Karachi food poisoning case: Parents forgive suspects, decline to pursue further action

Published January 14, 2019
Minor brothers, Ahmad, 1.5-years-old, and Muhammad, 5-years-old, had died in November 2018 after the family dined out at Zamzama's Arizona Grill restaurant and afterwards consumed candy from a shop outside an amusement park on Seaview. ─ DawnNewsTV
Minor brothers, Ahmad, 1.5-years-old, and Muhammad, 5-years-old, had died in November 2018 after the family dined out at Zamzama's Arizona Grill restaurant and afterwards consumed candy from a shop outside an amusement park on Seaview. ─ DawnNewsTV

The parents of two Karachi children ─ who had died last year after consuming food from an upscale restaurant ─ told the court on Monday that they had forgiven those responsible and didn't want to initiate further action against the suspects.

The minor brothers, Ahmad, 1.5-years-old, and Muhammad, 5-years-old, had died in November 2018 after the family dined out at Zamzama's Arizona Grill restaurant and afterwards consumed candy from a shop outside an amusement park on Seaview. The children had started vomiting after consuming food which caused dehydration, kidney failure and eventually death.

Police had initiated a probe into the matter and the restaurant was sealed for forensic investigation. Multiple samples of food collected from the restaurant, the victims' house as well as from the bodies were sent to the Punjab Forensic Science Agency as well as SGS Korangi for examination.

A Sindh High Court bench on Monday resumed hearing the bail application of the two suspects arrested in the case.

The parents of the deceased children appeared in court today and said they had forgiven those responsible and didn't wish to take any further action.

The lawyer for the restaurant also apprised the court of a compromise being reached between both parties.

A lab report that the court had earlier asked for was submitted in court today by the Sindh Food Authority. The report concluded that the children had died of poisoning. It explained that there was a high quantity of E.coli bacteria found in the expired meat recovered from the restaurant.

An SFA official told the court that the cause of death was the ingestion of a large quantity of E.coli, according to the lab report.

The court ordered copies of the settlement to be submitted to the trial court.

Opinion

Editorial

1971 in retrospect
Updated 28 Nov, 2022

1971 in retrospect

The point of no return came when the military launched Operation Searchlight in March 1971.
Gender-based violence
28 Nov, 2022

Gender-based violence

IT is a war without boundaries and seemingly without end. A UN report on femicide released on Nov 25, the...
Battle against dacoits
28 Nov, 2022

Battle against dacoits

THE Punjab police is clearly fighting a formidable, and so far losing, battle against the criminal gangs based in ...
Policy rate hike
Updated 27 Nov, 2022

Policy rate hike

The decision to hike the policy rate by 100bps is a step in the right direction, even if intended to appease the IMF.
Vawda’s reprieve
27 Nov, 2022

Vawda’s reprieve

FAISAL Vawda should be relieved. After years of running from a reckoning for submitting a false declaration in his...
Gujarat’s ghosts
27 Nov, 2022

Gujarat’s ghosts

TWO decades have passed since the bloody Gujarat riots, one of the worst spasms of anti-Muslim violence witnessed in...