Sindh govt to block WhatsApp, Viber & other services for 3 months

Published October 3, 2013
Provincial Interior Minister said the networks would be initially blocked for three months.—File Photo
Provincial Interior Minister said the networks would be initially blocked for three months.—File Photo
Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah presiding over a meeting to review law and order situation in Province at CM House.   — Photo by APP
Sindh Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah presiding over a meeting to review law and order situation in Province at CM House. — Photo by APP

KARACHI: In an effort to cripple the capability of terrorists to easily plan and coordinate criminal activities, the Sindh provincial government has decided to block access to popular internet telephony services and Voice Over Internet Protocol (VoIP) applications, which they say militants use for communication.

The services affected by the three-month suspension may include Skype, WhatsApp, and Viber, among others.

“Criminal elements and terrorists have smartly switched to these networks. Previously, they communicated through their cellular phones. Now they have switched to networks to which we do not have access,” Information Minister Sharjeel Memon told reports at a news conference.

“For this (access) we have written to the federal government to coordinate with these companies to grant us access to them. Until then, we unfortunately have to announce to all citizens of Sindh that these services will be inaccessible all over the province for the next three months,” said the provincial minister.

Provincial Information Minister Sharjeel Memon told journalists that the decision had been taken at a meeting of the law and order committee which was held at the CM House on Thursday and presided over by Chief Minister Syed Qaim Ali Shah.

Attended by inspector general of Sindh police, director general of Rangers, chiefs of intelligence agencies and senior officials, the meeting reviewed progress of the ongoing operation against criminal elements in Karachi. It decided to expand its scope to Hyderabad and other cities of Sindh from Friday.

Memon did not spell out how closing down the networks would improve security. But security services say instant messaging and internet telephony are used by militants and other armed groups to plan attacks.

It was also not clear even if or how the ban could be practically enforced.

Social media was abuzz on Thursday with the criticism of the decision with several citizens on Facebook and Twitter protesting the ban.

Bilawal-Bhutto Zardari, the chairman of the ruling Pakistan People’s Party (PPP) in Sindh, also took to Twitter to defend the provincial government’s decision.

“I’d rather lose an app than another life,” he said in a tweet. “We can intercept cell phones and SMS but not Whatsapp, Viber, etc... Temporary ban not permanent.”

Meanwhile reacting on the development, Interior Minister Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan has said that he was personally not in favour of such a ban.

“I am not personally in favour of such a ban…… a final decision will be taken after receiving the Sindh government’s proposal.”

Hailing his decision of breaking his predecessor Rehman Malik’s tradition of suspending mobile phone services, the interior minister said he was not in favour of troubling the masses pointlessly.

“Soon after taking charge of the interior ministry I have stopped the tradition of blocking mobile networks on certain occasions,” he said, adding that “such steps have never been fruitful”.

Pakistan has taken to clamping down on internet freedoms of late. In September 2012, the Pakistani government blocked YouTube after an anti-Islamic video was posted online.

Since then, Pakistan has blocked liberal websites although has left militant sites untouched. According to a study released Thursday by watchdog Freedom House, Pakistan ranks among the 10 worst countries in terms of freedoms on the internet and social media.

Islamabad recently signed a contract with Canadian company Netsweeper, according to Canadian research group CitizenLab, after advertising for a firm that would allow it to block 50 million websites at a time.

Opinion

Good examples

Good examples

It is not impossible for female (or male) leaders to fulfil promises if they have the will and drive to do so.

Editorial

Democracy damaged
Updated 28 Feb, 2024

Democracy damaged

The reserved seats controversy could have been avoided had the ECP by now decided whether SIC deserves them or not.
Misplaced priorities
28 Feb, 2024

Misplaced priorities

THE federal government’s filing of a petition with the Supreme Court on Monday, seeking to overturn an Islamabad...
Killing jirgas
28 Feb, 2024

Killing jirgas

ANOTHER day and another chilling story unfolds in Kohistan. The jirga institution, declared illegal by the top ...
New funds
27 Feb, 2024

New funds

PAKISTAN plans to seek a new loan of $6bn from the IMF under its Extended Fund Facility for a period of three years,...
Missing link
27 Feb, 2024

Missing link

WITH most of Punjab and KP now accessible via motorways, which have greatly eased road travel for the bulk of the...
Tragedy averted
Updated 27 Feb, 2024

Tragedy averted

Pakistan must shed the layers of intolerance that have been allowed to permeate society.