MQM-P rejects govt committee probing fake domiciles, says matter is sub judice

Updated Jun 02 2020

Email

MQM-P leaders speak at the press conference on Monday.
MQM-P leaders speak at the press conference on Monday.

KARACHI: The Muttahida Qaumi Movement-Pakistan on Monday rejected a Sindh government committee formed to look into the complaints of issuance of domiciles to non-residents of some districts, terming it contempt of court since the matter had been pending before the Sindh High Court.

The party also demanded strict action against all government officials involved in issuance of fake domiciles and asked the chief justice of Pakistan to take notice of “corrupt practices” going on in Sindh for the past 40 years.

On May 26, Sindh Chief Secretary Mumtaz Ali Shah notified a three-member committee, headed by senior member Board of Revenue Qazi Shahid Pervez and comprising General Administration secretary Saeed Ahmed Mangnejo and deputy director (PRC) Nazir Ahmed Qureshi, to probe into complaints and reports regarding issuance of domicile certificates to non-residents of districts/province of Sindh.

The terms of reference of the committee are “to inspect and scrutinise the record of domicile certificates issued in various districts; to inquire into the complaints and reports, identify the domicile certificates issued to non-residents of the district, fix responsibility and give its clear recommendations for further action”.

Calls upon CJP to probe ‘corrupt practices’ in Sindh

The notification said that the committee “shall give its initial report regarding districts highlighted in the complaints and report within seven days”.

Around two years ago, MQM-P leader Khawaja Izharul Hasan had filed a petition against the issuance of domiciles and permanent residence certificates (PRCs) to the people not residing in Karachi and sought formulation of a policy with regard to the issuance of the two important documents.

Speaking at a press conference at the temporary headquarters of the MQM-P in Bahadurabad, senior leader Kanwar Naveed Jameel said that ‘merit’ had been ignored in formation of the committee and it would have been better if the chief minister constituted a “merit-based committee”.

He said that hundreds of thousands of government jobs in Karachi, Hyderabad and other urban areas of Sindh had been given to people on the basis of fake domiciles against the principle of merit.

He alleged that the bureaucracy of Sindh had issued fake domiciles under a planned conspiracy to “steal” the right of the people of urban areas of the province including Mohajirs, Punjabis and Pakhtuns permanently settled here.

Mr Jameel went on to say that the Sindh government had adopted a similar policy against the people of urban areas that was being implemented in India by Narendra Modi against Muslims.

Speaking on the occasion, Khwaja Izhar said that the notification to constitute the committee was illegal and unconstitutional. “All members of the committee had denied in court about issuance of fake domiciles,” he said.

“The Sindh government has committed contempt of court by setting up the committee and its notification appears to be an attempt to influence the court proceedings,” he said, referring to his case pending before the SHC.

He said that all important functionaries of the Sindh government as well as commissioners and deputy commissioners were on notice in this case.

The MQM leader said that for the past five years he had been running from pillar to post on the issue of fake domiciles but no one, including the CM, tried to listen to this serious matter.

He said that according to the Constitution and Services Act, grade 1 to grade 15 jobs were the right of local people, but the youths of Karachi, Hyderabad, Mirpurkhas, Sukkur and Nawabshah were not given government employment.

He said that it was the right of local people to get jobs in police in their cities but the provincial government “usurped” this right by posting 150 officers from rural areas to Karachi.

He demanded that action be taken against those officers who issued fake domiciles.

He said bribes worth “billions” of rupees were involved in the issuance of fake domiciles and this case came within the ambit of the National Accountability Bureau and it should take notice of it.

Khwaja Izhar also appealed to the chief justice of Pakistan to take notice of the “corrupt practices” going on in Sindh for the past 40 years.

Abdul Qadir Khanzada, Zahid Mansoor, Mahfouz Yar Khan and others were also present.

Published in Dawn, June 2nd, 2020