SYDNEY: Australia has issued arrest warrants for two men suspected of fighting alongside militants in Iraq and Syria, police said Wednesday, including one who reportedly posed with severed heads.

The Australian Federal Police said warrants had been issued for two former Sydney men, Mohamed Elomar and Khaled Sharrouf, who have reportedly joined the Islamic State (IS) jihadist group fighters.

“The warrants relate to alleged terrorism related activity,” a police spokeswoman said.

"Should Sharrouf or Elomar return to Australia, these warrants authorise law enforcement to arrest them immediately."

The federal police said they were unable to comment further, given the matter was yet to be tested in court.

But reports said that Elomar had posted photos of himself online posing with the severed heads of Syrian government soldiers thought to have died in recent fighting in the northern province of Raqa, where militants from IS seized an army base.

"Those photographs, if they were authentic, were of course abominable," Attorney-General George Brandis told the Australian Broadcasting Corporation late Tuesday.

"If they were authentic what they demonstrated was this man's participation in, and in fact promotion of violent crimes, probably war crimes."

Australia has expressed deep concern that about 150 Australians, some of them dual nationals, were learning the “terrorist trade” fighting alongside Sunni militants in Iraq and Syria.

The government has confirmed that two Australians, including an 18-year-old, have already been behind deadly suicide bombings in the Iraq and Syria conflicts, without providing further details.

“The one thing no Australian should ever think is that this is a problem that exists on the other side of the world,” Brandis said Tuesday.

"Because while it may take shape on the other side of the world, the number of Australians who are participating in this war fighting in Syria and Iraq shows that this is a problem that exists and germinates within our suburbs, within the suburbs of Sydney and Melbourne and Brisbane."

Prime Minister Tony Abbott Wednesday issued a warning against citizens going abroad “to fight in other people's wars”.

“I have a very strong message for any Australian who is thinking of going overseas to engage in guerrilla warfare, anything of this nature — don't do it,” he told reporters.

"It is a serious crime and if you come back to Australia, you will be arrested, you will be charged, you will be jailed."

Opinion

Editorial

Back to politics
Updated 29 Nov, 2022

Back to politics

PDM and PTI must realise that neither will get what they want if they keep fighting bitterly at every turn.
Election delay
29 Nov, 2022

Election delay

OF recent, leaders from the ruling PML-N have been dropping hints about a possible delay in general elections after...
Sugar woes
29 Nov, 2022

Sugar woes

IT’S that time of year again when cane growers get anxious over the delay in the commencement of the new sugar...
1971 in retrospect
Updated 28 Nov, 2022

1971 in retrospect

The point of no return came when the military launched Operation Searchlight in March 1971.
Gender-based violence
28 Nov, 2022

Gender-based violence

IT is a war without boundaries and seemingly without end. A UN report on femicide released on Nov 25, the...
Battle against dacoits
28 Nov, 2022

Battle against dacoits

THE Punjab police is clearly fighting a formidable, and so far losing, battle against the criminal gangs based in ...