QUETTA, May 21: A former advocate general of Balochistan, Salahuddin Mengal, returned home late on Tuesday night after remaining in the captivity of kidnappers for over two months, family sources said.

They said the kidnappers left Mr Mengal at Kachi Baig area of Sariab road.

The sources said the family had denied paying ransom for the release. The kidnappers had earlier demanded Rs50 million for the release and the figure had later been reduced to Rs30m, they added.

Mr Mengal, who had served as advocate general of Balochistan for about 10 years, was kidnapped on April 3 from Sariab road when he was going home with his brother.

At a press conference on Monday, DIG operations Fayyaz Ahmed Sumbal had indicated that some people involved in the kidnapping of the former advocate general had been arrested and that he would be released soon.

Opinion

Editorial

Taking stock
Updated 14 Aug, 2022

Taking stock

There are numerous reasons behind our predicament, and many of our wounds are self-inflicted.
Medicine in short supply
14 Aug, 2022

Medicine in short supply

THAT rising import prices of pharmaceutical raw materials and increasing production costs of manufacturers have...
Police excesses
Updated 13 Aug, 2022

Police excesses

Crass thuggery and victimisation of ordinary citizens are unlikely to earn govt plaudits from any quarter.
Afghan cleric’s killing
13 Aug, 2022

Afghan cleric’s killing

THAT a suicide bomber belonging to the self-styled Islamic State group managed to target a senior Taliban cleric in...
No room for hockey
13 Aug, 2022

No room for hockey

THERE have been accusations and clarifications as the blame game rumbles on. Yet despite workers of the PTI ...
Militancy redux
Updated 12 Aug, 2022

Militancy redux

There is fear and confusion all around, and it is for the state to bring clarity to the situation.