014 02:15am

Not stunning, everything looks good at night with bright lights, you can't see the filth.

petrolhead Aug 25, 2014 03:51am

@Dr. Farhat H. Siddiqi

Am very junior to you Sir. Left Karachi comparatively recently (almost a decade ago) and my memories include violence, strikes, etc. However you've still made me feel nostalgic.

Zahida Kazi Aug 25, 2014 05:53am

My elder brother 15,then my other brother 13 and me at the age of 12 would go regularly to Naz and Nishat cinema houses on Bunder Road with no adult to supervise us.The mode of transport would be bus/ Victoria/Tongas.This was Karachi in the 1950s. I would walk to my school St Lawrence's High School off Britto Road. Our special treat was ice cream at Kwality Restaurant. Many fond memories from the 1950s to 1960s and 70s...thank you for sharing these pictures...

Abdul Majeed Sheikh Aug 25, 2014 11:18am

Nostalgia! I am born in Karachi in 1950 and remember those good old of Karachi, It was much peaceful and tolerant I used to have Jew friends, we remember the Synagogue (Masjid Bani Israel) at Lawrence Road-Jubilee Road intersection. Many old memories to share like my expat Karachiites, Karachi now needs Mass Transit, peace and harmony not MQM, ANP, Sunni Tahreek, Mohajir qaumi Movement, Peoples Aman Committee to name a few. City of Mushtaq Yousfi, Zohra Nigha, Waheed Murad, Sabri Brothers, A K Sumar and Zafar Anasari people with divergent but views but common goal peace and love fore all

awais Aug 25, 2014 11:19am

Karachi, simply beautiful

Taeseer Aug 25, 2014 05:54pm

I really like these pictures. Dawn and "Aliraza Khatri" showed us positive picture of Karachi. This is a positve step towards showing our soft image worldwide.

Rohit Aug 25, 2014 09:30pm

Looks wonderful. Would love to visit it some time.

Tab Aug 25, 2014 11:05pm

Very beautiful pictures. My country you are in my prayers. Long live PAKISTAN. Ameen.

Sikander Khani Aug 26, 2014 12:53am

@Nasr I also used live in the PECHS back in the 70's and went to Corks Private School (Cheel wali Kothi) for elementary and then to National College. My hangouts places were Rehan corner and Jeno corner. What a time of life i had in Karachi! I dont see the similarity in the next Paki generation (including my kids) who are born and being raised here in the US. Now I live in Chicago but theres no comparision as far as calling it home.

nasir Aug 26, 2014 01:13am

view from a very high avenue. Ask the people who are taking all the chances and risk 'living' in Karachi. Yes, I am a Karachiate...

ruki Aug 26, 2014 02:02am

I have been in Australia from last five years but I still miss Karachi so much so that it brings tears to my eyes I wish I could go back and live in my city again. I love Pakistan long live Pakistan.

Pervez Aug 26, 2014 08:31am

AS a commentator suggested, you realize the beauty ogf Karachi after you leave it. May Allah protect this lively city and it's citizens.

Ahsan Aug 26, 2014 08:43am

Beautiful karachi

H Aug 26, 2014 09:22pm

I left Karachi in 1995 when I was a teenager , the saddest day of my life as i was leaving behind my family and friends more so I knew as I was from a humble family I had to make something out of my self in the West as I didn't have a family business to fall back on.. I visit Karachi every year sometimes twice in one year and always want to stay back and not leave and take the plunge and move back but the question always remains what I will do or where would I start ! I have just spent a month there and had no intentions of coming back to my life here in London! Pakistan is an amazing country it has a lot to offer and its people are probably the most enterprising as proven by millions of them making an amazing life for themselves abroad , if given a chance in their own country you can imagine where we would be today ! its a shame that Pakistan has always had corrupt leaders who only have their interest at heart ! I have read all the comments and would like to add all expats have regrets of leaving Pakistan but we have no choice and for my self I think I will probably always be in the dilemma if I should move back or not ! as I fear for my family's security but also yearn for the sense of belonging and not to be always considered as a 2nd class citizen in a country where i have now spent over 20 years ( and I was born in UK ) , I pray everyday to Allah to help me come across an opportunity which will allow me to live half of the year in Pakistan ! Insha'Allah one day my prayers will be answered.