Fire at mobile market in Karachi’s Saddar brought under control

Published February 2, 2026
A fire erupted on Monday evening at Saddar’s mobile market. — DawnNewsTV
A fire erupted on Monday evening at Saddar’s mobile market. — DawnNewsTV
A fire erupted on Monday evening at Saddar’s mobile market. — Screenshot taken from video provided by author
A fire erupted on Monday evening at Saddar’s mobile market. — Screenshot taken from video provided by author

KARACHI: A large fire that erupted on Monday evening at Saddar’s mobile market was brought under control, according to police and rescue officials.

South Deputy Inspector General Syed Asad Raza told Dawn that the fire broke out on the 7th floor parking of the Al Najeeb mobile market at around 07:45pm.

He said the fire had erupted in a parking area located on the 7th floor of a high-rise building. He said that three cars were damaged in the blaze. He said the fire had been controlled while cooling work was ongoing.

Rescue 1122 spokesperson Hassaanul Haseeb Khan told Dawn that two persons were adversely affected due to suffocation, who were rescued and provided first medical aid on the spot.

He said the fire had erupted due to a short circuit failure in an electronic vehicle parked at the scene, which spread and engulfed two other vehicles.

He said four fire tenders and one snorkel managed to control the blaze, however, cooling work was ongoing.

Karachi Mayor Murtaza Wahab said the situation was “under control so far” and Karachi Metropolitan Corporation (KMC) fire tenders and snorkels were present on the ground to tackle the situation.

“People are being evacuated as we speak. Will keep everyone posted,” he said.

He also urged the crowd to “stay back” so that rescue work could be carried out. He also shared a video of a large crowd surrounding a fire truck.

A statement by his office said he had taken immediate notice of the fire and directed the fire brigade to reach the site immediately.

“Ensure the safety of people’s lives and assets at any cost and speed up the rescue operation,” he directed. He also instructed officials to be on standby.

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah, meanwhile, contacted the Karachi mayor, commissioner and the inspector general, according to a statement issued by his office.

“Our first priority is to safely rescue the people stuck inside the building,” he directed. He also directed the police to manage the crowd at the scene so that the rescue operation would run smoothly.

He also directed that water be supplied to the fire brigade through the bowsers in a timely manner.

The incident comes a little over two weeks after a huge fire erupted at Karachi’s Gul Plaza, which claimed the lives of 73 people on January 17.

Opinion

Editorial

Hardening lines
Updated 22 May, 2026

Hardening lines

Iranian suspicions about Pakistan’s close ties with Washington and Gulf states persist, while Pakistan remains uneasy over Tehran’s growing engagement with India.
Unliveable city
22 May, 2026

Unliveable city

IN Karachi, when it comes to water, it is every man and woman for themselves. A persistent shortage in available...
Glof alert
22 May, 2026

Glof alert

FOR many communities in northern Pakistan, the sound of heavy rain now carries a different meaning. It is no longer...
External woes
Updated 21 May, 2026

External woes

Relying indefinitely on remittances to offset structural economic weaknesses is not sustainable.
Political activity
21 May, 2026

Political activity

THE opposition is astir. There is talk of widespread protests this Friday over a list of dissatisfactions with the...
Seizing hope
21 May, 2026

Seizing hope

ISRAEL’S tyranny knows no bounds. After intercepting the Global Sumud Flotilla that set sail last week, disturbing...