Spain church attack suspect was ‘flagged for deportation’

Published January 27, 2023
MUSLIM women hold signs reading “Islam has nothing to do with it” and “We are sad, in shock” near the 
church in Algeciras where a man was stabbed to death on Wednesday.—AFP
MUSLIM women hold signs reading “Islam has nothing to do with it” and “We are sad, in shock” near the church in Algeciras where a man was stabbed to death on Wednesday.—AFP

ALGECIRAS: The man who is alleged to have stormed two Spanish churches with a machete, killing a verger and seriously wounding a priest, was slated for deportation but had no prior convictions, officials said on Thursday.

The bloodshed, which took place on Wednesday evening in the southern port city of Algeciras, shocked Spain and left locals reeling. The alleged attacker was arrested at the scene and police raided his home in the early hours of Thursday as prosecutors pressed ahead with a terror probe.

The suspect, who was identified by a police source as a 25-year-old Moroccan man, had “no prior criminal or terrorism convictions in Spain or allied countries” and was not under surveillance, an interior ministry spokesman said.

“A deportation procedure was opened in June” but “because it was an administrative procedure... the implementation was not immediate,” he said. Local media reports said he lived close to the two churches which are just 300 metres apart.

Although the Audiencia Nacional, Spain’s top criminal court, opened a terror investigation, the government has so far not qualified the nature of the attack.

Speaking in Stockholm where he was meeting his European counterparts, Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska said it was not yet possible to say whether the incident was of a “terrorist nature”. But he confirmed there were “no third parties involved” in remarks transmitted to reporters.

He would travel to Algeciras in the coming days “to follow the investigation on the ground”, his office said.

Published in Dawn, January 27th, 2023

Opinion

Sexual abuse by Israel

Sexual abuse by Israel

Thousands of Palestinian men, women and children are languishing in Israeli prisons in subhuman conditions, with many routinely subjected to sexual abuse.

Editorial

Hormuz gamble
20 May, 2026

Hormuz gamble

The Strait of Hormuz has become the real centre of the confrontation.
The unkindest cut
20 May, 2026

The unkindest cut

SUICIDE, a complex symptom of deep despair triggered by mental health problems, is hardly a moral issue. Punitive...
Ad hoc culture
20 May, 2026

Ad hoc culture

THE Supreme Court’s ruling against prolonged ad hoc and acting appointments is an indictment of a deeply ...
Water win
19 May, 2026

Water win

Besides being a technical and legal win, the ruling validates Pakistan’s argument about the existential stakes involved for it.
Free ride
19 May, 2026

Free ride

THE federal and provincial governments have extended what appear to be major concessions to the retail sector ahead...
Ceasefire in name
19 May, 2026

Ceasefire in name

THE ink on the latest ceasefire extension between Israel and Lebanon was barely dry when Israeli warplanes were back...