CHINIOT: Two passengers burned to death and seven others sustained injuries after a van caught fire here on Thursday on Faisalabad-Chiniot Road.

Reports said a fire erupted in a Chiniot-bound van due to a short circuit. As a result of which two passengers were burnt alive while seven others sustained injuries.

Rescue 1122 have shifted the injured to DHQ and Allied hospitals.

Chiniot District Police Officer Abdul Qadir Qamar said the van caught fire owing to a short circuit.

He refuted the report that CNG cylinders exploded, saying two cylinders were intact. He said the Oil and Gas Regulatory Authority had allowed installation of two cylinders in a van.

A similar incident had taken place some two years ago when a fire broke out in a Lahore-bound wagon because of substandard cylinders, resulting in 23 deaths. After that incident, traffic police had launched a drive against installation of multiple cylinders.

Traffic DSP Tahir Nawaz said police were keeping an eye on wagons having more than two cylinders. He said violators were being prosecuted.

Published in Dawn, October 31st, 2014



24 Jan, 2022

Anti-extremism policy

HAD there been more far-sighted policymaking on the part of the state and an understanding of how religious ...
Government’s silence
Updated 24 Jan, 2022

Government’s silence

A MAJOR trial is underway in London during which Pakistan has repeatedly been mentioned as the place where payment...
24 Jan, 2022

Cutting mangroves

FOR Karachi, the mangrove cover along its coastline is a thin line of defence against potential oceanic and climatic...
Yemen atrocity
Updated 23 Jan, 2022

Yemen atrocity

The sooner this war is ended, the better, to halt the suffering of Yemen's people and ensure security of all regional states.
23 Jan, 2022

Regressive taxation

THE FBR appears to have kicked up a new and unnecessary controversy by serving notices on currency dealers to ...
23 Jan, 2022

Medico-legal flaws

ON Friday, a 13-page verdict authored by Justice Ali Zia Bajwa of the Lahore High Court revealed a shocking fact...