ISLAMABAD, June 8: The Pakistan Muslim League-N has formulated a 10-point chargesheet for a resolution to impeach President Pervez Musharraf and hopes that its coalition partners will move it if Gen (retd) Musharraf does not resign.
This was announced by PML-N leader Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan at a press conference at the party’s central secretariat here on Sunday.
The chargesheet has the following allegations:
• Gen Pervez Musharraf imposed martial law in the country twice, subverted the Constitution and violated the oath taken by him as army chief. He kept the elected prime minister behind bars in the Attock Fort, detained judges of the superior courts with their family members and imposed dictatorship at gunpoint.
• He planned and undertook the Kargil misadventure, concealing it from the elected government, sacrificing some 800 officers and men of the army in the process.
• He used Pakistan Army as his personal force, tried to corrupt it and gave promotion to his blue-eyed officers. He used the army for different unconstitutional and illegal actions meant to prolong his rule, badly affecting the credibility of the national institution.
• He pushed the army into an undeclared war against its own people without seeking approval from the prime minister, cabinet and parliament, which has so far resulted in the killing of over 1,000 armymen. Suicide bombings in reaction have also claimed lives of a large number of Pakistanis.
• He blackmailed and subjected different people to torture and abuse, using the National Accountability Bureau to form a political party.
• He got Nawab Akbar Bugti killed in cold blood to implement the threat he had earlier hurled on him and congratulated the people involved in the killing after the act.
• Thousands of Baloch political workers were made victims of enforced disappearance, with their family members still unaware of their whereabouts. Various Baloch leaders, including Akhtar Mengal, were implicated in false cases and jailed.
• The Lal Masjid was attacked on the pressure of external powers, resulting in the death of hundreds of innocent boys and girls.
• Over 650 of the people illegally picked up from different parts of the country were handed over to the United States in return for dollars. This he admitted in his book.
• He set new examples of cronyism, nepotism, corruption and favouritism.
During his eight years in power, Gen Musharraf made billions of rupees as his close associates got massive contracts from NHA, OGDC, PIA, besides earning billions of rupees in defence deals.
Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan said these were not mere allegations, but substantial evidence was available which would be presented in parliament during impeachment proceedings.
He opposed the idea of giving a safe exit to Musharraf and said it was a fit case for trial under Article 6 of the Constitution. He said the reconciliation offer by Musharraf at this stage was meaningless as it would be a folly to give more time to an unreliable and controversial person.
He said the PML-N would formally demand formation of a commission on the Kargil episode during the budget session so that those responsible for the misadventure could be brought to book.
He rejected claim by Musharraf that he had not lobbied to become army chief, but did not give details.
However, answering a question, he said he was amongst those who had supported Musharraf at that time. He said the final decision was taken by the then prime minister on the basis of records provided by the Inter Services Intelligence and the Military Intelligence.
“Nobody had recommended him as martial law administrator,” he remarked.