ISLAMABAD: A villager was killed Saturday when Indian Border Security Force (BSF) personnel resorted to unprovoked firing at the Line of Control (LoC) in Rawalakot sector.
"A sixty-year-old civilian Muhammad Aslam, resident of Polas village, was cutting grass and wood one hundred to 150 metres inside the LoC in AJK when he came under Indian firing and embraced martyrdom," said an Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR) statement.
The ISPR added that Pakistani troops are befittingly responding to Indian firing.
Meanwhile, Deputy High Commissioner of India J.P. Singh was sent a protest letter by the Foreign Ministry over Muhammad Aslam's death.
While condemning the incident, Foreign Ministry Spokesperson Riffat Masood said Pakistan called upon India to restrain its security forces from firing on civilians and stop the ceasefire violations across the LoC and Working Boundary.
The spokesperson said the government has offered its condolences to the bereaved family of the victim.
"The man was an inhabitant of the area and was cutting grass 150 meters inside the Pakistani side of the LoC," the spokesperson remarked.
In December 2013, Pakistan and India had pledged to uphold the 2003 LoC ceasefire accord which had been left in tatters by repeated violations that year. The truce breaches had put the nascent bilateral peace dialogue on hold.
The directors general of military operations (DGMOs) of the two countries had agreed to a number of steps to keep the ceasefire accord intact.
The meeting had taken place on the initiative of the political leadership of the two countries for ending tensions along the LoC.
The Himalayan territory of Kashmir is divided between India and Pakistan by the UN-monitored de facto border of LoC but is claimed in full by both the countries.
Ceasefire violations along the LoC and Working Boundary between Pakistan and India continue intermittently, with casualties reported on both sides.
Take a look: Indian BSF resorts to unprovoked shelling