QUETTA: Treasury as well as opposition members of the Balochistan Assembly on Thursday evening expressed concern over appointment of candidates from other districts to vacant posts in Quetta district and demanded that such employees be sent back to their respective districts.
During the assembly session presided over by Deputy Speaker Sardar Babar Khan Musakhail, the members urged the provincial government to give priority to the matter as the educated youths of Quetta district were deprived of the vacant posts due to the induction of candidates from other districts.
The matter was first raised in the house by provincial Minister for Science and Technology Mobeen Khilji. Later on, Akhtar Hussain Langove, Mir Hammal Kalmati of BNP-Mengal and Mir Zahoor Ahmed Buledi also took up the issue and said the problem was observed in other districts as well.
Mr Musakhail advised the ministers to take up the matter at a meeting of the provincial cabinet and evolve a policy in this regard.
House informed that after a bomb blast in Lahore several Pashtun and Baloch students residing in hostels were arrested
On a point of order, opposition member Nasrullah Zerey of the Pakhtunkhwa Milli Awami Party informed the house that after a bomb blast in Lahore on January 20 several Pashtun and Baloch students residing in hostels of Punjab and other universities were arrested and detained in police stations.
He asked the adviser to the chief minister on home affairs to take up the matter with the Punjab government.
Mr Zerey also condemned a statement made by Mohajir Qaumi Movement leader Afaq Ahmed against Pashtuns and demanded that he tender an apology over the issue.
He was of the view that the minimum height allowed for a candidate for a vacancy in the Counter Terrorism Department should be reduced from five feet five inches to five feet. The same relaxation should be allowed for recruitment to the FC.
Home Adviser Mir Ziaullah Langove told the house that the provincial government would not compromise on the issue of students. The authorities concerned had been contacted and the students who were detained had been released.
Later, the deputy speaker asked the adviser to contact the Punjab government to ensure the safety of the students belonging to Balochistan.
Published in Dawn, January 28th, 2022