'Big, bold and important first step': Trump welcomes defence pact between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye

Published Updated
0
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif pose after signing a joint defence agreement in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, on Aug 7, 2026. — Saudi Press Agency via Reuters/File
Turkish President Tayyip Erdogan, Saudi Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif pose after signing a joint defence agreement in Makkah, Saudi Arabia, on Aug 7, 2026. — Saudi Press Agency via Reuters/File

United States President Donald Trump said on Sunday he was pleased by the recent signing of a defence pact between Pakistan, Saudi Arabia and Turkiye.

“Very happy to see that Saudi Arabia, Turkiye, and Pakistan have recently, and finally, signed the Makkah Joint Defence Agreement,” he wrote on his Truth Social platform.

“It shows how the Middle East is coming together, and how Countries will finally be able to defend themselves in a more meaningful way,” he wrote, calling it a “BIG, BOLD, IMPORTANT FIRST STEP”.

The three-way agreement, signed on August 7, comes amid a US-Iran war that has extended violence to the region, including Houthi rebel attacks.

The joint defence agreement aims to strengthen collective deterrence and empowers its signatory states to treat an attack against one of them as an attack against all of them.

Turkiye’s defence ministry said last week that Pakistan, Turkiye and Saudi Arabia will form political and military mechanisms under the pact, adding the alliance would also deepen defence industry cooperation.

Both Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif and Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar have said the pact is defensive in nature, with the latter saying that it is also “open to any country in the region” willing to uphold its fundamental principles.

Shortly after the agreement was signed, Turkish Foreign Minister Hakan Fidan said Turkiye expected Egypt to join the pact “in the next stage”, telling the Anadolu state news agency only “a few technical issues” stood in the way. However, Egypt has not commented on the agreement nor on the remarks by Fidan.

Later, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan also said he hoped more countries would join the defence agreement.

“Our vision for it is not limited to the three countries,” the Turkish leader told the London-based Asharq Al-Awsat daily.

“Rather we aspire for it to grow, and perhaps appropriate conditions will emerge one day for all countries of the region to gather under its umbrella,” he added.

Meanwhile, Kuwait, Bahrain and Somalia are among the countries that have welcomed it. Iran’s comments also took a rather positive tone, stressing its stance of pursuing “security mechanisms based on cooperation between regional countries”.

Opinion

Editorial

Work in progress
Updated 17 Aug, 2026

Work in progress

THE State Bank governor’s optimistic assessment of the economy must be seen in the context of the reality hidden...
Unfit supplies
17 Aug, 2026

Unfit supplies

A SYRINGE in a public hospital should be among the simplest guarantees of safety. Yet Sindh’s Public Accounts...
Israel’s war on life
17 Aug, 2026

Israel’s war on life

A FINANCIAL Times investigation into southern Lebanon shows how Israel’s brutal military campaign has torn ...
Balochistan’s wounds
Updated 16 Aug, 2026

Balochistan’s wounds

The state has alienated even those political elements in Baloch society that have been peacefully pursuing their rights.
Tax scheme
16 Aug, 2026

Tax scheme

THE Hyderabad SITE Association of Trade and Industry has formally endorsed new measures introduced to ease...
In choppy waters
16 Aug, 2026

In choppy waters

MORE than three months after Somali pirates captured an oil tanker carrying a multinational crew, including 11...