Alert Sign Dear reader, online ads enable us to deliver the journalism you value. Please support us by taking a moment to turn off Adblock on Dawn.com.

Alert Sign Dear reader, please upgrade to the latest version of IE to have a better reading experience

12 places you didn't know existed in Bahawalpur

Updated Jan 11, 2016 03:34pm

Your Name:

Recipient Email:

It’s time to put on your travel shoes, because these photos will definitely make you want to head out to Bahawalpur.

The princely state in Punjab boasts a treasure of historic buildings, monuments and parks that many have never heard of.

1. Visible from several miles in Cholistan desert, the majestic Derawar Fort is a sight not to miss

2. Darbar Mahal will definitely take you back to the Ancient Mughalai Fort

3. Another attraction is the replica of Moti Mosque in Delhi, called the Abbasi Mosque

4. Noor Mahal and its stunning interior should be added to your itinerary

5. You might want to go 73km out of Bahawalpur to visit this crumbling beauty: the Tomb of Bibi Jawindi in Uch Sharif

6. Have you ever heard of the Farid Gate in Bahawalpur?

7. And here's another palace, the Sadiq Garh Palace

Sadiq Garh Palace. The #abadoned one. #mphotocapril #lawn #sky #dirt #italian #architecture

A photo posted by Safi Saldera (@safisaldera) on

8. The city also boasts of one of the largest national parks of South Asia, the Lal Sohanra National Park

9. Even the central library is an architectural marvel

Central #Library #Bahawalpur #punjab #Pakistan

A photo posted by Bahawalpur (@bahawalpur_bwp) on

10. How stunning is the Gulzar Mahal?

#Gulzar Mahal #Bahawalpur

A photo posted by محمد احمد خان (@muhammadahmedkhan) on

The interior of Gulzar Palace is also strikingly beautiful

11. Who would believe this is the Government Boys High School?

12. All the nawabs of Bahawalpur are buried in this royal graveyard in Cholistan desert:

Do you have pictures that you would like to send us? Tag them with #dawndotcom on your Instagram account and get a chance to be featured on @dawndotcom, and possibly our website

Your Name:

Recipient Email:

M.Saeed Nov 18, 2015 05:09pm

But, all of these architectural masterpieces are gravely neglected and in apathetic state. Reason, we have no respect for our historic past.

Pakistani Nov 18, 2015 05:10pm

MashAllah. Breath taking. I will include Bahawalpur in my next trip to Pakistan.

Lashari Nov 18, 2015 05:14pm

waaaooo

Ahmed Nov 18, 2015 05:20pm

beautiful

Syed Husain Nov 18, 2015 05:32pm

We need to do everything we can to preserve these beautiful masterpieces. The Tomb of Bibi Jawindi in Uch Sharif is absolutely beautiful. Let us do what we can so that it does not deteriorate any more.

reen Nov 18, 2015 05:36pm

beautiful! what a treat

Khan Nov 18, 2015 05:47pm

My city..so serene and homely..great place to live historically and culturally.

Zala Nov 18, 2015 06:04pm

It these structures were in Lahore, they would have been looked after quite well.

Fawaz Khalil Nov 18, 2015 06:06pm

Bahawalpur is a beautiful place....sadly most of the mahals are taken over by the army as their offices so I doubt if you can visit them....however that is also the reason they are maintained well (contrast the state of Noor Mahal with Sadiq Garh palace). A pic or two of Sadiq Public Schools sprawling green fields or beautiful buildings would have complemented the story even more.

dawn Nov 18, 2015 06:50pm

I have not been to B'pur but these seems like worth a visit. Have the Americans left?

Shahid Hussain Soomro Nov 18, 2015 06:54pm

Saraiki Belt has being neglected. there are also many other historical places which also need more attentions.

Vishnu Mahant Nov 18, 2015 07:10pm

What a beautiful architectural delight, it is a crime to neglect it. If Pakistan learns to develop it as a tourism place, it will succeed beyond belief. Sometimes you need to open your doors to the world by making it safe and accessible!

Tahir Nov 18, 2015 07:30pm

My great country and just one of its great cities. We must take full ownership of the thousand years of wonderful history of Muslims in Hindustan and what is left of it in Pakistan. As this history, iconic monuments, and heritage of our ancestors is being erased and eradicated in Baharat next door, it is imperative that we recognize our responsibility today and take special care of historical places.

Rashid Siddiqui Nov 18, 2015 07:40pm

Wow! Thank you for such a wonderful piece of information especially some stunning images of the city's past. I hope I could visit this great historic city in my next visit to the country.

faridullah Nov 18, 2015 07:45pm

Wow, what an era.

S. I. Rafiq Nov 18, 2015 07:53pm

Salute to Nawabs of Bahalpur. They ruled their state with full autonomy under the Britsh Raj. Bahawalpur was a welfare state. When Pakistan was created, the nawab gave millions of rupees to Pak govt. to run it affairs. Bahawalpur could have stayed an independent nation, but it opted to join Pakistan.

Agha Ata Nov 18, 2015 08:18pm

I can honestly say that I have been in Pakistan for 45 years, but never saw or even heard of such beautiful places in Bahawalpur. It is a shame that many of us do not even know the beauties of this country.

Thank you Writer!

Khwarezmi Nov 18, 2015 08:18pm

I have exploredthe world from East to West but forgot the amazing sites in Pakistan. Time to sepnd my tine and money in Pakistan.

Pappu Bhai Verma Nov 18, 2015 08:29pm

Mesmerizing indeed! I never knew Pakistan had so many hidden treasures! Indian and global media only show dark side or Pakistan and we tend to believe it. Pakistan tourism board should launch a massive campaign to promote tourism.

Changez_Khan Nov 18, 2015 08:52pm

My goodness. Awesome picture. Pakistan has amazing treasure and people in Pakistan not thankful for that.

Syed Shah Bukhari Nov 18, 2015 08:52pm

@Tahir. Brother, none of Mughal architecture is erased in India, in fact they are in better state than in Pakistan.

Minhaj Ahmad khan Nov 18, 2015 09:57pm

My city love it. It has own very antique places

amer mahmood Nov 18, 2015 09:58pm

Classic photos. Loved them. Yes indeed a pity to see their poor state. There ought to be a government fund for this, lord knows if there is one!! Anyways, not much of tourisim to generate income. Not much of an international PR. The one we have drives people away.

But great photos, A must to visit. Great to hold corporate event/fashion shows to generate income

ibiubu111 Nov 18, 2015 10:05pm

...What, no mention of Sadiq Public School. I know its not an icon in history, but an icon in my heart!!!! Attended SPS 1962-1966

Awais Ijaz bhatti Nov 18, 2015 10:12pm

Indeed we had great heritage and visiting places but we don't care them and slowly and steadily they are turning into ruins.... tourism department must look into it and take emergent measures to save them all

Reality Bites Nov 18, 2015 10:27pm

Rich in culture and architecture not to mention one of the sweetest languages in Pakistan, Saraiki.

I would also include Sadiq Public School, a beautiful campus and institution which happens to be my school for eight years.

Asif Nov 18, 2015 11:18pm

This time it is a must for me to visit this place, simpily excellent!

Dr.Cajetan Coelho Nov 18, 2015 11:41pm

Fantastic. Thanks.

Amreeki Nov 18, 2015 11:48pm

They all look really nice in pictures. I just hope they aren't photoshopped. But I would definitely make it a point to stop over in this town next time I'm in Pakistan.

rameesha shauket Nov 19, 2015 12:00am

I'm live in BWP. I have visited and re-visited these places many times because they carry a real magic in them. But sadly some of them are not like the pictures above.... They are neglected.

ahmedj Nov 19, 2015 01:22am

Bahawal Victoria Hospital, Fawara Chowk, Islamia University and Sadiq Public School have been missed. There are also many fortresses outside Bahawalpur just like Darawar fort. The story behind Darawar fort is that the bricks were transported from Uch Sharif, which is 73 km away. The fort itself was built by several masons especially brought from far flung areas. This is the reason that all the bastions around the fort are not identical to each other.

Need to have a part II of this article.

parveez Nov 19, 2015 01:25am

I have been to Bahawalpur many time, and only been to NOOR MAHAL. I will be there next month, and will go and visit some of these places. Thanks for sharing these places.

Silvan Nov 19, 2015 03:04am

Mind blowing pictorial article

Khabeer ul Tanwir Nov 19, 2015 03:28am

The author forgot to mention Sadiq Public School. A wonder in the field of education.

Many politicians, armed officers, civil servants, doctor and engineers have been students are Old Sadiqians

Zulfiqar_Ahmed Nov 19, 2015 05:29am

Very beautiful. Had no idea Bahawalpur had such history. Will have to visit.

Ehsan Nov 19, 2015 06:27am

The basics of preserving ones land includes to keep your sorrouding clean, which no one at least apparently seems interested in.

Shahid Akbar, USA Nov 19, 2015 08:25am

Thank you for your efforts.

thinkaboutit Nov 19, 2015 08:57am

Why are these amazing historical sites not publicised more and taken better care of? forget international tourism many people from pakistan will visit this city for tourism if there is more awareness. The people in Turkey have restored and maintained their histoical sites very well, it seems we are bent to do the opposite

Pak Soul Nov 19, 2015 08:58am

Have to include Bahawalpur in my trip to Pakistan. So beautiful

aga khan Nov 19, 2015 08:59am

Just beautiful. Tourist department must advertise such beauties aggressively.

Indian Nov 19, 2015 09:35am

Your 'in pictures' sections are always awesome

Ammar Nov 19, 2015 09:51am

well done Mr Photographer

Zubair Rafi Nov 19, 2015 05:20pm

Beautiful place to Visit. Long live Pakistan

Buzdar Baloch Nov 19, 2015 06:10pm

I always resented taking over of these buildings by army in Bahawalpur (even though i was in army then). But comparing the condition, I guess the best maintained are the ones in military possession.

AIZ Nov 19, 2015 06:49pm

Miss Bahalwalpur .... left that place ages ago.....

khuram Nov 19, 2015 11:38pm

Our pride, Quiad e Azam Solar Power Park is missing in pictures.

Samina Nov 20, 2015 03:23am

Stunning! With so many historical monuments and architectural marvels, the city government if committed can easily make a substantial revenue by promoting tourism and preserving the sites. Thanks Dawn for sharing.

qaiser Nov 20, 2015 06:56am

One of these palaces have been designed by Agha Ahmed Hussain the architect of Mohatta Palace Karachi. Should be declared as heritage.

Neha Nov 20, 2015 08:56am

@Zala No Zala. We have no respect for history irrespective of the city. With our new notion of development we'll destroy everything old. The Orange Line in Lahore is an example of it.

Saad S Nov 20, 2015 10:54am

never knew about so many palaces in Bahawalpur. worth visiting.

Waseem Nov 20, 2015 12:00pm

@dawn Who Aemericans? :D It's in Pakistan dude.

faisal Nov 20, 2015 06:52pm

There are some other beautiful and historic places in bahawalpur: 14.Sadiq Egerten College over 125 years old my sweet college. 15. Sadiq public school alike Aitchison school Lahore. 16. Bahawalpur Victoria Hospital

Pardesi Nov 21, 2015 04:48am

Beautiful Mughal/Indian architecture..

FAK Nov 21, 2015 08:25am

Such stunning pieces of architecture. I have visited most of these and it was so refreshing to find them together. Great work.

Akram Nov 21, 2015 04:53pm

I have been to the Darewar Fort but many of the others I managed to miss.