LAHORE: The Lahore High Court on Monday issued contempt of court notices to three police officials over the issue of filming and uploading on social media the videos of detainees in a raid on a party at a farmhouse in Kasur a couple of days back.

Justice Ali Zia Bajwa was hearing a contempt petition filed by Vishal Shakir, a lawyer.

In compliance with the court order, Kasur District Police Officer (DPO) Essa Khan Sukhera appeared before the court.

The judge regretted that people were being forcibly shaved and their videos were being posted on social media.

“Under which law have the police been doing this?” the judge asked the DPO.

Justice Bajwa further noted that clips from Indian songs were added to the videos uploaded on the official social media accounts of the police.

The DPO informed the court that the investigating officer and another police official, who filmed the video, had been dismissed from service and suspended, respectively.

He said a recommendation had also been made to dismiss the SHO concerned from service for his collusion with the farmhouse owner.

He stated that cases had been registered under the electronic crime law against dozens of people who saved the video and circulated it.

Upon the court’s inquiry, the DPO said that Muhammad Shahzad, the owner of the farmhouse, had fled the scene.

At this, the judge observed that the one who shouldn’t have escaped had escaped.

The judge directed that the advocate general of Punjab must also appear on the next hearing and explain whether any law exists in the world that allows exposing a person in custody.

Justice Bajwa issued contempt of court notices to the investigating officer, SHO and a constable of Mustafabad police station of Kasur.

The judge observed, “Why shouldn’t the police officials be jailed for six months for violating court orders?”

The judge also summoned the DIG operations Lahore for Tuesday (today).

Talking to the media persons, DPO Sukhera said it will not be tolerated under any circumstances if someone’s dignity is compromised.

He said no one can undo the damage caused to those whose videos went viral on social media. He said action had been taken against those who recorded the videos.

The DPO said such incidents can be prevented through timely action.

Published in Dawn, April 15th, 2025

Editorial

17 Aug, 2026

Work in progress

THE State Bank governor’s optimistic assessment of the economy must be seen in the context of the reality hidden...
17 Aug, 2026

Unfit supplies

A SYRINGE in a public hospital should be among the simplest guarantees of safety. Yet Sindh’s Public Accounts...
17 Aug, 2026

Israel’s war on life

A FINANCIAL Times investigation into southern Lebanon shows how Israel’s brutal military campaign has torn ...
Updated 16 Aug, 2026

Balochistan’s wounds

The state has alienated even those political elements in Baloch society that have been peacefully pursuing their rights.
16 Aug, 2026

Tax scheme

THE Hyderabad SITE Association of Trade and Industry has formally endorsed new measures introduced to ease...
16 Aug, 2026

In choppy waters

MORE than three months after Somali pirates captured an oil tanker carrying a multinational crew, including 11...