Boko Haram abducts another 60 women, girls

Published June 25, 2014
A screengrab shows a man claiming to be the leader of Nigerian extremist group Boko Haram Abubakar Shekau. — AFP file photo
A screengrab shows a man claiming to be the leader of Nigerian extremist group Boko Haram Abubakar Shekau. — AFP file photo

MAIDUGURI: Suspected Boko Haram militants have abducted more than 60 women and girls, some as young as three, in the latest kidnappings in northeast Nigeria over two months since they took away more than 200 schoolgirls.

Analysts said the kidnapping, which happened during a raid on Kummabza village in the Damboa district of Borno state, could be an attempt by the Islamist group to refocus attention on its demands for the release of militant fighters.

Boko Haram has indicated that it would be willing to release the 219 schoolgirls that it has held hostage since April 14 in exchange for the freedom of its comrades currently held in Nigerian jails.

Nigeria initially refused to sanction any deal but efforts have since been made to open talks with the group, with a possible prisoner swap part of discussions.


Islamist group may be preparing grounds for a prisoner swap: analysts


The military in Abuja said in a tweet late on Monday it could not confirm the latest abductions and spokesmen were not immediately available for comment when contacted on Tuesday.

But a senior officer in the Damboa local government said: “Over 60 women were hijacked and forcefully taken away by the terrorists.”

“The village was also destroyed,” he said, adding that locals had fled their homes to other parts of Borno and across the state border into Adamawa.

“Among those abducted are children between the ages of three and 12,” he added.

Aji Khalil, a local vigilante leader, said: “Over 60 women were abducted by Boko Haram terrorists. Four villagers who tried to escape were shot dead on the spot.”

Damboa local government officials said they were afraid to speak out because of the controversy surrounding the Chibok abductions, with Nigeria’s government coming under heavy criticism for its slow response.

Another resident, who fled to the Borno state capital Maiduguri and also requested anonymity, said more than 30 men were killed during the raid, which began last Thursday.

“The attackers held the whole village hostage for the next three days,” he added.

News of the abductions came as locals in three villages of the Askira Uba district, some 60km to the south, said they had been attacked over the weekend.

Resident Emos Ali said “many” people had died, although no official toll was available.

A bomb blast blamed on Boko Haram killed at least eight at a public health college in the northern city of Kano on Monday.

ESTABLISHED TACTIC: Boko Haram, which has been waging a deadly insurgency since 2009, used the kidnapping of women and young girls as a tactic even before the mass abduction of the schoolgirls in the remote Borno town of Chibok.

The Chibok abduction triggered a groundswell of outrage within Nigeria that spread overseas, leading to a social media campaign and international pressure on the government to act.

Borno senator Ali Ndume confirmed the latest abductions and said Boko Haram “took advantage” as people returned to the area to check on their farms during flooding when there was no military presence in the area.

“Boko Haram selected young males and females” as hostages, and “left the elderly”, he said, amid local media reports that some 30 young boys may have also been taken.

Abductions have been a regular occurrence since the Chibok kidnapping, he added.

Ryan Cummings, a South Africa-based security analyst for Red 24, said the latest kidnappings could be a way for Boko Haram to redirect international focus on the Chibok hostages.

“It seemed that with international and domestic focus on the issue waning, so has the Nigerian government’s efforts in finding a resolution to the hostage situation,” he said by email.

“It was reported on May 26 that the Nigerian government had rescinded on a hostage exchange agreement with the sect and that negotiations subsequently had stalled.

“The latest abduction, if confirmed, may be an attempt by Boko Haram to both resume and expedite hostage negotiations.”

Published in Dawn, June 25th, 2014

Opinion

Editorial

Energy inflation
Updated 23 May, 2024

Energy inflation

The widening gap between the haves and have-nots is already tearing apart Pakistan’s social fabric.
Culture of violence
23 May, 2024

Culture of violence

WHILE political differences are part of the democratic process, there can be no justification for such disagreements...
Flooding threats
23 May, 2024

Flooding threats

WITH temperatures in GB and KP forecasted to be four to six degrees higher than normal this week, the threat of...
Bulldozed bill
Updated 22 May, 2024

Bulldozed bill

Where once the party was championing the people and their voices, it is now devising new means to silence them.
Out of the abyss
22 May, 2024

Out of the abyss

ENFORCED disappearances remain a persistent blight on fundamental human rights in the country. Recent exchanges...
Holding Israel accountable
22 May, 2024

Holding Israel accountable

ALTHOUGH the International Criminal Court’s prosecutor wants arrest warrants to be issued for Israel’s prime...