Over 30 injured people brought to Quetta for treatment from Afghanistan

Published July 17, 2021
Paramedics treat men injured during fighting between Afghan forces and Taliban fighters, at a hospital in Chaman on Friday. — AFP
Paramedics treat men injured during fighting between Afghan forces and Taliban fighters, at a hospital in Chaman on Friday. — AFP

QUETTA: The Pak-Afghan border at Chaman remained sealed on Friday, but over 30 injured people were allowed to enter the border town from Afghanistan for medical treatment.

Pakistani border authorities at Chaman said that two bodies and the injured people were allowed to cross into Chaman from Wesh town of Afghanistan.

“Over 30 injured people were brought to Chaman for treatment and immediately taken to the district hospital in the town,” a senior official of Levies Force told Dawn over the phone, adding that after initial treatment they were shifted to private hospitals in Quetta.

He said the two persons whose bodies were also brought to the border town belonged to the Chaman district. The bodies were handed over to the families of the deceased.

Border with Afghanistan remains sealed

The situation in Chaman is normal after the departure of Afghan nationals, including women, children, elderly people and patients, for their homes in Afghanistan. Pakistan had opened its border with Afghanistan on Thursday for three hours to allow Afghans and Pakistanis who had been stranded on both sides of the border.

Meanwhile Balochistan Home Minister Mir Ziaullah Langove has said that Pakistani security forces have been put on alert and more troops deployed at Chaman border after Taliban took control of Spin Boldak and Wesh areas of Afghanistan.

“We are ready to deal with any situation,” he said while talking to the media.

He said that changes were taking place in Afghanistan and it was their internal affair.

However, he hoped that now “India’s resources will not be used against Pakistan (from Afghanistan) like in the past”.

“We pray that the changes prove pleasant for Afghanistan as well as Pakistan,” Mr Langove said.

Referring to talks with angry Baloch leaders, he said Prime Minister Imran Khan had assigned the task of paving way for dialogue to his special assistant on reconciliation and harmony Nawabzada Shahzain Bugti.

Responding to a question, he said that no meeting or consultation had been held with Shahzain Bugti at the provincial level yet. However, the provincial government would provide support to Shahzain Bugti in this regard.

Published in Dawn, July 17th, 2021

Opinion

Lull before the storm
Updated 24 Oct 2021

Lull before the storm

It does not take rocket science to figure out why each of the two sides is taking the stand it is.
The larger debate
Updated 23 Oct 2021

The larger debate

The revelations show how the economy promotes inequality.

Editorial

Anti-government rallies
Updated 24 Oct 2021

Anti-government rallies

Banning a party because it can create a public nuisance sets a dangerous precedent which can be repeated to justify future bans.
24 Oct 2021

End of polio?

AFTER a long struggle, the reward is finally in sight. With only a single case of wild poliovirus reported this year...
24 Oct 2021

Heritage work

IT is encouraging that, slowly, projects of heritage conservation and preservation appear to be taking off. These...
A final push
Updated 23 Oct 2021

A final push

PAKISTAN’S hopes of exiting the so-called FATF grey list have been shattered once again. The global money...
23 Oct 2021

Kabul visit

FOREIGN MINISTER Shah Mahmood Qureshi’s flying visit to Kabul on Thursday is the first official high-level...
23 Oct 2021

Baqir’s blooper

THE remarks made by State Bank governor Reza Baqir at a London press conference have hit a raw nerve in Pakistan. In...